Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Musicians Use Both Sides Of Their Brains More Frequently Than Normal People.

I wonder which side of the brain tells you to fire your long time bass player and replace him with your son? Hell yeah I went there:

http://www.physorg.com/news142185056.html

"We were interested in how individuals who are naturally creative look at problems that are best solved by thinking 'out of the box'," Folley said. "We studied musicians because creative thinking is part of their daily experience, and we found that there were qualitative differences in the types of answers they gave to problems and in their associated brain activity."

One possible explanation the researchers offer for the musicians' elevated use of both brain hemispheres is that many musicians must be able to use both hands independently to play their instruments.

"Musicians may be particularly good at efficiently accessing and integrating competing information from both hemispheres," Folley said. "Instrumental musicians often integrate different melodic lines with both hands into a single musical piece, and they have to be very good at simultaneously reading the musical symbols, which are like left-hemisphere-based language, and integrating the written music with their own interpretation, which has been linked to the right hemisphere."
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    I wonder which side of the brain tells you to fire your long time bass player and replace him with your son? Hell yeah I went there
    I thought something alone those lines straight after I've read the headline.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I teach guitar lessons at a music store several days a week. As I was leaving the store last night I got into a conversation with the owner about a music and arts education funding referendum that is being put to voters on the November ballot. He was interviewed by a radio station for it just that day and had presented this kind of research as evidence for why people should be advocating music and arts funding in public schools--basically that it makes smarter, more educated citizens. (There is an out-of-state group that has launched a counter-campaign against the referendum, calling mostly the elderly and framing it as a question: "Why should you, those who no longer have children in school, be paying for the education of other people's kids?") Still, with all the evidence and research that has continually been presented, in even just the time since I graduated high school (15 years ago) I've seen music and arts funding drop significantly.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Only thing I worry about is, if it hasn't happened already, "music" class will become about playing the latest rap crap for the kids.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Be honest with yourself here. If you are appearing on Password, do you really want to be partnered with this nitwit, regardless how much of his brain he uses?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Be honest with yourself here. If you are appearing on Password, do you really want to be partnered with this nitwit, regardless how much of his brain he uses?

Sigh...that's embarrassing.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thing is though, guys, them using "both sides of the brain" more frequently than normal people, is the reason why they don't appear normal to those normal people. Just like Florida-esque residents don't appear normal either. They're not using any sides of their brain.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Hey now!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Lmao, you know what I meant

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I teach guitar lessons at a music store several days a week. As I was leaving the store last night I got into a conversation with the owner about a music and arts education funding referendum that is being put to voters on the November ballot. He was interviewed by a radio station for it just that day and had presented this kind of research as evidence for why people should be advocating music and arts funding in public schools--basically that it makes smarter, more educated citizens. (There is an out-of-state group that has launched a counter-campaign against the referendum, calling mostly the elderly and framing it as a question: "Why should you, those who no longer have children in school, be paying for the education of other people's kids?") Still, with all the evidence and research that has continually been presented, in even just the time since I graduated high school (15 years ago) I've seen music and arts funding drop significantly.
    When mankind was at it's zenith education was all about the Arts & Sciences. Music instills discipline in children that cannot otherwise be disciplined. Music provides instant gratification that almost nothing else can and can inspire young people in productive ways.

Think about men like Thomas Jefferson, who were musicians on top of all the other inovations they gave the world. Musicians understand harmony and that multiple instruments can work together to make fantastic music scapes. Think about your favorite piece of classical music, think about all the stuff that's going on under the melody: the harmonies and the bass cleph. Remove one of them and the piece loses a lot of power.

I believe that the primary rise of Rap music can be directly linked to the cutting of musoc programs in public school. The kids don't know that rap sucks because they've never been exposed or challenged with real music.

