Thread: EVH Amp Mic's

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH Amp Mic's

Anyone know what mics Ed was using to mic his 3 cabs live from '91 - '95? They appear to be the same ones, but I have no idea what make/model they are. They also look a lot like the ones he used on the VHIII and 2004 tours... any ideas?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/R44.html
    http://www.atlasproaudio.com/brauner.html

those are maybes but these are the ones i have heard he used and look to be it. they are pretty cheap lol.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i read somewhere that in the studio he used the sure sm57 not sure how true that is but they are an industry standard and pretty good, i use them myself and im sure if you ask some of the other guys round the links i bet a lot of them use them too.

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah in the early yrs he used the 57 but watching studio stuff from teh era he is talking about sure dosent look like a 57 plus these are live mics he was asking about. the 57 is good though. its what i use. cant afford these fancy ones lol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

I use 3 SM57's right now -- one for each of my 3 cabs. They are very good, but are tricky to get perfect because of the 5150's super directional speakers. Plus, since I saw that Ed was using flatter looking mics while he was using the 5150, I thought maybe that would help me with my recording sound.

However, with "ed's magic mics" being $3000+ a pop, and since I would need 3 of them, I think I'll be very happy with the SM57's after all....

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

heres a quick tip on using the sm57 with the 5150 cab...

use 2 per cab the first being directly infront of a speaker roughly around 1ft maybe 18inches away the second a couple of feet away at 45 degree's, that way you get the direct sound and some ambient bass waves and room dynamics, its far better than just a single mic.

tom

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    yeah in the early yrs he used the 57 but watching studio stuff from teh era he is talking about sure dosent look like a 57 plus these are live mics he was asking about. the 57 is good though. its what i use. cant afford these fancy ones lol.
    i read in balance era interviews he was still using the sm57, and i know he was talking about ed's live mics but being as i was unable to comment i thought i would offer the best advice i could on the subject.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh i know but dont believe ed was using using 57's during that era. if we havent learned anything from ed we have surely learened not to believe everything he says. i know andy supposedly recorded fuck with 2 mics on a cab. only thing is live that would mean 6 mics and then you might start running into phase issues. i like mr j use 57"s because of cost. i just put it to the side of the cone and about 3 or 5 inches form the grill cloth. ps mrj got the rick wiring done now. will have to post some more pics.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$3000 a mic? Wow. Do they really sound $2900 better than a SM57?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike-o View Post
    $3000 a mic? Wow. Do they really sound $2900 better than a SM57?
    Of course -- that's why Ed uses them

I doubt it... maybe a little better, but the SM57 is 1 AMAZING mic.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know live, (with his modern setup of W/D/W) I have seen Ed use 3 and maybe even 6 mics for his 3 cab setup. In the studio, For Unlawful and Balance were always said to have been recorded by using 1 amp and cab, and adding the effects later. That I actually believe -- it wouldn't be hard to record the 5150 dry with a combo of 1 or 2 mics (SM57 or otherwise) and then run that recording through an Eventide Harmonizer when they did the final mix of the guitar track. That way he would get perfect W/D/W, mixed exactly from the original signal -- and to taste, because it is added later.

As for the SM57 recording tips -- thanks. I have been doing recording for a while now, but even still, I have trouble getting the 5150's cabs miced up perfectly. I currently use 1 on each cab, directly on it, but slightly off to the side of the cone. My tone is very close to 90's Ed sound already, as you can hear in my last sound demo, but I think the next step for me will be to play around with the micing some. I think what will help is getting the cabs farther apart so there is less bleed between the 3 channels, and I think I will try Tommy's idea of backing the mics off to a foot away since I have mine right up near the grill cloth. From what I can tell from Eds live setup, his flat $$$ mics are anywhere from 2" - 10" away from the cabs...

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The SM57 is probably...

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Of course -- that's why Ed uses them

I doubt it... maybe a little better, but the SM57 is 1 AMAZING mic.
    ... the singular "cheap" mike that takes something priced 30X more to beat it. That being said, so many high-end studios use them for that reason alone.

I will say that the sound quality on a mic is quantifiably better every time you spend twice as much. My stage mics are pretty low-end, but at the money I spent on each of them ($130 and $200USD respectively), they are worlds better than, say a $50 mic. The mic I record scratch vocals with costs around $200USD, and it's better than any $100 recording mic; but I record my "real" vocals with a $3500 mic, which is about 16X better than my home studio mic.

But the SM57 is just a rare case.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    oh i know but dont believe ed was using using 57's during that era. if we havent learned anything from ed we have surely learened not to believe everything he says. i know andy supposedly recorded fuck with 2 mics on a cab. only thing is live that would mean 6 mics and then you might start running into phase issues. i like mr j use 57"s because of cost. i just put it to the side of the cone and about 3 or 5 inches form the grill cloth. ps mrj got the rick wiring done now. will have to post some more pics.
    What they do live has nothing to do with how they recorded things in the studio

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sure as hell wouldn't bring a $3000 mic on tour, no matter how rich i was

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no kidding i didnt know that. hence why he asked about live and not studio. ed hasnt used a 57 for along time in teh studio. just a fact nothing more.