Register
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Default How have You personally been affected by this "credit/crisis/recession"

Maybe since I'm super poor, don't own a house, stocks, or mutual funds, that I'm missing out on this credit crisis thing. I live in an apartment, and barely make enough money to last until my next paycheck. However, the only real thing that I've been affected with is gas prices and food prices.

My question is, how has this thing affected you? Anyone have any horror stories out there they want to share?
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Unfortunately for me, my job depends on the economy. So when the economy sucks, businesses don't advertise...hence hard for me to make money. Basically I have the same bills you do except, I have it for 3 people and I have a mortgage and a car payment (thank god we own my wife's car) to boot. So it sucks. I live the same way you do, check to check now. It's pretty scary.

And I'm not saying you guys don't know of the high cost of living, but you guys know the cost of living in Southern California. It's pretty scary right now like said.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Weird that this should come up, as a friend of mine and I were discussing this very subject just yesterday. A year ago we were doing pretty well, putting a few dollars into savings and were able to afford to do a few things out of on the town.

Fast forward to this year...we have no savings anymore, are living paycheck to paycheck and pray that no unexpected bills come up, to say nothing of trying to keep from using the plastic. Mrs VHR's work has been no help either, they've limited pay increases to an absurdly low percentage, taken away allowances for mandatory uniforms and cut Christmas bonuses in half last year. With the unemployment rate in our County being the highest in the State, it has been impossible for me to find a job. When Super Target opened a few months ago, there were over 3,000 applicants for roughly 300 jobs. Subsequent openings have seen higher ratios of applicant to job ratios.

Even so, I'm not going to complain. We're current on our mortgage, have food in the pantry and Mrs VHR still has a job. I know more than a few folks that are looking down foreclosure, not because of getting in over their heads, but because one of the two of the couple have lost their jobs. Also know a couple who are bascially ignoring their credit card bills, as they can't afford them and their house payment.

Crazy times to be sure.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Iam in the Veterinary field at a huge animal clinic and we are holding our own because we are 24/7 and available whenever folks need us. However my personal investments are down about 30 percent and falling.I was thinking about retirement at 62 but who the hell knows now. Iam sick of these recessions every 7-8 yrs esp when its caused by greed and corruption. This one seems similar to the Savings and Loan fiasco of the late 80s only worse. Didnt anyone learn? Hang in there everyone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

I am a small business owner and I have been affected directly/indirectly by the economic mess

1 I have had to cut my salary to the bone as my tenants have had difficulty paying their rents. I have also cut another employee to part time salary, hired no summer help( I used to hire 3 people), and this fall laid off a maintenance person when we would normally be doing end of the season maintenance...

2 gas prices have kept boaters home so my vacation rentals have suffered

3 campground rentals are down

4 I sell manufactured homes in my rental communities...the manufactured home subprime meltdown started in this industry in 2002 and homes have been repossessed/abandoned (without any sign of slowdown) so my rental income is down and expenses related to dealing with the abandonments are way up... I have just had to institute the largest rent increase I have ever done, this despite the fact that my tenants are already having trouble paying...a tricky situation

5 I am now dealing with people who wanted to buy manufactured homes 5 years ago but took the "first time home buyers" program instead and have now had the houses (that I knew they could not afford) foreclosed upon..they are now coming to me for help and there is nothing I can do for them with their damaged credit...our loans have dried up for GOOD customers

6 it seems a large part of my job in the rental business has become social service as I spend a lot of time filling out paperwork getting my tenants rent assistance, utility assistance and medical/WIC/foodstamp assistance.

7 The limit for my line of credit has been "temporarlily reduced" and a loan which was planned for and pre approved for improvements has also been "temporarily frozen"

8 many small companies with which I do business have been calling me and asking me if they can get paid immediately upon doing business instead of invoicing me because they have no cash reserves...this causes a cash crunch for me, because most small business will tell you that you try to get your receivables quicker and stretch your payables out

9 like most of the businesses in my area, I have unpaid property taxes, which I find not just scary, but humiliating

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

So far for me it hasn't had much effect. We have a small family run manufacturing business and our customers range from Military, Industrial, Automotive to other small mfg. shops. We were much worse off in 2002-2003 than we are now. This has been our best year in about 10 years. That's not to say that the credit crisis won't eventually catch up to us, but for now we are doing well. My wife works in retail which has seen a drop in revenue, but there is still no threat of her having to cut back on hours or even the store closing.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some affects have been precautionary such as holding off on buying a new car to pay down my credit card.

