Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default Tokyo 89 - "Mine all mine" not totally live??!!

I've just got a mint copy of Tokyo 89. As much as its a amazing show, I cant help noticing the added background vocals and keyboards in "Mine all mine". Was Allan Fitzgerald doing the keyboards in 89? Or is it a backing tape or sequencer as Eddie calls it. Also, you can hear Sammys vocals in the background vocals, while Sammys singing over it. Strange.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

They were using sequencer during that time. Notice Al is wearing headphones. More than likely he's got the keyboard in one ear and a click track in the other.

carry on
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:21 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    I've just got a mint copy of Tokyo 89. As much as its a amazing show, I cant help noticing the added background vocals and keyboards in "Mine all mine". Was Allan Fitzgerald doing the keyboards in 89? Or is it a backing tape or sequencer as Eddie calls it. Also, you can hear Sammys vocals in the background vocals, while Sammys singing over it. Strange.

Yeah..they sweetened the song on that one...it would fit in well on "RHRN'.
    I still think that "live" cd was mostly studio recordings.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

It all comes from the fact that Ed was not satisfied with "Live Without a Net," even though fans love it.

He wanted to "improve" on it...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

I'm guessing that "Mine all mine" is heavily over dubbed then, cause if I went to a concert and heard Sammys background vocals, while he was still singing lead.......I'd be quite pissed off.

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

If you watch videos from that tour - like the one I embedded: "When It's Love" - you can occasionally hear Eddie or Mike start to sing, but one of them is actually walking or running toward the mic (i.e. Ed at 4:14-4:16). Ed was late because he was at the keyboard "playing" the main keyboard figure.

Van Halen - When It's Love (Live Tokyo 1988)

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to put this video in and watch it again. Been forever...
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    If you watch videos from that tour - like the one I embedded: "When It's Love" - you can occasionally hear Eddie or Mike start to sing, but one of them is actually walking or running toward the mic (i.e. Ed at 4:14-4:16). Ed was late because he was at the keyboard "playing" the main keyboard figure.

Bloody hell!!! You've just beaten me to the punch. I was just going to mention "When its love" aswell. I've noticed that too, and also noticed that Eddies mouth is not matching the harmonys in the "nah nahs" at the end.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I always wanted to see or get a copy of this. Why was it never released officially? It's pro-shot and pro-mixed, with either clean-up overdubs or samples during the show, so why not release it commercially? The same goes for the Toronto show from '95. What a waste of time to shoot, edit and mix these shows and then never release them. Pfft.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    I always wanted to see or get a copy of this. Why was it never released officially? It's pro-shot and pro-mixed, with either clean-up overdubs or samples during the show, so why not release it commercially? The same goes for the Toronto show from '95. What a waste of time to shoot, edit and mix these shows and then never release them. Pfft.
    I agree, the more I hear the ou812 tour stuff, the more I really that period for the band. I'd love to have some quality audio and video from that tour.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Oh, YOU ate one, too? I get it! Finally, after all these years!

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    I agree, the more I hear the ou812 tour stuff, the more I really that period for the band. I'd love to have some quality audio and video from that tour.
    Hear hear! The fact that this footage is out there and not officially released frustrates me. I would really, really love it if the Tokyo 89 and Toronto 95 shows were released. Now that Dave is back with the band, my guess is we'll never see this stuff officially released.

pal, I love the OU812-era shows. Van Halen was filled with so much fire and motivation; they'd already proven themselves on the last tour, but they played like they were trying to prove themselves again. Van Halen were like young guns again, but this time they played things a little slower which allowed the grooves to...well, to groove.

You guys should get your hands on Got The Miracle Fingers. The sound quality isn't the best, but the performance is so kick-ass that you'll find that after a while you won't care.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

When you think Ed's missing a background cue, he's just not singing........Mike took care of all that. He was late on one, but he was running from the keyboard,lol.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post

Yeah, I noticed that a LONG time ago. Always despised this show, for several reasons. I think it was overly polished and to me doesn't do much justice to how great the OU812 tour was (some boots are simply outstanding). I simply can't tolerate the over-polishing, totally takes away from the authenticity of the show.

If anyone has the chance to get Miami June 4, 1988, GET IT. One of my favorite video boots by anybody, I think it's outstanding. 20 songs, more full setlist
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I believe the keyboards and some of the background vocals on "Mine All Mine" during the OU812 tour were taken directly from the studio recording. (I have a good boot, and both sound EXACTLY like the album.) Al wore headphones to play to them. There is simply no other way they could have pulled that song off live. Also, when Ed jumped from keys to guitar on "When It's Love" the sequencer, again, took over.

When VH played "Mine All Mine" on the Balance tour, did they use the same sequence from '88 or was it new (or played live by Fitz)? Anyone know?

All of the keyboard songs on RHRN have pre-recorded background vocals accompanying them.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

As a matter of fact it was planned to release both concerts as VHS/DVDs.

Ed mixed and edited the Tokyo Concert as it was planned to release that Footage as a follow up to LWAN. Also, it should cover the time from 89 to 90 were they were taking a break for almost a year.
    But Ed wasn't satisfied with the results he came up with, so they decided to delay that release and release a live album after the next tour, which they did with the RHRN CD.
    In 1996 they also wanted to release the Toronto DVD they filmed one year before. It was already edited and the product was ready for release. They also planned to include Bonus materlial with Backstage scenes and the band walking around the city. It was decribed as the scenes you see in the Amsterdam Video.
    But as the release date got closer the band split up with Sam in 96 and got back with Dave. So the release for a Sam fronted VH product was a no-go as you can imagine.
    After the band split again with Dave they wanted to go "forwards" with Gary, so again it didn't make sense to release the DVD.

It's not like the band didn't think it would be a great thing to release those concerts but sometimes bad timing and "band politics" simply make it impossible even you want to release something for the fans.