Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Axis and 5150III baby!!!

Ok, so I finally just went for it and drove to the BIG guitar center near me. This is one of the first ones or something and it is much bigger -- like the ones I have heard of in Cali. This place even has some sweet (but $10,000+) vintage guitars.

So I made a b-line for the axis. The only one they had was a supersport, but oh well... it still had the standard pickups and neck so I'm not gonna complain! So I took it over to the only amp that I was semi-familiar with; (they had like 5 6505 cabs, but no heads...) a peavey valveking combo. Now, I have played my normal guitars thru that amp, and never got them to sound as good as that axis did IN STORE! I couldn't believe how responsive the thing's pickups were were, and how great the neck was. Incredible quality craftsmenship too on every aspect of the guitar (something I have heard about EBMM, but never witnessed first hand, until now.)

I also grabbed a Petrucci model, and played that for a while, and that was just as great an instrument. However, I really didn't like it that much, but that is just because it doesn't fit my playing style and guitar preference.

Anyway, I couldn't find a 5150III head, so as I was leaving the store in partial disappointment, I spotted one in the "high price room" -- which is a separate room full of $10K guitars and boutique amps!! So I ran back and grabbed the axis and plugged that sucker into the 5150III!!! It was insane. The 5150III does really live up to all the hype. That is a truly fine piece of gear. The only thing that surprised me is that the 5150III has less gain, at least in the general gritty sense, than a 5150 I. I'm not complaining, because my 5150's gain knob never goes past 6.5, but I thought it was interesting that they designed it so that you have to get to around 80%-90% on the gain knob before hitting the kind of "Ed sound" that you would be approaching at around 50%-60% on the original 5150. Makes the amp a LOT more versatile, because there are a lot more areas inbetween "crappy" clean that the original 5150 is known for, and INTENSE GAIN, with a bigger gain throw. I suppose the only way it would be undesireable is if you're doing only deathmetal.

I was getting EVH tones that sounded better than EVH on the '07 tour (sorry Ed ) -- and I was doing it with NO effects. Which brings me to another point that I noticed... why does the 5150III sound great on every demo, and in the store, but not that great when Ed is playing thru it? I think I know now... get out your 07-08 tour bootlegs and listen carefully when Ed is playing his new wolfgang. The tone sounds like midrangy butt (sorry again Ed ) ... but then listen to a song when he plays an art series or his Frankie replica, and listen to how much better the tone gets. I now know that an Axis and a LP reissue (burstbuckers) sound wonderful thru the 5150III.... but does a Wolgang 2?.... hmmm...
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 09.15.08 at 09:34 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you also have to consider that most of us have only heard bootlegs, which dont always offer the most realistic representation of a given tone due to the lack of mixing and the low quality of the recording equipment. perhaps ed's tone is much better than many of us have heard.
    or it could be that the wolfgang II is a bag of poo!

but im betting its the sound quality, and the fact that he was using proto guitars.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Amps also take on different characteristics once they are mic'd up and amplified thru a PA system.

I would bet if you were standing in front of Ed's cabinets on stage, it'd sound great.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also note that Eddie most likely has lost some high end and high mid in his hearing so as he gets older he's boosting those frequencies.

I think that's why OU812 had no low end - Donn Landee mixed too loud over his career.

But you can see it happening on Balance and VHIII that the guitar tone has gotten edgier than the early albums. Just the curse of time and loud volume.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    you also have to consider that most of us have only heard bootlegs, which dont always offer the most realistic representation of a given tone due to the lack of mixing and the low quality of the recording equipment. perhaps ed's tone is much better than many of us have heard.
    or it could be that the wolfgang II is a bag of poo!

but im betting its the sound quality, and the fact that he was using proto guitars.
    Oh, I was at the 10-16-07 show... amazing show, but not so amazing guitar tone when he used the Wolfgang prototype. It got noticably better when he switched to his other guitars... and I can also hear that pretty clearly on the bootleg of that same show, and other bootlegs.

Also, I know that amps can sound totally different through a PA... I guess either someone will have to buy me front row tickets to the next tour, or we'll just have to wait and see what the 'new album' sounds like.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I own the 5150 III and I can tell you that it is one of the best sounding amps I have ever played through. The clean is shimmery and full with loads of sustain. The blue (second) channel is amazingly rich and just captures the early Plexi tones he had from VH1 and II. The red (third) channel is a monster and great for lead playing. I tend to stay on 1 and 2.

I'm not sure about Ed's tones but I sure liked how he sounded at the opening night in Charlotte.

The other two shows I saw in person (Ft. Lauderdale) were too loud for me to tell.

My boots that I have sound good to me. Plus, Ed's preferred settings in the manual show that he wants to limit the mids and highs.

The 5150 III rocks!

My gear!

Last edited by LeftyVanHalen; 09.16.08 at 01:29 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danward5150 View Post
    Also note that Eddie most likely has lost some high end and high mid in his hearing so as he gets older he's boosting those frequencies.

I think that's why OU812 had no low end - Donn Landee mixed too loud over his career.

But you can see it happening on Balance and VHIII that the guitar tone has gotten edgier than the early albums. Just the curse of time and loud volume.
    I don't doubt that at all, but I read somewhere that Ballard said the change in Ed's tone was to be more in the "Now" and less effected with the familiar 80's style processing. I also heard recently and mentioned in another thread that Ed has done a 180 on the new Wolfies pickups. He doesn't dig their sound. I think one of the other guys on this site said that there is some "creative difference stuff' happening with Ed's Fender built gear. Too bad he can't work with Blucher from Dimarzio again. He designed the EBMM (Axis) pickups. Man, they got 'em right on that guitar.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Too bad he can't work with Blucher from Dimarzio again. He designed the EBMM (Axis) pickups. Man, they got 'em right on that guitar.
    No doubt about Blucher, but as a reminder, Eddie was simply undecided between a Tone Zone, and a "Tone Zone without Dual Resonance", and Lukather told him to hurry-up and pick the one he'd been playing the most.

I just didn't want anyone to think it was built from the ground-up specifically for Eddie, or anything, heh. (I know you didn't say that)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    No doubt about Blucher, but as a reminder, Eddie was simply undecided between a Tone Zone, and a "Tone Zone without Dual Resonance", and Lukather told him to hurry-up and pick the one he'd been playing the most.

I just didn't want anyone to think it was built from the ground-up specifically for Eddie, or anything, heh. (I know you didn't say that)
    Way off topic, but that is almost exactly what George Lynch did with Duncan for his Screamin' Demon. He'd been fiddling with several different pickups and when Duncan asked for his favorite apparently George just grabbed one out of the box.