One un-nerving bit of news I was informed of this morning is a company "reorganization" which is never good news when economics are bad. I have a meeting today at 2:00 to discuss this with my boss. Hopefully by 2:15, I'll still have a job.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

I mean as long as I pay the mortgage and my car payment every month, I'm happy. We don't have credit card debt, we just don't use the plastic unless the world is ending. I've paid those fucking things off twice in my lifetime and I never will do that again. We just don't use them anymore. If we can't pay cash, we don't buy it.

My job is pretty safe since I'm in the part of the company that brings in the money for everyone's salary.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I teach English as a foreign language, mainly to business clients, and fear of depression actually makes my business go up. People worry about having their jobs next year so this year they try to improve their CVs in any way they can. Those that have just been laid off often have a little extra cash and often enrol in English courses while they look for new work. Germany is starting to enter a tough period now and I'm actually turning down work because I simply do not have enough time.

The other half of my work is directing a school in the UK. Bookings are up more than double as worried parents want their kids to come to England to get extra tuition - again, fear for the future.

I will say though, that when I am in England, like right now, I can't believe how much prices have risen - truly staggering. Glad I left the country. Brits are struggling at the moment. .

I'm obviously one of the lucky ones. I see my father and step-mother, both retired California residents, and they have simply moved to Europe for a few months. My father said the cost of running the AC alone would make it worth it (only half a joke I gather) so they have an empty house in the US doing nothing and yet it still makes sense for them to stay here.

Crazy times.

ps. I agree on the credit cards. Evil in a wallet, those things.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

im working with friends who have a repo business and business is booming
    they hate if your the same , and they hate you if your different- evh

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I have noticed a small dent, but not much. I've had to tighten my belt a little bit on expenditures that aren't necessary. The worst one for me during the summer has been electricity. My electric bills were ridiculous, and I kept my thermostat set at 84 during the day while I was gone.

It seems to have affected business for Amazon to as they are allowing people to take one week blocks of time (VTO, or voluntary time off) if they want to. I haven't done that but I have taken off two Wednesdays that have been offered to me. Much of the time off is due to the influx of new people for the Christmas season though as the backlog of orders is still pretty high.

Some of the smaller companies around here are having some layoffs as well.

As far as my job, I'm not concerned. People still seem to have enough money to buy what Amazon has to offer. I think companies that have higher end merchandise only are going to suffer more for the time being.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

We're having kind of a micro crisis at work because lots of people bought Pellet Stoves from us in the last 3 years but the price of pellets keeps going up every couple of weeks. People can't afford them, and they're completely unavailable right now anyways. So we've got all kinds of residents who could face a heating crisis over the winter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let me just say it seems like a good time not to return to the States.
    And the slide of the dollar is actually good for me in terms of paying my
    US debts with foreign currency. But as you know, the US' economic sneeze
    is the world's flu, and the work I'm currently in depends on tourism - ie.
    people's disposable income and credit availability. This low season has
    been so low that management is making new cuts here and there every
    day and I've learned to live beyond old, comfy ideas like job security,
    health insurance, 401ks and paid vacations. All I can do is to try to
    make myself as valuable as I can in every way possible, plan for
    the future and hang on like everyone else.
    Last edited by mistere; 10.06.08 at 09:04 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.28.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I work in the airline industry and, as you probably know, when the economy starts to slump, so do vacation bookings. I'm lucky that my employer has deep pockets and, thus far, no radical measures are planned on the work front. My wife and I also just sold our house for 100 000$ less than what I would have gotten for my place last year(still made a good chunk of profit, but it hurts to know that I missed out on more).

As someone mentioned before, if you can pay your mortgage and put food on the table for the family, then everything is still good. My wife and I have been pretty good with our money and we don't have any credit card debt, so we're still pretty well off considering the situation.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not much has changed for me. i did buy a second gas hog, okay it was a 25 year old rig and it was $600 but still...

i don't have kids or child support to pay, where a lot of guys i work with are stifled by their support payments. i only have one credit card that i barely use. really the only thing i have is my car payment, and rent is halfway cheap.

i was thinking of buying a house and that may change due to my past credit history, it may be harder for me to get a loan but right now day to day is business as usual.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10