It's one of the reasons that Eurpean Scientists do better than American scientists, their educational backround included a lot of music. Americans get less exposure to music with each passing year . Also, if you go up to sillicon valley and walk into the cubicles of the brightest programmers and more often than not you'll find a guitar (electric or otherwise) or a nice electronic keyboard set up.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Oh Christ. I guess the television network NBC is to blame for some of this altruistic, touchy-feely belief that music unites children into a belief of an understanding, less chaotic and ultimately ore harmonious world. I'm referring of course to the eighties show "Fame", itself a watered-down spin-off of the relatively popular film of the same name. Apparently repeated viewings of this episodic train-wreck have brain-washed folks into the belief that a little bit of music education will right the wrongs of our troubled youth.

Allow me to say horse-shit to that.

The cutting of music programs in school sucks, yet for the schools to remain open budget-wise by losing them, you can not complain. Seriously, who wishes for the classes to remain available? People that tend to look at history with rose-colored glasses, that's who.

Think for a minute. Remember back to the days of dragging an instrument (that you were not all that enthralled with to begin with) to school each day practice was scheduled, only to be ostracized or bullied by the "other" kids outside of your limited social strata. Think of the unrelenting peer pressure involved in not knowing your part, or the sadistic glee of the "teacher" in charge of things when you failed. Think of the hours of practice you spent, while your friends were discovering...other things, that apparently brought them far more joy than what you felt.

Spare me this Utopian belief that the planet will be a far more harmonious place because a bunch of kids can play a few Stevie Wonder horn charts during halftime at football game. Because that is all it is: there is no musical appreciation taught. It's all about playing the riffs, and drowning out the boos.

Look, it's public schooling. There are a handful of things that need to be taught at home. You know, the basics: grooming, hygiene, manners, acceptance of others (or more often than not, bigotry) and most of all an applied appreciation of music. If you are not involved with your child's schooling, then shut the fuck up about it. Otherwise, dive in at your first opportunity, and remain there.

As for rap, remind yourself that it is merely a distillation of a far more sublime art form. By the same notion, neither Led Zeppelin (nor Van Halen) were what you could call "virgin births" upon the music scene. Shit, even the almighty Beatles played cover tunes, ya know?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I point to my generation and then I point to the kids graduating college in 2009.

I win.

Hell, the generation before mine put 12 men on the moon and split the atom. All those guys on the Manhattan Project could at least play the piano. When Grundge killed Metal in the early 1990s many of those guitarists went to work in the high tech industry.

It's not just music, art is equally as important.

All the great scientists could draw. Darwin didn't take a camera with him on the Beagle. In both Marine Science and Marine Biology our lab assigments involve the ability to sketch what we see in the microscope. My ability to draw is keeping me in the top of the class.

My Blog:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

most of them
    Favorite VH Song

ditto
    Last Online

04.14.10 @ 11:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Spare me this Utopian belief that the planet will be a far more harmonious place because a bunch of kids can play a few Stevie Wonder horn charts during halftime at football game.
    yeah but on that thread of interpretation - of what benefits involvement in music can achieve - I have seen/read numerous examples of a musician/rapper/etc. admitting they would be "in jail" if it wasn't for music; does that not count for something?

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DBC View Post
    yeah but on that thread of interpretation - of what benefits involvement in music can achieve - I have seen/read numerous examples of a musician/rapper/etc. admitting they would be "in jail" if it wasn't for music; does that not count for something?
    Rappers/musicians staying out of jail is mostly attributed to the fact that it gives them a legitimate source of massive income rather than the positive effects that music is having on them.
    Last edited by Wray; 10.04.08 at 03:55 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

most of them
    Favorite VH Song

ditto
    Last Online

04.14.10 @ 11:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    Rappers/musicians staying out of jail is mostly attributed to the fact that it gives them a legitimate source of massive income rather than the positive effects that music is having on them.
    that's a bit skeptical ,but I see your point...however if it's "legitimate", as opposed to say robbery or drug dealing, then surely that in itself is a positive effect? not saying anyone's right or wrong here just throwing some ideas around...