Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Default Upcoming Canadian Elections

It's sometimes hard for foreigners to understand the political scene in Canada, so I was thinking it would be a good idea if our Canadian linkers would explain Canadian politics for the rest of us, since elections are scheduled on Oct 14.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    It's sometimes hard for foreigners to understand the political scene in Canada, so I was thinking it would be a good idea if our Canadian linkers would explain Canadian politics for the rest of us, since elections are scheduled on Oct 14.
    Our political system is based on the British system, we don't vote directly for our leader but for an area representative who represents one of the major parties. Is is assumed that Prime Minister Harper is likely to be relected. The english language debate is actually the same time as the VP debate in the States so some of us will be flipping between channels a little bit.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well, it's slim pickings in this election, so I doubt that I will be voting this time around. There is simply no candidate I can see myself supporting.

For those non-Canadians, our government is based upon the British system. We elect members of parliament who represent their home riding (a specific geographical area). The parties themselves elect their leader and if that party wins a majority government, then the party leader becomes our Prime Minister. Except for the people voting in the party leader's riding, we don't get to vote for our leader. We vote for our local member of parliament, but in reality what ends up happening is people look to the party leader and then vote for that party, regardless of who the local candidate is in their riding. I tend to do that too, and this time around I find each of the party leaders to be sorely lacking in anything substantial. There really is little to choose from and I don't see a single party that is offering anything of substance. I just can't bring myself to vote for any of them.

Having said that, my current member of parliament is smoking hot, and I don't mean in a Sarah Palin sort of way. She's way hotter than that, so maybe I'll vote for her. Sorry but it's true, I have quite a crush on her so I may be moved to go and vote for her.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Well, it's slim pickings in this election, so I doubt that I will be voting this time around. There is simply no candidate I can see myself supporting.

For those non-Canadians, our government is based upon the British system. We elect members of parliament who represent their home riding (a specific geographical area). The parties themselves elect their leader and if that party wins a majority government, then the party leader becomes our Prime Minister. Except for the people voting in the party leader's riding, we don't get to vote for our leader. We vote for our local member of parliament, but in reality what ends up happening is people look to the party leader and then vote for that party, regardless of who the local candidate is in their riding. I tend to do that too, and this time around I find each of the party leaders to be sorely lacking in anything substantial. There really is little to choose from and I don't see a single party that is offering anything of substance. I just can't bring myself to vote for any of them.

Having said that, my current member of parliament is smoking hot, and I don't mean in a Sarah Palin sort of way. She's way hotter than that, so maybe I'll vote for her. Sorry but it's true, I have quite a crush on her so I may be moved to go and vote for her.

who's your mp?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

So what do u guys think of the current government?

To me the situation in Canada seems quite simple to solve: just elect Neil Peart as leader, he'll definitely take care of everything. A guy who can master really complicated odd time signatures can certainly fix anything that comes his way!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

To me the situation in Canada seems quite simple to solve: just elect Neil Peart as leader, he'll definitely take care of everything. A guy who can master really complicated odd time signatures can certainly fix anything that comes his way!
    Rona? Is your MP Rona Ambrose?
    She's the only hot one i know of.

In truth, watching politics in the States is far more interesting than politics in Canada.
    Politics in Canada is about as exciting as knitting, maybe worse.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

i don't think they've done a lousy job. I think the tax cuts have been too aggressive (doing the second GST cut so quickly was purely for political reasons) and I think that threatens our chances of not running a deficit. But I think he deserves to be re-elected. I have no problems with the program cuts he's made, I would just prefer our leaders to have the balls to the unpopular and sink those savings into paying off the debt. Our governments act like too many of us, we have a $500,000 mortgage but when we come into extra money we feel the need to reward ourselves. It's not a good financial move for either of government or us.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Rona? Is your MP Rona Ambrose?
    She's the only hot one i know of.

In truth, watching politics in the States is far more interesting than politics in Canada.
    Politics in Canada is about as exciting as knitting, maybe worse.

Rhuby Dhalla, MP for Brampton, Ontario. Quite young, at least for a politician, somewhere in her early 30s I would guess, and just delicious to look at. Looks much better in person but looks terrific on tv too.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    i don't think they've done a lousy job. I think the tax cuts have been too aggressive (doing the second GST cut so quickly was purely for political reasons) and I think that threatens our chances of not running a deficit. But I think he deserves to be re-elected. I have no problems with the program cuts he's made, I would just prefer our leaders to have the balls to the unpopular and sink those savings into paying off the debt. Our governments act like too many of us, we have a $500,000 mortgage but when we come into extra money we feel the need to reward ourselves. It's not a good financial move for either of government or us.
    I have to agree with you. Harper certainly hasn't done anything to suggest that he shouldn't be given another term. The 2nd GST cut was definitely a mistake. What would have been more popular with me is if they continued to collect that 1% but announce that it would be used 100% for debt repayment.

Not sure if you watched the Rick Mercer Report last night but it was hilarious. He was in Beijing for the Paralympics and he opened by stating while he was in China he was going to visit the Ontario manufacturing jobs.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I'm fine with Harper being reelected as long as it remains a minority government. I don't agree with certain things like his position on Insite in Vancouver, but he has done well enough to be reelected. When this election is over, it will be the same as it was with marginal gains once again by the NDP.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Bret Hart for Prime Minister!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Being completely honest I would prefer seeing Harper re-elected. The options on the other side with Dionne and Layton aren't very enticing. He's done a reasonable job with his first mandate and the question right now appears whether he can muster enough votes for a small majority win. A good showing at the debates might put him over the top.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

What did u guys think of the previous guys before Harper, Martin (?) and Jean Chretien?
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 10.01.08 at 02:57 PM.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    I'm fine with Harper being reelected as long as it remains a minority government. I don't agree with certain things like his position on Insite in Vancouver, but he has done well enough to be reelected. When this election is over, it will be the same as it was with marginal gains once again by the NDP.
    I can't imagine how anybody could support the NDP with Jack Layton at the helm.
    He's a complete quack.

That's the thing with the NDP, there is change in the air, and they are perhaps the party that could most quickly grab onto some of the new ideas and thoughts and get the attention of the next generation voter, but they can't because the leader is what i would describe as "feminine insane".
    I'm not sure what that means, but i'm sure it describes Jack Layton.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Bret Hart for Prime Minister!
    since he's a dual citizen maybe he can lead both of our countries.