Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Any recent experience selling EVH replicas on the bay of evil?

Just curious if anyone here has had any personal run-ins with auctions getting pulled, or getting harassed by EVH corporate lawyer types?

I got great feedback from the construction of my 5150 replica, and have been asked by quite a few people if I'd sell it to them, so I'm seriously thinking about making another one (or a few) just to sell to interested people. I'm also curious about what kind of price it could fetch on the online auctionhouse, given that I lost my teaching job to california budget cuts and I really could use something to provide income for my family.

But I don't want to invest the time and cost into making something if there's no market for it, and I haven't seen any replicas on evilbay for awhile, other than the Charvel guitart versions of the frankie. I'm wondering if that's because of an EVH crackdown, or if it just happens that there aren't any on there right now.

Anyone have any experiences they can share on the topic?
    Brendan

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen any of your replicas...any pics?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

A couple of years ago I put up a used Wolfgang Floyd Rose locking nut. (I often sell the used ones when I install a new one.) The listing title was: "Peavey EVH Wolfgang Floyd Rose Locking Nut." Motherfucking EVH's lawyers had the auction PULLED because it had "EVH" in the title... EVEN THOUGH IT CAME OFF A PEAVEY EVH FUCKING WOLFGANG GUITAR! I was pissed. I understand why they pull the replica auctions; it's trademarked. But they were stupid-ass nit-picking by yanking my locking nut auction. And once it's been pulled there's no way to defend yourself or re-list after making a few modifications. (And you often don't even get your listing fee back.)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Andrew. Who else can chime in?

Red... look about 5 threads down in this forum, there's a thread with lots of pix of my 5150 replica both completed and the work in progress pix. It's the first EVH type guitar I've done, have been making guitars for about 15 years but usually original custom strats or shredders, never a replica or anything resembling someone else's guitar before. For my first foray into it, I made a bright shiny clearcoated 5150 variant - not an exact replica, but one to make myself happy. Now that I've gone through the process, I'm tempted to build another one a bit more exact, albeit non-weathered.
    Brendan

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH Lawyers pulled one of my auctions

Quote Originally Posted by g60racer View Post
    Just curious if anyone here has had any personal run-ins with auctions getting pulled, or getting harassed by EVH corporate lawyer types?

I got great feedback from the construction of my 5150 replica, and have been asked by quite a few people if I'd sell it to them, so I'm seriously thinking about making another one (or a few) just to sell to interested people. I'm also curious about what kind of price it could fetch on the online auctionhouse, given that I lost my teaching job to california budget cuts and I really could use something to provide income for my family.

But I don't want to invest the time and cost into making something if there's no market for it, and I haven't seen any replicas on evilbay for awhile, other than the Charvel guitart versions of the frankie. I'm wondering if that's because of an EVH crackdown, or if it just happens that there aren't any on there right now.

Yes, I was trying to sell one of my Meanstreet Exiles, and because I used the word "Wolfie" in the title, it got pulled. I couldn't sell the damned thing, so I am stuck.

This is what drove me to hand-painting "F*** EVH Lawyers" on one of my stage guitars.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why are you blaming the lawyers?

i find it funny that when people get in serious trouble their lawyer is their best friend but when they are protecting other people they are the bad guys?

how about pissing on ed instead? he is the one that put the lawyers on you in the first place.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love lawyers, actually

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post
    why are you blaming the lawyers?

i find it funny that when people get in serious trouble their lawyer is their best friend but when they are protecting other people they are the bad guys?

how about pissing on ed instead? he is the one that put the lawyers on you in the first place.
    To me, telling EVH lawyers to go naff themselves is actually to tell EVH to do the same, in my opinion. They definitely earn their keep for EVH.

No, I am one who wants to preserve the right to sue. Tort reform is just to try and take away David's slingshot against the next Goliath. But enough of politics.

Really, the "F*** EVH lawyers" was a bit tongue-in-cheek. After all, my stripper friends were quite angry with me when I also painted "Never trust strippers" on the same guitar... and I meant that in the same way.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.28.12 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g60racer View Post

Don't do it man... friends of my have painted their own and tried to sell it on Ebay. They got C & D's from the EVH camp and were told to go to their website with all of the trademarks on it- www.van-halen.com/samples.html

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks ^ That's what I was hoping not to hear, but glad to be told in advance. Guess I'll keep it to building them by individual commission rather than the general marketplace.
    Brendan