Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Frustrated with my JS 1000. heres Why:

Hey guys and gals-
    This past year, I thought I got a guitar I'd really enjoy. I posted some pics of it (I'm gonna repost some of this because I'm to lazy to find the thread), but I'm just not completely happy with her. Heres the story.

I've always wanted a Ibanez JS guitar. Well, walking into the Pittsburgh Guitar Center, I saw one. It was an Grey JS1000. It had a big (big to me) gouge near the trem arm:

Because of that, I the price wouldn't be too shabby. I considered my options, and decided to trade off my USA Custom Shop Washburn Idol (GREAT GUITARS!) for the Satch. I figured, I'd be getting what I wanted, that I just wasn't playing the Washburn much, and after the repairs, I'd be happy with the Satch. I knew someone that does one heck of a paint job, too (you'll see).

After much deliberation with the manager of the Guitar Center, ( he wanted me to drop another couple of hundred of dollars! I argued with him. I told him what makes more sense, keeping a jacked up guitar on the wall and giving me a straight across trade where they could get a guitar that was taken care of on the wall or keep the Satch there? He relented, begrudgingly) I got the Satch. I contacted Dino, and asked if he would be up for repairing and repainting. Dino said no problem. I sent it out and Dino had it back within a month. Heres some pics of the guitar afterwards. The paint looks great:

Before and After

So whats the problem, you ask? Well, here goes. When I buy a signature guitar, I want it EXACTLY to the musicians specs. When I bought this, I wasn't entirely familiar with A JS 1000 and their specs. When it showed up, I started to play her, but something seemed wrong. After some research, I realized whomever owned this guitar before me had SWAPPED parts. It had the lesser Ibanez pickups in it (I popped the pickups out to see), and worse, it didn't have the Edge Pro Trem that Joe uses, instead, it has the Ibanez Lo Pro II trem. Worse, I can't even find a proper trem bar to fit the darn thing!!!

Now, I know that might sound a little Anal, but hey, thats just me. Like I said, when I buy something that has someones name on it, I want it the way they it would come from the store. Because of these little things, its like become the stepchild in my collection. I am back and forth with selling it off. What do you guys think? I do like the feel of the neck, and the weight is nice, but grrr, the trem SUCKS, and man, I LOVED the sound of the Satch PU's in the other JS 1000's I had checked out. Thoughts, comments, suggestions???
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Tough... We in guitar-geek-land have (I think) good reason to love and hate our instruments--and that includes how we "feel" about them. I was frustrated in part with the Wolfgang Special EXP because it was a compromised version of the Wolfgang guitar; Ed certainly didn't play them as he always claimed to do with every other guitar or amp he'd put out. (I'm guessing he also didn't even own any.) If you work that JS into the instrument you want it to be, you'll probably have more in it than you could get back, but it most definitely would have that super-custom personal touch--cooler than just a production guitar. On the other hand, if the thing is likely to always represent negativity and frustration to you, then you should just get rid of the thing. You really just need to forecast how you'll feel about it either way, make a decision, and trust your gut.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Andrew, my friend-
    You seem to get exactly how I feel (yes, I read your thread quite often), and you have it 110% on the money. Just like you said, damned if I do, and damned if I don't.
    If I were to keep it, I'm easily going to wind up dropping some $$ for the pu's and the trem (the Edge Pro is around $300!). Thats practically $500 more bucks-heck, I could probably BUY a decent Wolfie Special off of Ebay for that! I could probably start in on building up another guitar for that...but at the same time, I'd love to see this guitar BACK to the state it was once in. What to do...right now, my gut is thinking maybe I should just sell it outright, realize I lost money BIG time on this, and whatever I can get out of, just put into my New Gibson Slash goldtop (if you get a chance to check one of these out, do it! I totally dug the one I put down on layaway today-only 1000 are being made!).
    I figured a few people might give me some opinion on what to do.
    Last edited by Red43j; 09.25.08 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more comments
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Andrew, my friend-
    You seem to get exactly how I feel (yes, I read your thread quite often), and you have it 110% on the money. Just like you said, damned if I do, and damned if I don't.
    If I were to keep it, I'm easily going to wind up dropping some $$ for the pu's and the trem (the Edge Pro is around $300!). Thats practically $500 more bucks-heck, I could probably BUY a decent Wolfie Special off of Ebay for that! I could probably start in on building up another guitar for that...but at the same time, I'd love to see this guitar BACK to the state it was once in. What to do...right now, my gut is thinking maybe I should just sell it outright, realize I lost money BIG time on this, and whatever I can get out of, just put into my New Gibson Slash goldtop (if you get a chance to check one of these out, do it! I totally dug the one I put down on layaway today-only 1000 are being made!).
    I figured a few people might give me some opinion on what to do.
    Indeed. At what point do you want to cut your losses, before or after all the mods? (Of course you might not have to after the mods.) $500 more is big bucks, though. I feel your pain on this one.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Think bigger, friend.

