Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Made my own 5150 replica

Okay, so first off it's not intended to be an exact replica reproduction, but a close variant on the theme -- I didn't use a Kramer Pacer Special body, I used a Baretta body... so I *know* it has an improperly angled pickup. But I wasn't shooting for an exact replica, just one I'd be happy with, and one that I could identify easily -- gotta add my own personal touches. For example, i only painted the front of the headstock, not all the way around like EVH's. I also left out a one particular stripe as a "tell", and in general I made the smaller stripes a bit thicker than on the EVH 5150. A couple other "tells" in there as well, to set mine apart as an homage but not an exact replica.

I wasn't going for the full relic'd look either, wanted something kinda nice. I didn't shoot for perfection on the body, but left the texture of the striping in place so there's a bit of feel to it without true weathering, other than the actual weathering in the hardware from my many years of playing this guitar.

I originally bought it in 1989, and have been playing it ever since. It had the mini-banana headstock on a rosewood fretboard, but I always wanted to replace it with a full maple banana neck and have my own 5150-ish guitar. Finally got around to doing it in July.

For the neck I started with a blank and cut it myself. Full maple, and I used an oscillating pin sander to try to mimic the deep assymetrical profile on my Musicman Axis, and cut the banana headstock. The neck profile is the only area I was really anal and tried for perfection. It's pretty darned close - as close as i could manage by hand without CAD-CAM and laser scanning and all that EBMM voodoo!

I had Fred at The Repair Zone (in San Diego) cut the heel to the precise depth I needed to fit the pocket on the Baretta (has a strange depth, needs a more shallow neck than a strat or standard bolt-on electric)... and he touched up my fretwork and nut placement as well. Thanks Fred! Then I did a hand rubbed oil finish on the neck.

Part 2 to follow:
    Brendan

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the body, I started by painting the whole thing white, then masked the stripes and painted the red layer. Then masked again and painted the black layer, to end up with the red with white and black crisscrossed stripes.

Brendan

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used the proper period correct original Floyd Rose trem with an R2 nut, Gotoh tuners, a PAF pickup, p-bass knob (MXR style), and hard-mounted the pickup into the wood. Used two springs for the trem, in same position as EVH's, and did the same flush mount setup - no pullback, just dive. Also got a hold of the proper space tape 5150 and stars!

Plays pretty nice, and the sound is dead on EVH - played through my Peavey Classic Chorus 212 with Zoom 8080 floor unit.

Oh! Also decided to decorate my drill so I could have the whole "poundcake" effect:

Brendan

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice man! I have been wanting to build an *exact and very beat up* replica of the Kramer 5150 for a while now -- I just haven't gotten around to it, so it's good to see an amazing take on that guitar! I may be contacting you about how you did the neck too in a while when I start mine...

Great job!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is truely, Bad ass!
    Great work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

BRAVO!

You did a great job dude! Enjoy!!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Looks fantastic! Great job and I love the paint job. Very professional looking.

Welcome to the club! Mine is a frankie copy:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliments! The one area I want to work on is the fretboard... been playing my EBMM for ten years and the maple has got that wonderfully weathered/played look to it from all my finger oil seeping into it over time. LOVE that. So I am actually researching a bit on how to weather the fretboard and give it the used appearance I like.
    Brendan

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g60racer View Post
    Thanks for the compliments! The one area I want to work on is the fretboard... been playing my EBMM for ten years and the maple has got that wonderfully weathered/played look to it from all my finger oil seeping into it over time. LOVE that. So I am actually researching a bit on how to weather the fretboard and give it the used appearance I like.
    Hey man! Great job. I love it. You've gotta be proud. The neck is beautiful. I here what you're saying about the neck pocket. The neck has to be thinner in order to set the bridge right. My buddy bought an old Focus off of CL, and was surprised even with the Kramer neck that the Floyd floated only unless the neck was shimmed , or the pocket was rechased with a router. What paint did you end up using? The red seems perfect to me.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

AWESOME!!!

How much do you want for it??? Seriously....
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You did a great job, dude!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used basic Krylon indoor/outdoor spraypaint, their basic gloss Red, Black, and White colors. I remember reading an article years ago about the 5150 guitars in particular (and all the backup versions of the guitar like the 1984 and various other number combos) and the writer mentioned that Eddie just used basic Krylon automotive spraypaint for all of them. I was at Home Depot when I was looking at colors, and just thought I'd give the generic indoor/outdoor Krylon colors a shot, and they seemed dead on. Probably the same colors as used in the automotive paint, just with less hardener in the paint.

Not really interested in selling it, but thanks for the compliment! I was up late last night playing it, really enjoying this one.
    Brendan

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

How did you get the high gloss look? I haven't had much luck in that dept.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

great work dude, i really think "tribute" guitars are more fun than exact replica's to build, you can inject something of yourself into it (well that sounds gay!) and keep it recognisable. i built a tribute to the original b/w frankie and then a kramer i striped up but used my own colour combination (bright orange and silver)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

High gloss look was achieved by some light wetsanding (2500 grit), polishing compound and a Meguiar's Powerball, then a couple layers of automotive clear coat.
    Brendan