Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Default Alpaca's

....So I think I just went a little to the silly side.

I bought a couple of Alpaca's Sunday. For some people I guess, that's kinda normal. For me, that's not.

I guess they are considered livestock. I don't have much (any) experience here. I got them for my Daughter who is 11. I want her to learn from them and have chores and responsibilities above what she's doing now. This isn't a financial investment of any kind. Nothing like that. Really just pets with a purpose. She begged for them. I bought them (very cheap).

I don't have a farm. I have a half acre in suburbia. I plan on walking them down the street occasionally so I don't have to cut their toe nails. This is very odd though. This week I'll be building a shelter in what used to be the dog run, buying 4 bails of hay for their meals the first month, then having these things delivered.

I think I'm really a bit silly.

Just wondering, does anybody have any experience with these things? I don't want to sound too terribly half baked on this. I did do SOME research. Just curious if anybody else raises/has raised/knows anybody well that raises them.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Why in the fuck did you buy a couple alpacas? If you wanted a camel, you should have just bought one. Can you at least eat them or something?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    I plan on walking them down the street occasionally
    You've decided it's your time to become that guy, eh?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

In my whole life I've never ever heard anyone say: I just bought a couple of alpacas.

If the neighbors look at you funny when you're walking your alpacas down the street, just yell to them: "I don't like cutting toenails!"

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I could see OLO acquiring some Alpaca's. Seenbad though? That's one outta left field. Seen, you've just elevated yourself to OLO status. Take that however you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

I have never considered purchasing Alpacas - in fact I don't even know if you can buy Alpacas in Australia. Be a waste of money anyway though, they would just get eaten by a spider or something.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

This is probably the best idea I've ever seen on this site.

Alpaca ? ALLpaca.... That could be the official thread title.

Seen. You rock well and fully.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Isn't that what the crazy grandma had for a pet in Napoleon Dynamite? We see commercials for 'em here a lot on local TV but nobody has them. Do they get big enough to ride or just big enough to require toenail trimming? For some reason I'm thinking you can at least eat or maybe shear 'em so you can weave up a sweater or something. Did you get same sex or one each?

I'm curious to know how this all turns out.

Ted
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

For those who want to know more, here is the fountain of knowledge and lively debate on all things paca-style.

Even includes some pretty venomous threads where these crazy guys go at it.

Sam vs Dave - Pah, nothing. Try clip vs sidewalk.

http://www.alpacanation.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Alpacas look like ET.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK Seen.....I am envious that you can have alpacas in your neighborhood. I'd be thrown out of my hood for having anything other than a dog or cat! And trust me these nit picky bastards look for anything.... it gives them great pleasure to leave that "note" in your mailbox!

I have a horse, which I board. At the barn... she has lots of livestock stuff, no alpacas, but she does have llamas.

Alpacas are supposed to be friendly, silly, gentle and nice pets. Your daughter will likely love having them. They are easy to care for as far as I know - I'm sure they require a vaccine or two per year... tetanus would be one of the most important (you can order this and do it yourself or call a vet) the chores and feeding will do her well in learning to care for things.

I had 4 horses , chickens, dogs, cats, goats ect... growing up and my brother & I had to care for them all.... it taught us a LOT of responsibility.

I can't wait to see pictures!!!!! I think you can shear them and sell the fur...it's quite valuable! Have fun!!!!

I don't think you are crazy...I'll bet you'll be a very popular guy as people wait to see you each day walking your alpaca!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, if you just bump off the alpacas, you could have some nice socks to walk down the street in.

http://www.alpacadirect.com/Details~...condary~24.htm

Ok, so maybe it's a bad idea....Anyway, enjoy your camel-sheep-ewoks.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Diversify your portfolio…
    Alpacas are known as the World’s Finest Livestock Investment!

Alpacas produce a premium fiber in 22 vibrant colors, the demand for which is ever increasing.

Annual fiber yields vary from about five pounds from a single female to a reported thirteen pounds from a larger male.

Many alpaca farms have small gift shops offering sweaters, hats, gloves, as well as yarn, rovings, and raw fleece. Due to a high demand for these beautiful animals, it is common for a female offspring of an alpaca to sell for the same price or more than an investor paid for the dam. Returns of 30% to 74% are not uncommon in the alpaca industry.

The current market prices for alpacas in America are:

- Bred females $10,000 to $45,000
    - Breeding males $15,000 to $50,000. On occasion, Herdsires have reached the $100,000 to $250,000 mark at auction.
    - Pet quality males from $1,000

Alpaca prices will vary with age, health, fiber quality, size, color, conformation and reproductive history.

Regulations preventing or limiting alpaca exports from Chile, Peru and Bolivia have contributed to the shortage of breeding stock. Because alpaca females have one cria a year, the National herd will continue to grow at a slow rate.

Not to be overlooked as a very important aspect of raising alpacas are the great tax benefits that Uncle Sam provides. (It is important that you consult your own tax advisor as it pertains to your specific tax situation).

An alpaca can typically be depreciated over a five-year span or 20% per year and, in addition, Section 179 of the tax code currently allows for the deduction of a capital asset up to $100,000 in the first year the asset is acquired. Capital gains can be available on the sale of breeding animals and their offspring.

Other tangible property such as barns, fences, trailers, etc are also depreciable assets and can also help shelter current cash flow from tax.

Certain expenses are also tax deductible such as feed, veterinarian care, supplies, etc.

Add to all of this that alpacas are 100% insurable!

If you continue to investigate alpaca production as a business opportunity, it’s essential that you are able to answer the following questions concerning the production and marketing of alpacas, as well as the management of such an enterprise.

Are you prepared to learn all you can about alpaca production and marketing, visit existing operations, join the industry associations, attend workshops and read all you can about production and marketing?

Have you clearly defined the market(s) and the buyers that you will be marketing to?

Have you clearly defined the production practices you need to implement in order to produce the quality of product required by your markets?

Have you clearly defined the marketing activities required in order to market your product to the specific market segment mentioned above?

Are you aware of the amount of time you have to devote to continuously marketing your alpacas and improving your production performance?

Are you aware of the resources required to establish an alpaca enterprise?

Have you carefully analyzed the returns and cash flows you can expect from an alpaca operation?

Are you prepared to manage the risks associated with investing in alpaca and operating an alpaca enterprise?

Yours Truly,
    Pat Badger
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Do the Alpaca's have names yet? (ie. Al & Paco)

Many moons ago, I was sippin' a little moonshine with the Sargent-at-Arms of a southwest MC named Taco.

He had two anacondas that his daughter named Anna & Connie.

The names were cool, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that they were boa constrictors.

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Premium Member

Buying alpacas to teach your daughter responsiblity? I think David Koresh started that way.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing