Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Gibson Faded Neck Stability

Hey all:
    As many know , I picked up a new Gibby SG faded. Given that I was out of practice, I took it to a well known luthier for a proper fret dress and setup to get the minor buzz out of it when I dropped guages to 9's. from 10's. It was perfect. No buzz anywhere on the neck. Well, now the buzz has come back. The neck still looks straight when sighted down along the bass and treble sides, but ther is a buzz around the 8th. and 10th. frets. WTF?

The guitar was built fairly recently. The finish still has a freshly painted kinda smell. My tech set the action quite low, but no lower than my old Les Paul which wouldn't buzz if you tried to pull the neck back. Rock solid. Has anyone else had a lively neck like this? Will this settle with time? Is there a solution? I usually play mapleboards, as their my preference, and my old Paul was a standard finished guitar with and ebony board and the typical 11 or 12 coats of nitro. Those necks are rigid and have never had this issue. This is a new one for me. It even changes between rooms. My studio is a bit on the cool side. I bring it out to the living area, and within an hour it starts buzzing out on the bass side A and E strings. This guitar did not buzz at the store, but then it's a climate controlled store, so I imagine when their set up there they stay within spec. I'm just getting a bit pissed off. I really love the way the guitar plays and sounds, but I've just never dealt with such a touchy neck.

I could'nt imagine gigging with it at this stage, and that was the main purpose of buying this guitar. Should I just raise the action a tick as maybe it's just breaking in in it's own way? I know I play this guitar more than the average person would. I usually play around four or five hours a night writing and recording. I just don't know what to do. My tech set it up great but now it seems to be going backwards. Any advice would be appreciated.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry mods. My browser froze this morning so this got double posted somehow. can you close or delete one of these threads?
    Thanks
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

If I remember correctly, you said you paid $290 or something for the set-up from the guy who does Angus's SG's. I'd imagine he could help you out more than anyone else...

I prefer the action on my guitars to be set at exactly 1/16" inch at the 17th fret on both sides (which everybody says is super-low)... I've only found a few guitars that can do that with zero buzzing. 2 Wolfgangs, an old Mexican strat, and my Steinberger Trans-Trem model.

I know it's frustrating.... Sometimes if you just raise that action a hair, the buzzing will cease...

Also, you may need lighter "touch" when playing that guitar... I find that S.I.T. 09-42's seem to give me the least amount of problems on my guitars...

~Peace
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    If I remember correctly, you said you paid $290 or something for the set-up from the guy who does Angus's SG's. I'd imagine he could help you out more than anyone else...

I prefer the action on my guitars to be set at exactly 1/16" inch at the 17th fret on both sides (which everybody says is super-low)... I've only found a few guitars that can do that with zero buzzing. 2 Wolfgangs, an old Mexican strat, and my Steinberger Trans-Trem model.

I know it's frustrating.... Sometimes if you just raise that action a hair, the buzzing will cease...

Also, you may need lighter "touch" when playing that guitar... I find that S.I.T. 09-42's seem to give me the least amount of problems on my guitars...

~Peace
    Yeah, he would be of help, but he is in Japan for the next month or so. He told me to tell him if anything happens, but it only reappeared in the past Week, and he is not available. I'm just not sure why it would be so susceptable to slight temp and humidity changes. I hope I hav'nt been bitten by the current Gibson quality curse. It's just weird. I hope he can fix it when he get's back, but I just don't know if I'm over reacting, or if it's something that will correct itself as the wood ages. It's just such a dramatic change for such slight variations in temperature or humidity like I said. Would it be worth adding a few mor coats of nitro to seal up the grain a bit more?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

