Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Musicians Use Both Sides Of Their Brains More Frequently Than Normal People.

    I wonder which side of the brain tells you to fire your long time bass player and replace him with your son? Hell yeah I went there:

    http://www.physorg.com/news142185056.html

    "We were interested in how individuals who are naturally creative look at problems that are best solved by thinking 'out of the box'," Folley said. "We studied musicians because creative thinking is part of their daily experience, and we found that there were qualitative differences in the types of answers they gave to problems and in their associated brain activity."

    One possible explanation the researchers offer for the musicians' elevated use of both brain hemispheres is that many musicians must be able to use both hands independently to play their instruments.

    "Musicians may be particularly good at efficiently accessing and integrating competing information from both hemispheres," Folley said. "Instrumental musicians often integrate different melodic lines with both hands into a single musical piece, and they have to be very good at simultaneously reading the musical symbols, which are like left-hemisphere-based language, and integrating the written music with their own interpretation, which has been linked to the right hemisphere."
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    I wonder which side of the brain tells you to fire your long time bass player and replace him with your son? Hell yeah I went there
    I thought something alone those lines straight after I've read the headline.

  3. #3
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I teach guitar lessons at a music store several days a week. As I was leaving the store last night I got into a conversation with the owner about a music and arts education funding referendum that is being put to voters on the November ballot. He was interviewed by a radio station for it just that day and had presented this kind of research as evidence for why people should be advocating music and arts funding in public schools--basically that it makes smarter, more educated citizens. (There is an out-of-state group that has launched a counter-campaign against the referendum, calling mostly the elderly and framing it as a question: "Why should you, those who no longer have children in school, be paying for the education of other people's kids?") Still, with all the evidence and research that has continually been presented, in even just the time since I graduated high school (15 years ago) I've seen music and arts funding drop significantly.

  4. #4
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,684
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

    Default

    Only thing I worry about is, if it hasn't happened already, "music" class will become about playing the latest rap crap for the kids.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Be honest with yourself here. If you are appearing on Password, do you really want to be partnered with this nitwit, regardless how much of his brain he uses?

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  6. #6
    Good Enough The J Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Age
    28
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,559
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Be honest with yourself here. If you are appearing on Password, do you really want to be partnered with this nitwit, regardless how much of his brain he uses?

    Sigh...that's embarrassing.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Thing is though, guys, them using "both sides of the brain" more frequently than normal people, is the reason why they don't appear normal to those normal people. Just like Florida-esque residents don't appear normal either. They're not using any sides of their brain.

  8. #8
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,684
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

    Default

    Hey now!

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Lmao, you know what I meant

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I teach guitar lessons at a music store several days a week. As I was leaving the store last night I got into a conversation with the owner about a music and arts education funding referendum that is being put to voters on the November ballot. He was interviewed by a radio station for it just that day and had presented this kind of research as evidence for why people should be advocating music and arts funding in public schools--basically that it makes smarter, more educated citizens. (There is an out-of-state group that has launched a counter-campaign against the referendum, calling mostly the elderly and framing it as a question: "Why should you, those who no longer have children in school, be paying for the education of other people's kids?") Still, with all the evidence and research that has continually been presented, in even just the time since I graduated high school (15 years ago) I've seen music and arts funding drop significantly.
    When mankind was at it's zenith education was all about the Arts & Sciences. Music instills discipline in children that cannot otherwise be disciplined. Music provides instant gratification that almost nothing else can and can inspire young people in productive ways.

    Think about men like Thomas Jefferson, who were musicians on top of all the other inovations they gave the world. Musicians understand harmony and that multiple instruments can work together to make fantastic music scapes. Think about your favorite piece of classical music, think about all the stuff that's going on under the melody: the harmonies and the bass cleph. Remove one of them and the piece loses a lot of power.

    I believe that the primary rise of Rap music can be directly linked to the cutting of musoc programs in public school. The kids don't know that rap sucks because they've never been exposed or challenged with real music.

    It's one of the reasons that Eurpean Scientists do better than American scientists, their educational backround included a lot of music. Americans get less exposure to music with each passing year . Also, if you go up to sillicon valley and walk into the cubicles of the brightest programmers and more often than not you'll find a guitar (electric or otherwise) or a nice electronic keyboard set up.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Oh Christ. I guess the television network NBC is to blame for some of this altruistic, touchy-feely belief that music unites children into a belief of an understanding, less chaotic and ultimately ore harmonious world. I'm referring of course to the eighties show "Fame", itself a watered-down spin-off of the relatively popular film of the same name. Apparently repeated viewings of this episodic train-wreck have brain-washed folks into the belief that a little bit of music education will right the wrongs of our troubled youth.