If you really want to keep that guitar, buy another JS1000 used (and confirm
    it is up to spec). There's one on ebay right now from Atomic Music for $850 w/ free shipping. I'm sure you could get it for $799 or less if you called them. Or keep your eye out for a good deal.

Once you get it, swap the pickups and tremolo and then part out the other guitar and parts. You could only lose a couple hundred bucks (as opposed to spending $500) depending on how "in demand" a JS1000 neck and body are.

The extra pickups & tremolo (from your guitar now) should net you $150 or so total. If you get at least $400 for the neck and body, you aren't so bad off.
    Last edited by mk5; 09.25.08 at 09:35 PM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    Think bigger, friend.

If you really want to keep that guitar, buy another JS1000 used (and confirm
    it is up to spec). There's one on ebay right now from Atomic Music for $850 w/ free shipping. I'm sure you could get it for $799 or less if you called them. Or keep your eye out for a good deal.

Once you get it, swap the pickups and tremolo and then part out the other guitar and parts. You could only lose a couple hundred bucks (as opposed to spending $500) depending on how "in demand" a JS1000 neck and body are.

The extra pickups & tremolo (from your guitar now) should net you $150 or so total. If you get at least $400 for the neck and body, you aren't so bad off.
    MK5-
    Thats not half bad of an idea. The thing is, I just put a Gibson Slash Les Paul on layaway (the price was WAY awesome,the guitar sounded AWESOME, and I know that for a change, I'll be able to profit on this when I finally decide to let it go, as opposed to losing money!), and I just really don't want to have to drop money I don't have right now. Although, maybe in the next year, if I just let it sit...hmmmm...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I'm sure you've already checked this possibility, but are you sure this isn't a JS100 rather thana JS1000? The reason I ask is that the older 100 came with the Lo TRS trem (which yours appears to be) and AH pups rather than DiMarzios. What's more, the Edge trem variants don't fit into the same rout as the Lo TRS - they're quite a different shape. I can't imagine the production line would have turned out one or even a few guitars with a different rout to accomodate the cheaper trem.

I'm no expert on the Ibanez range, but I'm shopping around at the minute, so I'm reasonably familiar with the models and their features.

Just a suggestion.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've got a js1000 and it's my main axe. I love it. I'd get the edge pro and upgrade the pickups. I have a js100wh. I upgraded it to the Dimarizo Mo-Joe and PAF Joe. It rivals my js1000 now. The neck is not quite as nice but still very close. My js100 has the Edge III which is better than what the older js100s had. Definitely not as nice as the edge pro but I haven't had any tuning issues. I'm thinking I might swap out the edge III for graphtech's new ghost floyd rose but I need to figure out if it will fit in without any major modifications.
    You can also get a Tremol-No for your trem. It's done wonders for my guitars that have a floating trem.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I'm sure you've already checked this possibility, but are you sure this isn't a JS100 rather thana JS1000? The reason I ask is that the older 100 came with the Lo TRS trem (which yours appears to be) and AH pups rather than DiMarzios. What's more, the Edge trem variants don't fit into the same rout as the Lo TRS - they're quite a different shape. I can't imagine the production line would have turned out one or even a few guitars with a different rout to accomodate the cheaper trem.

I'm no expert on the Ibanez range, but I'm shopping around at the minute, so I'm reasonably familiar with the models and their features.

Just a suggestion.
    Charvel2-
    I have thought that too-that maybe this was a JS100-BUT the JS 100 never came in the grey color. Dino thought that maybe the reason the gouge in the body was there was because of the LO TRS trem...I've looked at the trem several times and thought that the cavity looks like it could take the Edge pro trem. That, and the trem posts look exactly like the Edge pros (it has the spot on the top where you put the smaller screws in). Someone on another forum pointed out how the trem looked like the intonation adjustments looked like they were back fairly far as well...I'd love to know just who exactly owned the guitar before, and just what exactly was going on with it.