By the way, those ol Mexican Strats are incredible ar'ent they? I have one too, a '68 reissue, and it's the same way. I set mine probably I'd guess around an eighth or so, but no buzz and dead level when straight edged. I think Iv'e been spoiled by that guitar. It's become my benchmark of quality. Also those old Steinberger are rock solid to. A GL? never gonna be a problem.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even on a *crappier* neck, (unlike yours), if you have the right tools (I'm sure your tech does) you can use a radiused beam and sand the frets level. Of course any slight truss rod adjustment or temperature shift of the neck will most likely throw it off, and it has to be re-done, since necks never curve and shift equally over their entire length. Hopefully your neck is a good solid one, and it has just experienced some initial wear in shifting or something like that. In that case, once your tech sets it up again, it should last a very long time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Even on a *crappier* neck, (unlike yours), if you have the right tools (I'm sure your tech does) you can use a radiused beam and sand the frets level. Of course any slight truss rod adjustment or temperature shift of the neck will most likely throw it off, and it has to be re-done, since necks never curve and shift equally over their entire length. Hopefully your neck is a good solid one, and it has just experienced some initial wear in shifting or something like that. In that case, once your tech sets it up again, it should last a very long time.
    Yep. That's what he did. He did a complete fret level then crowned them beautifully. That's whats so perplexing. He was saying the whole process took around 9 hours, in that with each truss adjustment, he let the neck settle, then would readjust fore or aft if necessary. He's no hack that's for sure, I'm just wondering if the wood is a little green so to speak. Perhaps a little too much moisture content that will reduce over time. Possible?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you say it changes depending on what room you're in, that leads me to believe its more a humidity/climate thing, which unless you have every room exactly the same, you're never gonna settle it (for a good while anyway) a lot electrics buzz in a few places but usually its not noticeable through an amp, but if its really bugging the shit out of you or its coming through the amp i'd raise the action a hair on the effected strings, atleast until your tech is back and available.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    you say it changes depending on what room you're in, that leads me to believe its more a humidity/climate thing, which unless you have every room exactly the same, you're never gonna settle it (for a good while anyway) a lot electrics buzz in a few places but usually its not noticeable through an amp, but if its really bugging the shit out of you or its coming through the amp i'd raise the action a hair on the effected strings, atleast until your tech is back and available.
    Hey, thanks Tommy. It's been a real pain. I mean I paid a fair amount for a quality setup, and by all accounts it was.People take a look at the fret job in awe. it's that good. The neck just seems to have a mind of it's own. It's not warped thank god, but I don't want to continually tweak the truss rod either. one thing is that he installed D'addario strings. I've never used them willingly, as alot of guitars that come with them seem a little dead sounding to my ear. These are quite the opposite. They are very bright, and I've played the hell out of 'em, but do they stand up well? are they prone to buzz more than other strings with wear? I can't imagine they would, but I did have a bad batch of bass strings once, and you'd swear there was something loose in the bridge it rattled so bad. It was just a poorly wound E string. Excuse my ramble. I'm just a little baffled by the whole thing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Maybe I should just blame the whole damn thing on Global Warming!
    That way I have a cut and dried cause!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Hey, thanks Tommy. It's been a real pain. I mean I paid a fair amount for a quality setup, and by all accounts it was.People take a look at the fret job in awe. it's that good. The neck just seems to have a mind of it's own. It's not warped thank god, but I don't want to continually tweak the truss rod either. one thing is that he installed D'addario strings. I've never used them willingly, as alot of guitars that come with them seem a little dead sounding to my ear. These are quite the opposite. They are very bright, and I've played the hell out of 'em, but do they stand up well? are they prone to buzz more than other strings with wear? I can't imagine they would, but I did have a bad batch of bass strings once, and you'd swear there was something loose in the bridge it rattled so bad. It was just a poorly wound E string. Excuse my ramble. I'm just a little baffled by the whole thing.
    i really cant comment on D'addario strings, i haven't used them in years but it could be worth changing them just to see if theres any disernable difference, it could be due to the fact that it was originaly set-up from the factory with 10's and it "likes" them more than 9's (my gibson mIII plays great with 10's but like a bag of poo with 9's!) some guitars are a bit like people a bit temperamental at times and take time to adjust...i would consult you tech again though or perhaps p.m. some of the builders here.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

i really cant comment on D'addario strings, i haven't used them in years but it could be worth changing them just to see if theres any disernable difference, it could be due to the fact that it was originaly set-up from the factory with 10's and it "likes" them more than 9's (my gibson mIII plays great with 10's but like a bag of poo with 9's!) some guitars are a bit like people a bit temperamental at times and take time to adjust...i would consult you tech again though or perhaps p.m. some of the builders here.
    Thanks again Tommy. Y'know, it was so bad last night that I decided to fuck waiting, and went to town on it. I straightedged it with and without string tension, and the result was that the rocking on the frets was progressive from the center out, so the frets were levelled perfectly, so I decided reluctantly to readjust the truss rod, and give it a little more relief. I'm tell'n ya all it needed was an eighth in. adjustment, and it made all the difference. It was surprising to me that such a small adjustment could affect it that dramatically. it just appears that the adjustment my tech made took a while to take full effect, and the result was to much pull and the buzz was getting progressively worse. So that explains the temp sensativity. Plays like a dream again. I guess I'll just have to keep on top of it and make sure the pull is in the proper range. Thanks guys for the feed back. This sucker was making me feel like a rookie again!

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have one and don't have problem with buzz, but the neck does seem touchy. I'll occasionally hear it out of pitch and it seems I bend the neck a bit inadvertantly if I rest to hard w/ my left hand (if that makes any sense).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nitefly5150 View Post
    I have one and don't have problem with buzz, but the neck does seem touchy. I'll occasionally hear it out of pitch and it seems I bend the neck a bit inadvertantly if I rest to hard w/ my left hand (if that makes any sense).
    Do you have an SG? I know the SG necks due to their mounting location are a little more sensative. My '72 was like how you described but did not buzz, but then by the time I got it , it was welllllll broken in, were talking 12 or 13 years worth of playing. it still blows me away that i had purchased that guitar around 1985 for $300.00! I sold it for around the same amount because I had replaced the original tuners 'cause they were getting trashed. I wonder how much that guitar would be today in the current market. The body was in great shape.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Do you have an SG? I know the SG necks due to their mounting location are a little more sensative. My '72 was like how you described but did not buzz, but then by the time I got it , it was welllllll broken in, were talking 12 or 13 years worth of playing. it still blows me away that i had purchased that guitar around 1985 for $300.00! I sold it for around the same amount because I had replaced the original tuners 'cause they were getting trashed. I wonder how much that guitar would be today in the current market. The body was in great shape.
    Yes, its an SG. I'd always heard the necks were a little sensitive too, but was more concerned in changes in the weather than leaning on it too much.