    Allow me to say horse-shit to that.

    The cutting of music programs in school sucks, yet for the schools to remain open budget-wise by losing them, you can not complain. Seriously, who wishes for the classes to remain available? People that tend to look at history with rose-colored glasses, that's who.

    Think for a minute. Remember back to the days of dragging an instrument (that you were not all that enthralled with to begin with) to school each day practice was scheduled, only to be ostracized or bullied by the "other" kids outside of your limited social strata. Think of the unrelenting peer pressure involved in not knowing your part, or the sadistic glee of the "teacher" in charge of things when you failed. Think of the hours of practice you spent, while your friends were discovering...other things, that apparently brought them far more joy than what you felt.

    Spare me this Utopian belief that the planet will be a far more harmonious place because a bunch of kids can play a few Stevie Wonder horn charts during halftime at football game. Because that is all it is: there is no musical appreciation taught. It's all about playing the riffs, and drowning out the boos.

    Look, it's public schooling. There are a handful of things that need to be taught at home. You know, the basics: grooming, hygiene, manners, acceptance of others (or more often than not, bigotry) and most of all an applied appreciation of music. If you are not involved with your child's schooling, then shut the fuck up about it. Otherwise, dive in at your first opportunity, and remain there.

    As for rap, remind yourself that it is merely a distillation of a far more sublime art form. By the same notion, neither Led Zeppelin (nor Van Halen) were what you could call "virgin births" upon the music scene. Shit, even the almighty Beatles played cover tunes, ya know?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I point to my generation and then I point to the kids graduating college in 2009.

    I win.

    Hell, the generation before mine put 12 men on the moon and split the atom. All those guys on the Manhattan Project could at least play the piano. When Grundge killed Metal in the early 1990s many of those guitarists went to work in the high tech industry.

    It's not just music, art is equally as important.

    All the great scientists could draw. Darwin didn't take a camera with him on the Beagle. In both Marine Science and Marine Biology our lab assigments involve the ability to sketch what we see in the microscope. My ability to draw is keeping me in the top of the class.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  13. #13
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    05.16.07
    Posts
    110
    Favorite VH Album

    most of them
    Favorite VH Song

    ditto
    Last Online

    04.14.10 @ 11:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

    Spare me this Utopian belief that the planet will be a far more harmonious place because a bunch of kids can play a few Stevie Wonder horn charts during halftime at football game.
    yeah but on that thread of interpretation - of what benefits involvement in music can achieve - I have seen/read numerous examples of a musician/rapper/etc. admitting they would be "in jail" if it wasn't for music; does that not count for something?

  14. #14
    Hang 'Em High Wray's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.17.03
    Posts
    6,596
    Last Online

    08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBC View Post
    yeah but on that thread of interpretation - of what benefits involvement in music can achieve - I have seen/read numerous examples of a musician/rapper/etc. admitting they would be "in jail" if it wasn't for music; does that not count for something?
    Rappers/musicians staying out of jail is mostly attributed to the fact that it gives them a legitimate source of massive income rather than the positive effects that music is having on them.
    Last edited by Wray; 10.04.08 at 03:55 PM.

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    05.16.07
    Posts
    110
    Favorite VH Album

    most of them
    Favorite VH Song

    ditto
    Last Online

    04.14.10 @ 11:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    Rappers/musicians staying out of jail is mostly attributed to the fact that it gives them a legitimate source of massive income rather than the positive effects that music is having on them.
    that's a bit skeptical ,but I see your point...however if it's "legitimate", as opposed to say robbery or drug dealing, then surely that in itself is a positive effect? not saying anyone's right or wrong here just throwing some ideas around...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Chuck Norris frequently donates blood to the Red Cross. Just not his own.
    By Dance The Night Away in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 11.26.17, 03:35 AM
  2. Well, The party's Over: Inhaling Pig Brains Causes Nerve Damage
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04.17.08, 04:22 PM
  3. Is it normal to not worry yet?
    By HuBBs5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06.22.07, 08:47 PM
  4. Is This Normal?
    By Railrunner130 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.09.06, 11:00 AM
  5. Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains Show
    By man of the people in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12.16.02, 08:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •