Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default New Metallica Album and Guitar tone!

Hey guys,

Being a VH fan and from the school of 80's music and classic rock I have to say I've liked Metallica a little. I've grown to like them more and more and recently got into the Master of Puppets album which is amazing.

Well, I bought the new Death Magnetic album and I have to say this album kicks my ass in riffs, tone and overall song writing. At times, It's super fast to be fast and maybe a little disjointed here and there but...it's one of the best hard rock/metal albums to come out in years.

The tones that Hetfield and Hammett get are amazing. Anyone else hear it? What amps do they use?

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

The new single to me is too choppy. There is some good stuff in it but the arrangement is wrong. But thats all I have heard from it so its all I can comment on.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

edit

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of old Metallica, Kill 'Em All through the Black Album. I lost all interest really with Load. I also bought the new album and it definitely sounds like old Metallica. It's not quite as catchy all around, but it really is one of the best albums I've heard come out in quite a while. I believe back in the summer, they were claiming that this album would fit in perfectly between And Justice For All and the Black Album.....I would have to agree.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

God I had the total opposite reaction you guys did. I've heard three tracks off of it and I thought they were god awful. The riffs are so generic, it's hard to believe this is the same band that put out "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets." Just the same formulatic hammer-on garbage they've been putting out, just a bit longer, with weird transitions that don't work and some solos.

I really think it's the end of the line for Metallica, their is just no fire in their music, no creativity at all. It's weird what happened to this band.

Maybe I'm really off on this, I am shocked you guys like it that much.

And the production...god could they compress the sound any more?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I agree totally.

I appreciate that you can crank it without hurting your ears, but to be honest, I don't like how squished the guitar tone is, AT ALL.

It sounds way better through my car audio (obviously) than through my PC's speakers, but still. Sometimes the rythm almost has a "too-spongy" attack.

I actually do like at least 3 of the songs so far, though. Haven't downloaded the rest. So I'd say that I like the songs (which I agree aren't as good as their late 80's albums), but am not crazy about the tone.

And I have to say, I think their actual TONE was always a big part of their snarling, sterile sounding aggression. The electric drums, the tight & cold guitars, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

God I had the total opposite reaction you guys did. I've heard three tracks off of it and I thought they were god awful. The riffs are so generic, it's hard to believe this is the same band that put out "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets." Just the same formulatic hammer-on garbage they've been putting out, just a bit longer, with weird transitions that don't work and some solos.

I really think it's the end of the line for Metallica, their is just no fire in their music, no creativity at all. It's weird what happened to this band.

Maybe I'm really off on this, I am shocked you guys like it that much.

I have to say...You're off on this!

But everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

But it is a GREAT fucking turnaround after St. Anger. And imo, the album is truly GREAT!

Metallica will survive based on their live show ALONE. They don't even need to put out a new album. They switch their setlist every night...add old songs to it....they kick ass live.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

With all due respect to the King of this site, I have to say you are way off in my opinion on this one Brett. This album is special.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Dude we all could make a better album than St. Anger, that's no measure of anything. That was an abortion of a record that shouldn't even be considered music.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.06.10 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The album is a great album all the way through. I hear AC/DC's album is also great. I am looking forward to that. I hope VH gets in the mood and does a album!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.18.12 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still don't like Lars snare drum tone. It really reminds me of St. Anger in a way. That being said...after giving it a couple listens, it really grows on you. I was a little disappointed after my first listen, but there's a lot of music to digest with this album. Granted, I will admit it does seem to be over produced at times, and I really dislike the lyrics for The day that never comes (or as I like to call it, The Song that Never Ends). But musically, after a couple listens, I do really like and enjoy the album.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I have to say...You're off on this!

But everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

But it is a GREAT fucking turnaround after St. Anger. And imo, the album is truly GREAT!

Metallica will survive based on their live show ALONE. They don't even need to put out a new album. They switch their setlist every night...add old songs to it....they kick ass live.
    100% on this! I think the album is sick! I even went to bed listening to it last night with headphones...can't remember the last time I did that.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Dude we all could make a better album than St. Anger, that's no measure of anything. That was an abortion of a record that shouldn't even be considered music.
    I'd take VH3 over St. Anger any day.

I say you are pretty right on with your assessment of what you have heard, the is no song structure, it goes one direction and then another without a hook.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

Well this is what makes the world go around....everyone has different opinions.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Well it is music. And yeah the riffs are basic...in some cases TOO FUCKING BASIC. The whole album is one riff...REPEATED.

The fact that it's obviously better than St. Anger doesn't make it's special. It's that I can actually hear James' voice again. The Reall Het's voice like I've grown to love from the past.

I'm obviously not comparing Death Magnetic to St. Anger as much as I'm comparing to Load or Re-Load and imo, it stands up pretty DAMNED WELL!

But to say that this is the end of the line for Metallica is complete and utterly ridiculous. Saying that after St. Anger? I might not have argued with you...but after THIS release.....that's insanity, in my opinion
    Last edited by MF5150; 09.23.08 at 09:48 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel