Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:16 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Default Are WE the problem?

Driving last night with songs on shuffle I hit two great old VH songs followed by a recent Deep Purple song. It made me think.

I was thinking how great it is that DP still produce albums and tour almost non stop and how I'm happy that they can just turn out good music for their and their fans enjoyment, and it IS good but doesn't end up on "the charts" or the radio.

Then it hit me that that might be the problem with VH. I'd LOVE to hear a full new album of VH with DLR and I guarantee there would diamonds and rocks in that album. I also guarantee that it wont chart and particularly here in Aus, definitely no radio play and THAT might be the problem. VH is such an iconic monster (particularly in US) and their fans have such incredible expectations of them, that anything other than chart success & radio play will be deemed a failure and get panned by critics & fans alike. They could well be thinking, "why bother".

They are on a hiding to nothing. If they do an album, no matter how good it is, it will not be #1 and will not get radio play. It will not please critics and prbably a lot of fans. It is also becoming a more difficult method of making $$$$ and now that they are not backed by WB it is inherently more risky to the band. I can see how there is not a huge incentive for them.

This is all without even taking into consideration possible/probable personality conflicts within the band.

Hope I'm wrong.

Glenn

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I see where you are coming from on this but to be honest any record label would put out a VH album, it would sell. Might not go quad platnum but what does these days besides Jay-Z or some shit. If Azoff is involved, he'll make it happen. I guess my only concern would be the conflict part. But who's to say Ed being off the sauce hasn't made him more approachable and receptive to ideas. And with Wolf there I think the sky is the limit.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

While I agree with a number of your points, I am of the view that if a new DLR fronted VH album were to be released in the same vein as The Eagles, AC/DC and Journey, it would would easily double the sales of VHIII and likely go on much further than that.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Agreed. Didn't stop AC/DC from putting out a new album and promoting the HELL out of it.

You can't hardly watch a sporting event right now and not hear at least one AC/DC song.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Fans & critics are not the problem here...

It's the lazy-assed band that won't get off their punk asses and work. The Van Halens and Roth are all far too young to retire. They know it. We know it.

All of us have contributions and accomplishments to be made until our time is up. If you aren't working it... then you'd be an oxygen thief!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Musicians write and record music and perform,period.Fans are not the problem we are the answer. I really think if they put their soul into it they have one good album left to give.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Van Halen fans can fret endlessly over the fall and stall of the band post-1998, but it has everything to do (and only to do) with the fundamental decision-making abilities of the "band" (Ed and Al). There's infinite speculation out there, more half-truths than most care to sift through, a couple of reunions, and a few legitimate life events (cancer, addiction, divorce) that have filled the past ten years. When Van Halen produces the fans are there (e.g. the VH III tour, the 2004 tour, the 2007-2008 tour). Record sales are not what they once were (nor will they ever be that way again), but the fans, in some capacity, would be there for new music. Perhaps that's not good enough for VH; perhaps my previous statement is merely more speculation. Regardless, the reason Van Halen has hardly been a band for ten years is because of Van Halen--nothing more, nothing less.

It seems most new threads in Main start with a question mark. Anyone else notice that?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    While I agree with a number of your points, I am of the view that if a new DLR fronted VH album were to be released in the same vein as The Eagles, AC/DC and Journey, it would would easily double the sales of VHIII and likely go on much further than that.
    True...but then again I could shit in a bunch of boxes and put in on Ebay and market them as Magical Wizard Truffles and those would sell more than VHIII....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Fuck,why bother.....As Ed said,"they hate ya when you're the same,hate ya if you're different.." Somethin' like that anyways.....

I say let them chill, they done kiddies...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    True...but then again I could shit in a bunch of boxes and put in on Ebay and market them as Magical Wizard Truffles and those would sell more than VHIII....
    In that case, I will have to fully read and re-read any further eBay auctions before clicking the "Buy It Now" button.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Buyer beware.

btw - In answer to the original post here, I don't think I'm the problem. Unless it's the fact that I'm too poor to keep forking over dough for tours and duplicate cd's.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The onus is on Edward and Alex; it's not on the fans.

The band is often a punchline now, thanks to the revolving door right next to the microphone stand. Putting a kid in the lineup added more one-liners to the joke parade.

With that said, no question the lukewarm reaction by fans to VHIII stung Eddie, but again, that's his onus, not ours.

He has said in the past (paraphrasing here), "If we touch one person with our music, it's worth it."

If fear of commercial failure is keeping the band from recording new tunes, that line is utter bullshit - which seems to be par for the course for this group.

Glenn, you nailed it in your original post. No matter what they put out, it won't approach what they accomplished (commercially) at their apex.

In my opinion, they ought to internalize that fact, suck it up, and rock.

Or, retire.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Blame Canada.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

No, we are not the problem.

I'm relatively certian that DLR is not the problem. The fact that an album may not do well commercially has not stopped DLR from putting out new material in the past.

Eddie is the problem. It has been stated repeatedly. There are new tracks in existance that DLR and VH have recorded together. DLR is chomping at the bit to release these songs, and has stated this.

I personally believe that the major issue is Eddie's insecurity. For years he was in VH with pretty dominant personalities. Dave had a major influence in the direction of the music for CVH. Sammy was a larger-than-life personality, who had a major influence in the direction of the music. Once Eddie had an opportunity to create music his way, without anyone steering the direction of the music, it was a critical failure(VHIII) Gary Cherone was just happy to be in the band, and I'm sure wasn't going to tell Eddie Van Halen that he should do anything different. Anyway, I think that Eddie felt a tremendous amount of resentment toward the fans because they rejected his musical vision.

I think that his idea behind VHIII was to take the band and the music into a new direction, and show DLR and Sammy that he didn't need them to be successful, and that the band's success was due to him and not the frontmen.

When he did the 2004 tour, I think he did it under protest. I think he felt that going back to Sammy or Dave was a step backwards, and an admission that VH had nothing new to offer, and was a nostalgia act.

This theory would explain alot about his behavior. "Okay, so now VH is a nostalgia act. This is what the fans want, why not cash in? Stripe up some guitars, pedals and sell them. Charge a shit-load for tickets, and give the fans what they want to see."

Throw alcoholism, a failing marriage, a bout with cancer, and fan rejection all together, and you get the 2004 tour.

I still hold out hope for a new album, but I won't be at all suprised if it doesn't happen.

The reason I still hold out hope is all to do with DLR. He hasn't broke-bad on Eddie yet. All is quiet. If there was no hope for new material, and DLR felt that he was used for a cash-grab tour with no future, he would break all ties with Eddie and start talking shit. Since that hasn't happened, I think there is still a chance.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Blame Canada.
    Nope, I blame South America. Any continent that exports alpacas is subject to suspicion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]