Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Ramen Noodle Restaurant Opens In NY: $15 (And Up) Per Bowl

Unreal. The economy is in the shitter, yet some people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts for stuff many of us ate in college for like 10 packages for a buck.

Ramen noodles move from college classic to city chic
    From a dorm dining fave to positively chic.

By Adam Goldman

The Associated Press

Nearly four decades after the first instant ramen noodle factory opened in the U.S., Japan's beloved comfort food is finally making inroads — even achieving cult status — in a nation where burgers and pizza still rule.

Once considered just a bargain meal for cash-starved college students, ramen noodles suddenly are commanding as much as $15 or more a bowl in sleek New York noodle shops.

Ippudo NY opened in March and the restaurant became the first branch of a highly regarded noodle shop chain outside Japan. It landed in New York's East Village, where celebrated Korean-American chef David Chang already was drawing hordes of customers to his stylish Momofuku Noodle Bar, which opened in 2004.

Shortly after Chang's debut, Ramen Setagaya, another popular Japanese ramen chain, opened here, winning New York magazine's "best ramen" award this year.

The essence of ramen is a rich broth, often made from pork bones, and thin, slightly chewy noodles, garnished with such toppings as sliced pork, hard-boiled eggs, seaweed, scallions, fish cake, mushrooms and even corn kernels.

The dish originated in China; the very name comes from the Chinese words for hand-pulled wheat flour noodles.

"Like most things, the Japanese imported the idea from another culture and have taken it to the extreme," said Chang, who is known for insisting on only the finest ingredients for his soups, including specially bred Berkshire pork.

But for years, most Americans settled for much less — instant ramen still can be had for as little as six packs for $1.

Last year, 738 million pounds of ramen (or 4 billion individual packets) were devoured in the United States, a 4 percent increase over 2006, according to Nissin Food Products Co. of Japan.

And worldwide, the demand for instant noodles is huge — Nissin sales total more than $3.2 billion annually. China consumes the most, followed by Indonesia and Japan, according to the World Instant Noodles Association.

But it's the ramen restaurants, or ramenya, that are most revered in Japan. It boasts 80,000 of them. There's also a famous ramen museum near Tokyo, as well as a Japanese television program where ramen chefs compete — Ippudo's founder, Shigemi Kawahara, has won it three times.

Americans may have gotten their first inkling of Japan's obsession with ramen in 1987, when the Japanese film Tampopo was released in the U.S. and became a cult hit. The so-called noodle Western tells the story of a truck driver who rides into town and helps a young widowed noodle shop owner perfect the art of making a bowl of ramen.

Ken Sasahara, president of Nissin Foods (USA) Co., which opened its first factory in California in the early 1970s, credits instant noodles with helping spark the wave of ramen bars that have sprung up across the country. The arrival of Ippudo has raised the stakes, he says, and could trigger intense ramen battles similar to ones found in Tokyo.

Rickmond Wong, a Web designer and self-proclaimed ramen expert who writes about his favorite topic at rameniac.com, has closely monitored the gradual emergence of high-quality, authentic ramen shops in the Los Angeles area.

He believes it's tied to the growing economic clout of Asian nations and American enthusiasm for all things Japanese, including animation, video games, cartoons and food.

"These days people are interested [in Japanese pop culture] in a much more sophisticated manner than in the past, when aspects of a foreign culture were typically exoticized and viewed through a post-colonialist lens — 'Oh, look at what strange things these people eat,'" he said. "It's high time for ramen to take its place in the pantheon of a multicultural American diet."

Copyright © 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features...,7112677.story
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

well, i wouldnt pay 15 bucks for it , seeing how ramen costs about 2 bucks a metric fucking ton at costco...but man, i fuckin love me some ramen!! i think ill go have a bowl now!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You have to be shitting me? You can get this stuff for like what, .15 a serving at Sam's Club? Ah, it must be the bowl and the hot water that added to the cost...
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Must be a reflection of the hard times in NYC. In the past, a new restaurant would charge out the azz, but this one's only about 15x the cost of the food...gotta feed those poor starving ex-traders & brokers somehow.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I won't pay more then $0.15, which is the going rate for a package of Ramen noodles these days.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Ramen is great, just had a couple of packages the other night. Problem is, its not very filling. Works great for about an hour in the 'ol stomach, but then.....boom.....hungry again. And the saturated fat content.....ouch!
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Ramen- food for the bad times......go to Walmart for it! ps...put a dash of tabasco in it it really gives it a kick.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Is that across the place from the Hot Pockets Diner or the World Home of Pop-Tarts?

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Wow, sounds like New Yorkers will pay for anything. I used to live on Ramens way back when, now I don't really care for them too much. I think I ate too many back in the day.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Is that across the place from the Hot Pockets Diner or the World Home of Pop-Tarts?
    It's a block away from the restaurant that only serves breakfast cereal. I'm not kidding:
    http://www.cereality.com/main.php
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It's a block away from the restaurant that only serves breakfast cereal. I'm not kidding:
    http://www.cereality.com/main.php

Good Lord, and I thought that the return of the AutoMat was bad. Yes, another NY idea...
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While walking down Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles, I saw two homeless men parking their carts in front of the 99 Cents Only store. One man, very excitedly, said to the other, "You gotta see this. You won't believe it." My interest was piqued, so I followed them as they walked to the very last aisle of the supermarket-sized store. "Look," the man said, "Ten for a dollar. And they've all the flavors." The dollar store had Top Ramen on sale. The men each dug into their pockets and pooled their resources. "We've got enough for 20!," the other man finally exclaimed. Each took his tme collecting the right balance of packages and, arms full, they walked back to the cashiers.

I wondered if one of their carts outside contained a heating element and a bowl or if they prevailed upon local restaurants to provide the cup of boilng water.
    Last edited by Yesterdays; 10.07.08 at 12:11 PM.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Having spent many years in Japan, I can tell you with an honest perspective that this article is very misleading. This is not the kind of Ramen you are used to, that comes in a plastic package for 15 cents. An authentic Japanese Ramen shop, like what this would appear to be, is really a completely diferent thing entirely. Yes, it's still just noodles, and while 15 bucks is a bit high it is NYC. They gotta pay the rent. I'm not a big fan of Japanese Ramen. It's blah for me, but it sure is a big deal over there. It's mixed with a little soy/wasabi and is slurpped heavily. It's akin to our hankering for chicken noodle soup in the winter, and appeals to their taste.

I'm not surprised to see this at all, especially in NYC, and I'm not suprised at the price or the slant that our media takes on it.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Good Lord, and I thought that the return of the AutoMat was bad. Yes, another NY idea...
    Wow, they have an Automat in New York now? Some of my fondest childhood memories are of going to the Automat with my father in New York. The brass lion that dispensed coffee, peeking through the little windows to decide which sandwich to select, the ever-present, multipocketed change giver and, especially, having one of the windows talk to me as the little window popped up. "You wanted blueberry pie? Wait a minute." To my horror, a hand extended from deep inside the recesses of whatever lurked behind the window and handed me the pie. Aaah the innocence of youth...

Edit: The multi-pocketed change giver was at the arcade. At the Automat, there was a brass cage and a surly cashier who gave the coins to insert in the slots next to each window.
    Last edited by Yesterdays; 10.07.08 at 12:22 PM.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

unless you have had real ramen you really are not understanding what this is.

as posted earlier, it definately isn't that 15 cents a metric ton crap you buy at the store and if you get the chance you should at least once try some authentic ramen. i wouldn't say 15$ is worth a bowl but its close to the ballpark for what something of that quality should be priced at.

it really is worth it.