Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Arcade Fire Live in LA

On a last minute whim, I picked up a 16th row seat off an eBay seller for Arcade Fire at the Greek Theatre for tonight's show. I wasn't too sure if I'd like the show or not as I haven't been able to get into their new album "Neon Bible" and my only real exposure to them has been their song "Wake Up" which was the intro music for U2's last tour.

As it turned out, the show was a revelation. By the third song I was hooked and it turned out to be an excellent concert. The band has at least 10 members and often some members switch positions, the girl (who's the wife of the frontman) who also sings lead on a few songs also played drums for a few tunes while the regular drummer played guitar. Basically between all the members, just about every musical instrument you can imagine was utilized at some point from accordion to cello to bullhorn to French Horn. The band really has a unique sound that at times made me think of bands like Big Country, ELO and
    Clannad.

They played about 3/4ths of the songs off the Neon Bible album along with a couple off the first album including a great version of "Tunnels." The concert got off to a somewhat tentative start with opener "Black Mirror," however once the band launched into some of their more up tempo tunes, the crowd got into it. Also as I'd guess the poor soundman had his hands full trying to get a decent mix from all the various instruments the first few minutes of the show as there was some minor feedback and it was tough hearing the vocals through the mix at first Overall, the songs come off far better live than on their studio albums. Although the show was barely 90 minutes long, it still was a very satisfying set. As expected, "Wake Up" ended the set. I think a lot of people attended the show in much the same mindset as me, basically knowing this band is on the cusp of really hitting it big and wondering if they are really capable of delivering the goods - they are.

Many times through their set, the band was really firing on all cylinders and the joyous energy coming from the music and the musicians was simply infectious. The biggest payoff though was I listened to Neon Bible on the drive home and it's as if I now "get it."

I'm really glad I went.

T.B.

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I picked up Neon Bible after seeing them on SNL. I think it's a great record. They are supposed to be awesome live, glad to here it's true.
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Where are they from,never heard of 'em....?

Google's closed for the night.....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I think I've heard of them. Didn't they have a song on the "Six Feet Under" soundtracks?
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.07.09 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post
    Where are they from,never heard of 'em....?

Google's closed for the night.....
    They are from Canada. I think somewhere near Montreal.

Did not yet pick up "Neon Bible", but their 2004 release "Funeral" is a steller effort.
    Sm...

Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some videos others have posted on YouTube from just the show I was at:

Wake Up

Intervention

Keep The Car Running

Neighbourhood #2 Power Out (from Jools Holland show)

T.B.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Official Arcade Fire Thread

I saw a thread about one of these guys' live shows, but I did not see an official thread. I know I'm not the only guy here who thinks these guys are incredible. I just bought their album "Funeral" today and god damn, I don't know how I've missed out on these guys for so long! They are so unique an amazing. The whole album is incredible, most notably the song "Wake Up" in my opinion. Many others are amazing too of course. So what do my fellow linkers think of this up and coming Canadian band?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I love them. In 2007, one of my teachers burned a copy of "Funeral" for me and I think it's great. I prefer "Neon Bible" myself. Their compositions are really intense, I love it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

So I saw Arcade Fire at The Shrine Auditorium Friday night in Los Angeles. It was the 2nd show of a two night stand. This was my second time seeing the band, my first being one of the Hollywood Bowl shows in 2007. Overall, I'd give the '07 show a slight edge only because there was a bit of loss of momentum after the stunning first half of the show leading through "Sprawl II." But frankly, tonight still ranks way high among the shows I've seen in 33 years worth of concerts.

The audience was *really* into the show and gave the band a prolonged ovation after "Keep The Car Running" that clearly impressed Win and the band. The first four songs rank among the greatest live experiences I've ever seen. Depending on the song, various band members swap instruments, sometimes on person is playing bass or drums or guitar. Regine sang lead on about 1/3rd of the songs and played drums on at least two as well as piano.

The only mis-step I think Win made was choosing a rather mellow, intimate song Regine sang to run up to the balcony which seemed very distracting. At the end of the show during "Wake Up," he again came out into the audience traversing through the first 4 rows and the pit which drove the crowd into a frenzy. The one-two punch of Power Out and Tunnels at the end of the main set was simply awe inspiring. The show seemed a bit light on "Neon Bible" songs but the new material came across vastly better than the studio versions on the album. For me, this band has much more of an impact live than on record and is really one of the great live experiences anyone could hope for in a rock n' roll band.

The only downsides I can think of at the moment was the rather cavernous (for a big theater) Shrine is not the best place for clear, well defined sound especially from a band that has such a dense sound as Arcade Fire does. The sound overall was really loud from my 6th row seat. At times, it really came close to white noise at the conclusion of a couple of the harder rocking songs. Also, parking in the structure next to the Shrine was a huge mistake as it took me nearly an hour to get out of there.

The set:

Ready to Start
    Keep the Car Running
    No Cars Go
    Haiti
    Empty Room
    Sprawl 2
    Modern Man
    Rococo
    In the Backseat
    The Suburbs
    Month of May>Rebellion