Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Cincinnati Birthplace Of Superman To Be Restored

We don't have what you would call a "Super Heroes" thread, so feel free to place this wherever. I recently read Brad Meltzer's "Book OF Lies", in which the house in question plays a key part.

Fans unite in auction to save Superman's house

CINCINNATI (Reuters) -Superman's home planet Krypton was destroyed, but his house on Earth will live on thanks to loyal fans and an online auction that raised $100,000 to restore the rotting home where the Man of Steel was created.

In this Sept. 2, 2008 file photo, the boyhood home of Superman creator Jerry Siegel is shown in Cleveland's Collinwood neighborhood.
    (AP Photo/Mark Duncan)

Everything from original artwork to a role on the hit television show "Heroes" was sold in the month-long auction, which ended on Tuesday, to save the dilapidated Cleveland, Ohio, house where Superman was dreamed up by writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster more than 70 years ago.

"This was easily the most humbling spectacular project I've ever been part of, and showed just how much people care about this character and why today Superman still matters," said novelist Brad Meltzer, who organized the auction.

Meltzer said $101,744 was raised in the month-long sale of art, memorabilia and other donated goods, more than double the $50,000 goal. The extra money will allow organizers to fix up not just the outside but also the inside of the Cleveland house where an elderly couple now live.

Meltzer, who discovered the deteriorating house while researching a novel, said at first he wasn't sure people would care about restoring the red-and-blue house where the superhero who wears the red-and-blue suit was dreamed up in 1932.

But the response has been overwhelming.

"The house where Google was created is saved. The farm where Hewlett-Packard was founded is preserved. We protected the house where Dr. Seuss lived, where Elvis lived," noted Meltzer. "So the idea that Superman's house was just rotting away struck everyone as inherently wrong."

Meltzer, who offered the naming rights to a character in his next novel as part of the auction, takes no credit for saving the home, saying loyal fans of the comic book hero came to Superman's rescue.

"We're all Clark Kent. We all know what it is like to be boring and ordinary and we all want to be able to rip open our shirt and do something beyond ourselves. That's what happened here. Ordinary people made a difference."

(Reporting by Andrea Hopkins; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_media_superman
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Am I wrong in my belief that the guy who invented Superman was Canadian?

The above news story makes it seem I may be wrong. But I seem to recall something about a young man in Ontario.

I need to go look this up.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

The above news story makes it seem I may be wrong. But I seem to recall something about a young man in Ontario.

No you are right. Superman was co-created by a Canadian artist. I never knew about Cincinnati.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Shuster

Never knew that the newspaper, The Daily Star (Planet) was named after the Toronto Daily Star. And Metropolis was based on Toronto.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Jerry Siegel (who invented the concept) was born in Lithuania. The fellow doing the original drawings (Joe Shuster) was from Canada.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10.01.08 at 08:11 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Jerry Siegel (who invented the concept) was born in Lithuania. The fellow doing the original drawings (Joe Shuster) was from Canada.
    Yeah, i just found that Shuster moved to the States when he was 10.

Frickin' Hosers, always movin down south, stealin' jobs, bastards.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    No you are right. Superman was co-created by a Canadian artist. I never knew about Cincinnati.
    From what I read, the story's out of Cincinnati, but the house is in Cleveland!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    From what I read, the story's out of Cincinnati, but the house is in Cleveland!

What's the difference, they both stink.

Yet in the spirit of quality journalism (Hah!), perhaps you could change the thread title to Cleveland. My apologies for the mistake.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10.01.08 at 08:49 PM.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

And Metropolis, Illinois; (waaaaaay southern Illinois) lays claim to being the hometown of Superman. It was even given that distrinction in a contest that Seigel and Schuster were in on.

There's a huge Superman statue in the town square.

http://www.cityofmetropolis.com/
    Last edited by RRMB; 10.01.08 at 08:52 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

I don't pay that much attention to this stuff.
    Where is Smallville supposed to be?
    -H.S.T

Last Online

I don't pay that much attention to this stuff.
    Where is Smallville supposed to be?
    Judging from the comics, I always thought it was someplace in Kansas (hence the farmland).
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Yes. Smallville is in Kansas.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's something I never knew.

In 1932, Mitchell Siegel was killed by three gunshots to his chest in a robbery. While in mouring, his son Joel dreamed of a bullet-proof man.

So Superman was born out of real life tragedy. I didn't know this until last week. It's something that Siegel never talked about.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Here's something I never knew.

In 1932, Mitchell Siegel was killed by three gunshots to his chest in a robbery. While in mouring, his son Joel dreamed of a bullet-proof man.

So Superman was born out of real life tragedy. I didn't know this until last week. It's something that Siegel never talked about.
    This event is a key element of Brad Meltzer's "Book OF Lies".

In Chapter Four of the Bible, Cain kills Abel. It is the world's most famous murder. But the Bible is silent about one key detail: the weapon Cain used to kill his brother. That weapon is still lost to history.

In 1932, Mitchell Siegel was killed by three gunshots to his chest. While mourning, his son dreamed of a bulletproof man and created the world's greatest hero: Superman. And like Cain's murder weapon, the gun used in this unsolved murder has never been found.

Until now.

Today in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Cal Harper comes face-to-face with his family's greatest secret: his long-lost father, who's been shot with a gun that traces back to Mitchell Siegel's 1932 murder. But before Cal can ask a single question, he and his father are attacked by a ruthless killer tattooed with the anicent markings of Cain. And so begins the chase for the world's first murder weapon.

What does Cain, history's greatest villain, have to do with Superman, the world's greatest hero? And what do two murders, committed thousands of years apart, have in common? This is the mystery at the heart of Brad Meltzer's riveting and utterly intriguing new thriller.

http://www.bradmeltzer.com/novels/bo...ok-of-lies.php

George Bernard Shaw