VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default scalloped necks?

i dont know if theres already been a thread about this and my appolgies if there already has, i'm just too lazy to search!

i have a project in the works right now and was considering fitting a scalloped board, i already have a great fender style maple neck but was considering getting a second neck and scalloping the fretboard myself (a few files etc) just wondering if anyones done this kind of work themselvs before or if anyone has played a guitar with a scalloped neck and what they think of them.
    i've never played one myself and just fancied something a little different, ofcourse if it turns out to be a bag of poo i can fit the neck i bought for the project originaly.

cheers guys

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

You've never played a scalloped neck and your'e going to do a project? Would suck if you didn't like the way it felt afterwards. But good luck. I tried playing one a couple of times. I didn't like the way it felt, or lack thereof. I gotta feel the wood, but that's just my opinion. I'm just saying that you should try one out before putting time into building it, just a process of elimination... but like I said, just an opinion. I'm sure there are some people on here that can help you out in the process. It's where I come to get a lot of my answers.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i dont know if theres already been a thread about this and my appolgies if there already has, i'm just too lazy to search!

i have a project in the works right now and was considering fitting a scalloped board, i already have a great fender style maple neck but was considering getting a second neck and scalloping the fretboard myself (a few files etc) just wondering if anyones done this kind of work themselvs before or if anyone has played a guitar with a scalloped neck and what they think of them.
    i've never played one myself and just fancied something a little different, ofcourse if it turns out to be a bag of poo i can fit the neck i bought for the project originaly.

cheers guys

tom
    Morn'in Tom. Do you have any stores where you live that rent out higher end guitars? By that I mean that they will rent out pretty much any instrument thats on display? The reason i ask is that a couple of years ago, I thought I would try out one of the Mexican Yngwie Strats as I thought a scalloped board might be cool. I tried it for about a Week, and the first thing I discovered is you really have to adjust your fingering pressure.

It was a little distracting at first, but after noodling on it for a while, I really liked the feel of it. It seemed alot more expressive in that you can get some cool vibrato happening, and you can reallygrab the strings and pull off amazing bends. The guitar came with 8 guage strings which is apparently what alot of people recommend with scallops and is what Malmsteen uses. You could go to 9' thru 42's I'm sure, but the heavier guage I can imagine will destroy your callouses. My fingertips, I'm not joking had grooves in them! Without the wood behind the string, your fingertips tend to wrap around the string. I'm sure it's a temporary thing as they get used to that type of neck. Overall the neck was great. i just did'nt get off on the electrics in it. If this neck you have is kind of a second, I'd say go for it. Maybe do a mild scallop first, and then go progressively deeper to where you are comfortable. I just think if you can get your hands on one first would be the ticket. Good luck.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the whole reason im doing it is because where i live (the middle of nowhere on top of a hill) theres no local music store around that sell or rent anything, which is why im gonna build my own rather than drive round trying to find a store that has one, i have played some of the ibanez jems that have the higher frets scalloped and quite like the feel of them, and i have heard the same about adjusting your fingering, which is cool with me i like to have a new challenge every now and again (last year i learned lefty for shits n giggles!), i have seen a neck that im gonna go with, your basic fender strat with a maple board and if i dont like the way it feels when im done i have a neck here that i was going to put on it originaly which i really like.

any of the links builders/luthiers wanna chime in?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a scalloped neck that I put on a Mexi Strat Standard, I like it. As said above, it was hard to get used to, but I think it helped my playing overall. I always tended to push down hard so the string hit the fretboard and this is not what needs to be done, the string just has to be fretted, the scalloped board helped me to learn that and play with a lighter touch, I enjoyed it.

As for the neck, I had it scalloped for me. There was a guy on ebay a few years ago that used to scallop the necks for you, he may still be there doing iti, haven't looked in a while. The name of the guy was Smooth Grooves or Smoove Grooves or something like that. Seems it was about $75 or so and he would scallop your neck for you, I thought that was well worth it, he did a great job.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    the whole reason im doing it is because where i live (the middle of nowhere on top of a hill) theres no local music store around that sell or rent anything, which is why im gonna build my own rather than drive round trying to find a store that has one, i have played some of the ibanez jems that have the higher frets scalloped and quite like the feel of them, and i have heard the same about adjusting your fingering, which is cool with me i like to have a new challenge every now and again (last year i learned lefty for shits n giggles!), i have seen a neck that im gonna go with, your basic fender strat with a maple board and if i dont like the way it feels when im done i have a neck here that i was going to put on it originaly which i really like.

any of the links builders/luthiers wanna chime in?
    Good on ya Tommy. Yer like me. always looking for a challenge. I used to build and sell semi professionally for about seven years. I had'nt done any scalloping to to that level. I'd love to see it when it's done.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just played a scalloped neck for the first time today, it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be...
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't remember the name of the website, but it gives you a step-by-step on how to scallop a fretboard. It seems like a straight-forward process, just need a steady hand. But I can't find it in my favourites...sorry mate!