Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Epiphone Valve Junior

Heard some good thing about this amp, and ive been looking at the half stack they have available. I have a few questions.

-How loud would it be compared to a 30 watt SS combo?

-I've read about some mods you can do to get a Fender-ish, or Marshall-ish tone. are these any good?

-Would it be loud enough to gig with?
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I dont know much about the amp, but Im guessing you would have to crank the volume to get any gain out of it. Five watt tube amp would probably be louder then the 30 watt ss. Check these out too. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=483078

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess i should have specified im looking for a low wattage plexi-type tone. i'd probably end up going with one of those mods...
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 5 Watt Valve junior is LOUD. I modified mine using a Watts turret board. I used the Marshallised mod. I also used a new Heyboer transformer. Using nice, vintage Jan tubes made it smoother. the Chinese tubes are waaaaaaay to buzzy.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Its definitely louder than any 15w SS combo, but its not loud enough to gig with. BARELY loud enough to jam with, if you have a heavy-handed drummer.
    Of course, if you mic it through the PA, then no problem.
    I have the VJ combo and it barely cuts through enough to be heard over the drums.
    As for the mods, I havent done any of them myself, but Ive heard sound clips and they do sound damn close to a plexi or tweed, depending on the mod. If I had a little more confidence in my soldering iron skills, Id try em though...looks easy enough to do.
    Besides for around $100, how wrong can you go?
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That thing is super loud for bedroom playing, and you have to crank it to get anything approaching VH tone. The power tube that it comes with is absolute crap as well (sounds like farting out of a carboard box)... so you have to replace it immediately with a JJ EL84. My friend has a Valve Junior to try to get VH tone, like you are looking for, and he couldn't get anywhere close with the amp stock. It just does not have enough gain. Running a good overdrive or distortion pedal into it could probably fix that though... but who knows how it will sound with any given pedal.

We actually modded the input stage of my friends Valve Junior to be like a Marshall input stage, and opened it up a lot to higher gain -- but still not quite VH gain yet....

If you are looking for a small amp that will get you Cranked Marshall / VH tone right out of the box, this is NOT IT. However, the Valve junior is highly modifiable, very cheap, and has authentic tube tone, so it is a great amp to use as your base tone. Just know that you will have to have a bit of a 'rig' with it to get VH tones.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    That thing is super loud for bedroom playing, and you have to crank it to get anything approaching VH tone. The power tube that it comes with is absolute crap as well (sounds like farting out of a carboard box)... so you have to replace it immediately with a JJ EL84. My friend has a Valve Junior to try to get VH tone, like you are looking for, and he couldn't get anywhere close with the amp stock. It just does not have enough gain. Running a good overdrive or distortion pedal into it could probably fix that though... but who knows how it will sound with any given pedal.

We actually modded the input stage of my friends Valve Junior to be like a Marshall input stage, and opened it up a lot to higher gain -- but still not quite VH gain yet....

If you are looking for a small amp that will get you Cranked Marshall / VH tone right out of the box, this is NOT IT. However, the Valve junior is highly modifiable, very cheap, and has authentic tube tone, so it is a great amp to use as your base tone. Just know that you will have to have a bit of a 'rig' with it to get VH tones.
    i dont want full on VH tone, just a stock plexi tone.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotforteacher921 View Post
    i dont want full on VH tone, just a stock plexi tone.
    Just so you know, the tone on all of the VH albums with Dave was basically stock plexi tone. Sure, he ran it to the point of explosion, then dialed it down with a variac, and even added some detuning/harmonizing to it, but the basis was stock plexi tone. I guess if you mean 'low volume stock plexi tone', then the Valve Junior is not a bad alternative. But if you mean 'stock plexi on 10 tone', then that is a whole different animal.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

There's guys getting Vhish tones with them un-modded (except tube change)...

https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    There's guys getting Vhish tones with them un-modded (except tube change)...

Note the multiple pedals helping it out. It WILL NOT DO THAT by itself.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Birthdays are amazing. I just got one of these and love it. I can get great early-Scorpions tones with a Strat and a DOD 250 preamp. I may or may not mod it in the future to sound a little more Marshall-y (don't need to fool anyone, just get in the ballpark.) What parts of the amp would be wise to modify to get a similar Superlead-ish voice? (Filtering, input, tone caps, etc.)

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Note the multiple pedals helping it out. It WILL NOT DO THAT by itself.
    Agreed and the sustain is still not there. big difference between sustain and gain and i just dont hear the sustain right off the bat with little dreamer.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know if I could add a second 12AX7 to the circuit of the amp on the stock power supply?

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

Check out this site:

http://www.turretboards.com/
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.