Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Axis Bridge PU vs. Tone Zone PU?

I know there are supposed to be about the same, but.... really? The reason I ask is I don't think my Axis bridge pickup sounds very full. Almost too bright/trebly/thin, bordering on shrill. I know part of this is the nature of a maple cap as well as all the steel in a Floyd Rose. Anyone swapped them and can say the Tone Zone sounds fuller with more bottom end? This is the description of the Tone Zone from Dimarzio:

"It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger."

I cannot say my Axis bridge pickup fits this description.

Thanks
    Chris

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the tone zone is fuller then the axis. the axis is desigend of the tone zone. i have one in a kramer and its not as crisp as the axis. i prefer teh axis since it really cuts and stays nice and crisp when i roll the volume down. when i feel on certain days its to bright i jsut back the treble on the amp down a half to one step.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
    I know there are supposed to be about the same, but.... really? The reason I ask is I don't think my Axis bridge pickup sounds very full. Almost too bright/trebly/thin, bordering on shrill.
    I get involved in these topics too often, so I'll make this short.

The Tone Zone is roughly a 17k pickup with slightly mismatched coils (each coil is wound to slightly offset frequencies).

The Axis pickup is basically a "Tone Zone with identically wound coils". It's got LESS crispness and dimension than the stock Tone Zone.

That said, identical pickups sound different in multiple guitars. It's possible it's hooked up incorrectly, it's possible someone at the store "swapped" the pickup with something else, you could have a wiring problem inside the guitar, or it's possible that your guitar's bridge is actually set up incorrectly.

Trust me, there is hardly any treble in the Axis or the Tone Zone. Those pickups were DESIGNED with Floyd guitars (floating ones, at that!) in mind.

This doesn't mean I think you're "wrong". The question is, WHAT is causing this brightness that you are legitimately hearing?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I get involved in these topics too often, so I'll make this short.

The Tone Zone is roughly a 17k pickup with slightly mismatched coils (each coil is wound to slightly offset frequencies).

The Axis pickup is basically a "Tone Zone with identically wound coils". It's got LESS crispness and dimension than the stock Tone Zone.

That said, identical pickups sound different in multiple guitars. It's possible it's hooked up incorrectly, it's possible someone at the store "swapped" the pickup with something else, you could have a wiring problem inside the guitar, or it's possible that your guitar's bridge is actually set up incorrectly.

Trust me, there is hardly any treble in the Axis or the Tone Zone. Those pickups were DESIGNED with Floyd guitars (floating ones, at that!) in mind.

This doesn't mean I think you're "wrong". The question is, WHAT is causing this brightness that you are legitimately hearing?
    designed for floating ones??? what are you talking about. the axis is a non floating trem and always has been. he is right the axis and evh pickups are much crisper then the tone zone. they dont sound exactly alike, while similar there not the same. you should go do this search over at the ebmm forum. there are numerous threads on it and the same response in all of them. you will find almost everyone describes the axis pickup crisper then the tone zone..... cause it is. depending on the amp and those settings can have a effect on that also. forgot to add the air norton and the stock axis/evh pickup are a different topic. there very close if not the same.
    Last edited by J_Alexander; 09.29.08 at 07:22 PM.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just traded my SD Custom Custom for a Tone Zone, I'm stoked to try it out.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just so i dont have to post all the threads head over to the ebmm forum and search tone zone vs evh/axis etc. the tone zone is great and i love it in my kramer but its not the axis pickup nor is it brighter compared ot the axis/evh at all. its as close as your gonna get though and a little amp equing should get you there.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well... Based on initial comments here, I just purchased one. I am going to record samples with the existing PU and once I get the TZ installed.

Thanks
    Chris

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I've read in some places that the Axis/EBMM EVH pup is closer to the Dimarzio Norton than the Tone Zone. I can't say one way or another myself, not having tried them.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never had an Axis pickup. I did use a Tone Zone in a 335 with a solid cover on it and it sounded AMAZING. The Tone Zone has a bunch of bass in it, which made my 335 have a very unique tone.

Now that the 335 is in hock, the Tone Zone went in my OLP. I love that pickup, and I will probably always use that as a go to pickup in any guitar I buy.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I've read in some places that the Axis/EBMM EVH pup is closer to the Dimarzio Norton than the Tone Zone. I can't say one way or another myself, not having tried them.
    the air norton and the axis/evh are very very close if not the same. i actually liek the air norton better but those 2 are for sure close. the bridge and the tone zone are different but its as close as you can get on the market. like i said swing on over to ebmm forum i am not trying to send you folks elsewhere but there are as many threads about them pickups as there are dave and sam threads here lol.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The tone zone is just a version of the EVH/Axis pickup that is eq'd for more bass to compensate in the thin sound of a floating floyd rose set up.

And it works, while the sustain is still not that great by nature of the guitar, it sounds way bigger. I like it a bunch. I mean, even if you block off a floating floyd it will still sound way thin, but this pickup helps solve that problem.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    designed for floating ones??? what are you talking about
    As you said earlier, the Axis pickup "is designed of the Tone Zone". The Tone Zone came first, and was DESIGNED for guitars with floating trems to help fill-in the bass and mids.

Make sense?

Secondly, the guys at the EBMM forums, as correct as they are regarding their guitars, aren't experts on pickups like the fellows over at the Duncan forums, which allows discussion of DiMarzio products, and actually all pickup brands. Hit the Metroamps forums or the Duncan forums for the real deal (most of the time).

The Air Norton is the Neck pickup in the Axis, by the way.

At the end of the day, the guy says his Axis pickups sound shrill. That's not normal. It is commonly known as a flubby, bassy pickup. So is the Tone Zone. I'm trying to help. If the Tone Zone works for him, or even the Air Zone, then great. Mission accomplished.

If you've got questions about anything I say, just head over to Metroamps or Duncan and do a search. Or ignore me, and trust your ears.

That's probably my best advice yet.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i wouldnt call the aixs pickup flubby or bassy thats all.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

he may actually have a problem with the pickup in which i would contact ebmm and get it replaced. they will want the old one back. take a reading of the bridge each coil should read about 8.3 to 8.5 or 16.6 to 17 for both. this is the standrad for them giving to me by jon smith head guitar guru at ebmm.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually had this "shrill" problem with the neck pup in my EBMM. They had me send in the whole guitar so they could look over all the wiring, and sent it back with a new pup. Old one oxidized in some critical connection apparently and the signal strength was diminished, so they replaced it.
    Brendan