Thread: Ubuntu

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ubuntu

Thinking of installing this OS into my computer, alongside WinXP.

Pros/Cons? Recommendations? Advice?

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Last Online

02.18.11 @ 07:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi vince.

i specialize in converting companies over from windows to mostly ubuntu with other flavours thrown in.

before you buy you should know:

- before you install it on your box it is important to understand WHY free software/open source exists. free software is NOT about marketshare, sales and packaging (it doesn't mean it can't be, it just doesn't exist for that reason.)

free software is about FREEDOM. the freedom to tinker, the freedom to OWN YOUR ON COMPUTER, the freedom to control your own future

- the cost of freedom is personal responsibility. you will only get out of the experience what you put in it.

- conversely, the upside is that once you understand freedom you cannot go back. that doesn't mean you won't use windows or hate microsoft or buy an ipod, but it does mean you will forever understand that it no longer makes any difference what is popular and what is not. no one can kill it, no one can make it go away, no force can take it away from you. it does not suffer from any of the problems around tools that are solely driven by a for profit motives

- free software therefore is an expression of human creativity. it can be sold and often is, it can make money (and it does for us), but like any human endeavour what motivates us is far more complicated than profit. profit is there in the equation ultimately and it applies to this tool, but more so it is a free expression of the human problem ... it's the problem of WHY? the answer of course is, BECAUSE!

- free (as in cost)

- free (as in freedom of speech, free to modify it, you actually own it. when you buy xp you don't own it, you purchase a 'right' to use it).

- absolutely astounding amount of software in the ubuntu/debian repos and growing every year. we are up to 20 000 pieces of free and PACKAGED pieces of software to play with

- you can buy support for it

- you can get free community support

- the basic guiding principle is choice. it is overwhelming at first and most new users think 'oh if there was only one desktop or one this or that'. the problem turns out to be is that none of us are the same and none of as rational and so a reasonable number of variations exist of virtually everything to suit virtually everyone.

- pretty much everything under the sun works with it. all the drivers pretty well included so you just plug it in and go

- people who don't like ubuntu/linux fall into two groups: a) legitimate issues b) those who cannot get out of the microsoft/apple paradigm that the consumer is always right and that the consumer has no responsibility for their own actions because afterall they paid for it and they expect to be serviced to the hilt for their measly dollar.

- legitimate complaints include: it doesn't run your favourite windows or mac software, you haveto learn new things and maybe you don't have time, your job requires specific tools like video editing or games that you CANNOT live without, your favourite camera or printer doesn't work.

- the b) type people are basically whiners who come to the table expecting a mac/windows experience and are dissapointed because they didn't take the time to understand what they got for FREE to begin with.

this is the #1 problem people run into. what people don't understand at first is that manufacturers work on very slim margins and aim for the biggest bang for their development buck. that means that they develop drivers for mac and windows but rarely write drivers for linux.

this really isn't a big problem as we have most hardware drivers reverse engineered anyway so fuck them, however, it does suck when you are a joe burger flipper thinking you can just click on an .exe and install a driver for whatever garbage printer you have at home and then find out it doesn't work.

this is the part about THE COST OF PERSONAL FREEDOM IS PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY that bites people in the ass every time.

- there are some cross platform games that work. however most games are for windows. if you need that keep win around, or buy a console

- some people insist on using microsoft office. i have no idea why, i have converted so many companies to open office that its a joke at this point in time, but if you need it, its not really going to run on linux (some versions can be run via crossoveroffice from, check their list of supported software).

- some people need the adobe suite of software and other things that don't exist on linux. we usually have some rough equivalents with various degrees of complexity, completeness, etc. but some people cannot live without photoshop, even if all they fucking do is crop images.

- in the states, you guys have drm, patent law and anti-circumvention laws that don't mix well with freedom. those things are designed to limit your personal freedom and turn you into a consumer, a slave to a corporation. they are based on good intentions but are examples of good people meaning well doing harm. what that means is that some things are a sometimes workarounds here. for example, playing encrypted dvds and mp3's means you don't get that out of the box. because its illegal to provide those tools for free to american citizens (mp3 and mpeg consortiums use patent law to force all legitimate dvd software authors to pay large fees to provide support for dvds and mp3 playback) it means that you as an american will install ubuntu and haveto afterward download mp3 and dvdcss playback tools manually from a repo.

for the rest of the world its still much better, although here in canada with have a fascist govt trying to bring into law the exact same thing so i may not have it that easy for long.

the point here is just remember, sometimes because something doesn't work, it isn't because people haven't tried or it can't be done, but it's because they are prevented from implementing those features freely for outside factors.

so do your research.

recommended hardware:
    - newer hp multifunction printers, hp has a fantastic hplip project that supports ALL of the multifunction features out of the box on called hplip. it is absolutely amazing and fairly easy to install. so hp for printers, scanners, faxes.
    - for onboard video stick with intel chipsets. if you have a laptop and you have an intel chipset it will work
    - for sound there are a few sound chips supported out of the box (can't remember names), please understand that sometimes sound is a big issue for people especially on laptops as laptops are make by fuck monkeys and make no margin so linux is not on their radar.
    - for video cards, nvidia is the top dog and we have installers in the repositories to install the drivers for you, no need to go to the nvidia website.

- keep an open mind
    - do it like a 4 year old approaches legos, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FUN.
    - if you aren't having fun, fuck it and go back to windows.
    - forget everything you learned on windows, it's wrong. namely forget going to manufacturers websites and downloading drivers. this is wrong. drivers are all included, and pretty much everything is in the repositories. companies that provide linux drivers are GPL'd and are included by default in the kernel anyway. it is extremely rare to haveto go out and do something funkly like compile your own driver module, however it can be done if necessary. it's just that, all drivers are and should be free here, thus they are included.
    - and are your reference points for any issues.

personal opinion:
    - if you approach it like a 4 year old and have fun it's going to be worth it. if you don't it won't. you can't make up for the 20 years of indoctrination.
    - worst case scenario, you don't like it and go back to windows. you didn't pay for it, no loss to you, we didn't loose any money off of you to begin with so no one really cares.

Last edited by lil'devil; 09.13.08 at 02:24 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 01:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent post, lil'devil. I have installed and used various flavors of Linux and BSD. It's certainly fun, but it becomes a bit of a project. Most of the time, that's a good thing. It's like a fun project that I enjoyed putting time into and working on. However, sometimes I just need to get something done. That's when the frustration kicks in and I end up going back to using OS X. However, I think Ubuntu is probably the best supported Linux variant and will be a lot more user-friendly than something like FreeBSD (which is awesome in it's own way). I guess the question is, what are you going to do with it? If you just want to browse the web, check email, and use a word processor, then Ubuntu is probably great for you and you shouldn't encounter any major problems. If you want to do more specific and complicated tasks, Ubuntu will still likely be able to get the job done, but it may end up being more of a "project" than you had originally anticipated. It really just depends on what you want to do with it and how much time you are willing to devote to it.