Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Install Floyd (non-floating) on OLP

I want to replace the trem on the OLP beater I got recently. Will I have to do any routing or can I simply replace it? Sorry if it is a dumb question but I am learning..Thanks!!
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if it is the one that already has a floyd then you should be ok (just measure the gap between the mounting posts)
    if its the one with a fender style bridge then you will need to accuratley measure for the 2 mounting posts and maybe a little extra routing around the cavity, it's not something i trust myself to do so i always take my guitars to a luthier with jobs like this and i've been mucking around with them for years.
    which ever way you decide to go remember...measure twice, cut once
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommy is right- there are too many variables when trying to centre the Floyd. Non-floating is definitely the way to go when installing a Floyd on an OLP.

I love my Floyd converted OLP. A good luthier will make it play like a champ when you're through with it.

Jimmy Gravity does the best work, I have found, and he's local to you.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have converted an OLP with a strat trem to a Floyd Rose (non-floating).

The cavity does not require extra routing for a FR or Lisenced FR (standard types). It does need to be lightly filed down on the whammy bar side of the cavity though so that the trem bar anchor post that sticks out on the bottom won't scrape on the edge of the body. The nut routing is the hardest part of the mod.

If you have done guitar repair work / building, and have fine measuring, drill press, and routing skills, you can do this, and I can walk you through it. If you have ANY doubt about your confidence in your luthier skills though -- this is NOT an easy task, and you should probably get it to someone to have it done. An OLP is really too nice a guitar to experiment on and possibly mess up!

However your Floyd ends up on there though -- I can assure you that you will love the guitar with the mod!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. It is really great how guitar players whatever your skill, are always willing to help and share the ideas and successes. Very cool. Thanks.
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found that when I did it I just needed to use a Dremel tool to edge out some of the top (still under the floyd) so the floyd didn't hit anywhere when it was used. I don't think you would need to do any serious routing of the body. However, I did have to use a small router/homemade jig to install the floyd nut. I think this was the hardest part and I practiced on other wood to hone my skills before doing the real neck. When I finally did it on the neck I was stressing big time! The front edge of the floyd has to be 25" from where the front of the nut is. I would put the low and high e strings on the floyd and make sure it's centered so the strings line up down the neck to know where to drill your holes for the floyd bushing holes.

There was a post a long time ago on Guitars101.com by Jedi McFly (I think) on installing a floyd on a Strat. It was awesome. The post is probably long gone but maybe he would post pics/steps here again?? Also Dan Erlewine's repair book from stewmac has a good section on it.

The one thing I would like to learn to do is refret a strat neck. If anyone here has any tips or point me in a direction with good educational materials, let me know (probably should start a new thread, eh). I know the biggest thing will be laying out the money for the tools in the beginning. I'm thinking of doing it, practicing on a cheap neck for fun.

Good luck
    Chris