Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

Default PS3... anyone???

is there anyone using the PS3 already???

problems??? i've heard it overheat sometimes...

is it worth the $400???

the on-line features are good???

thanks!
    =\//-/= LIVE: once again, i'll make it!!!

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

The PS3 will overheat if kept in an unventilated area, such as a cabinet. I've kept mine out of enclosed areas and have had no problems. Honestly, XBox360 online smokes PS3's online - PS3's is very slow. XBox online has more to offer, but I've heard PS3 is building theirs. It all depends on what you want. I love the graphics on PS3, thusly, I'm happy.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

We've had the 60G for almost a year with zero problems. My older boys like the online play and downloadable content (ie: game previews). Personally, I prefer our Wii though, after playing it, using buttons to steer seems so 20th century.

I will say this too, these things burn a TON of electricity when on, as in the same amount as a typical household refrigerator.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got one of the original PS3s. So far i got no problems with mine. All the people i have known with a ps3 about one or 2 have had problems. Lot of my guys own both systems. From what they tell me people have been having more problems with the Xbox than PS3. Xbox live is better than PS3 network. But with Home coming out and playstation Life needs some work and PS3 online will be equal or maybe better than xbox live. Only time will tell. But Wii is sweet. LOve to own one. I just dont have the time to play that much gaming.
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I needed a console for Fallout 3 release at the end of October. Bottom line was, I was much rather willing to spend 119 pounds on an Xbox Pro, than twice that price for PS3. I had read about Xbox "Red Rings of Death", but with 2 years extended warranty why would I care. Playing GTA4 now - graphics look perfect, no freezing problems - can't see how PS3 would have been any better.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.05.09 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only problem I have had with the PS3 is patiently waiting for games to be released for the system. It does seem like the PS3 is catching up.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I needed a console for Fallout 3 release at the end of October. Bottom line was, I was much rather willing to spend 119 pounds on an Xbox Pro, than twice that price for PS3. I had read about Xbox "Red Rings of Death", but with 2 years extended warranty why would I care. Playing GTA4 now - graphics look perfect, no freezing problems - can't see how PS3 would have been any better.
    I've gotten the rings of death on my X-Box once. Microsoft sent it off, fixed it, and sent it back to me in less than 3 weeks. I've had no problems since then. Their catalogue of games is top notch. I've never gotten into the online features. I don't have time, plus it'll be a pain for me to run all the wires for a wireless router and all that good stuff. Plus, my phone company's internet service sucks balls.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

one feature xbox dose'nt offer: blu ray disc player, the network for online gaming is free compared to xbox and i love it
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I got my PS3 primarily as a Blu-Ray player, and as such it's probably the best on the market. It also upscales standard def DVDs amazingly well. If you're after a home entertainment centre, as opposed to a pure games console, the PS3 is by far the best choice.

If it's specifically a games machine you need, then the Xbox 360 will offer a better range of software, and it's a lot cheaper. Having said that, the PS3 probably has a longer lifespan ahead of it. Its software market is yet to mature, while the 360 has probably already peaked.

Some early European PS3s were affected by excessive fan noise, including the first one I had. It was a completely random thing, and if you had a noisy one, it made dialogue driven movies unwatchable. Even standing in clear air, the fan noise would be so loud it would drown out dialogue at normal listening levels. I brought mine back to the shop after a week, and the one I got in return hasn't had any such problems. As far as I know, this only affected some 60gb models. The later models apparently used a newer chipset that didn't generate so much heat, so needed less fan cooling.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

i was thinking about using it as a game platform and a blu-ray player... i'm used to ps2 and have second thoughts about anything microsoft related.

i've heard the over-heating issues are not a matter for the 80 gig version. am i right?

wii would be fun also... but i'm after a blu-ray player and something i can use as a media center with my home theater... guess the ps3 is the way to go...
    Last edited by uncle ted; 09.30.08 at 07:09 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ted View Post
    i was thinking about using it as a game platform and a blu-ray player... i'm used to ps2 and have second thoughts about anything microsoft related.

i've heard the over-heating issues are not a matter for the 80 gig version. am i right?

wii would be fun also... but i'm after a blu-ray player and something i can use as a media center with my home theater... guess the ps3 is the way to go...
    forgot to mention that this is basically like a laptop computer with the internet browser built in
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ted View Post

I don't think overheating was ever really a problem on the 60gb models as much as a few of them sounding like a hairdryer when the fan kicked in to cool it. From what I've read on the PS3 forums, the newer 40gb and 80gb models have no such issues.

If you're thinking in terms of a media centre or Blu-Ray player rather than a pure games machine, then absolutely, the PS3 is the only choice.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an avid gamer and here's my opinion. I own all of the major systems ... The PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, PS2, XBOX 1 etc ... I have about 200 games.

The PS3 is an excellent system for what you get. The Blu Ray player is amazing and it up-converts regular DVD's very well. The games look great and it has proven to be a very reliable unit for me.

Pros: Blu Ray player, DVD up converter, fantastic system menu, web browser that can connect via a wireless router, blu tooth wireless remote control that is light weight and stays charged for a LONG time, PS3 offers free online gaming and updates. XBOX charges about $10 a month for XBOX live and if you don't by the 360 with a hard drive, you can't down load Maps, games and big updates for your games... like songs for Rock band etc...

Cons: Get's very hot so keep it ventilated well, the games are expensive (the Xbox 360 has a lot more titles and are less expensive when buying used), most games for the PS3 only go up to 720 resolution and most 360 games go up to 1080i (I have a 1080i HDTV so the 360 games look a lot better), PS3 games take a long time to load when playing them for the 1st time (Metal Gear solid 4 takes 25 minutes of load time during initial setup, GTA 4 took about 15 minutes), the system is about $200 more dollars than the 360.

Bottom line: If you want a Blu Ray player/DVD upconverter and a very nice game sytem then the PS3 is a fantastic option. If you want a system that has a lot of titles that are priced affordable then the XBOX 360 may be a better choice. Not to mention the XBOX 360 is a lot more affordable.

I must say I ike both the 360 and PS3 about equal because I really like the Blu Ray player. But for a gaming system only, the 360 is a better system in my opinion just because of the price of the unit, used games at Gamestop are cheap, their are more titles and Microsoft has fixed the whole Red Ring Of Death syndrome that started a coupe years ago.

Random thought about the Wii: The Wii is cute and fun if you have parties and friends over to bowl or play Mario Cart, but if you are a "gamer" the system is poor. The graphics are lame and the Wii provides different watered down versions of the popular games that are also available for other systems like PS3 or Xbox 360. Nintendo doesn't have a good quality control system in place to ensure that good games are released by other software companies and the titles tend to be low budget or outdated. The best titles are made by Nintendo and not all of those are great.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

thanks for the report... it sums up most of the ideas that i've had.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have a 60 gig PS3, got it when first introduced. We had to replace it 1st month we owned it due to excessive heating and subsequent failure. Got it replaced for free, under warranty. New unit is fine, runs quietly. The family likes the system, but we probably use the Wii more often. Great graphics on Burnout Paradise, fun game!

Does the newer models of PS3 offer backward compatibility to PS1 and PS2 games? I thought I heard that those newer models do not, don't remember if fact or rumor. The unit we have does play both older systems' games, nice to get decent games on the cheap.
    <Insert favorite VH song lyrics here>