Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somewhat OT, yet not: need advice (long post)

I need the advice from the members of this wonderful forum on an issue that I am having with a custom builder:

I had paid in full for a custom neck from a builder back in mid to late June. I was quoted a wait time of 5-7 weeks. I have been getting email responses since 23 July that the neck was "on it's way".

Well, last week, I got a picture of the supposed new neck. I asked for a delivery tracking number and never got it. I admit that I said in one e mail that I felt like I was being "jerked around a bit".

Fast-forward to Tuesday: I was given a tracking number. Guess what?It doesn't work. He claimed it was going out Priority Mail; yet it is Friday and no neck. He also has the body that the neck was to be used with, so it is seeming that I am out both the money for my custom neck AND the body that was to be used with it.

I paid for this neck via Paypal. What should I do?

P.S. I will not name the builder unless I get NO satisfaction; and it will only serve as a "buyer beware", not a means to smear a dude.
    Last edited by bunnyman; 09.12.08 at 01:59 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I need the advice from the members of this wonderful forum on an issue that I am having with a custom builder:

I had paid in full for a custom neck from a builder back in mid to late June. I was quoted a wait time of 5-7 weeks. I have been getting email responses since 23 July that the neck was "on it's way".

Well, last week, I got a picture of the supposed new neck. I asked for a delivery tracking number and never got it. I admit that I said in one e mail that I felt like I was being "jerked around a bit".

Fast-forward to Tuesday: I was given a tracking number. Guess what?It doesn't work. He claimed it was going out Priority Mail; yet it is Friday and no neck. He also has the body that the neck was to be used with, so it is seeming that I am out both the money for my custom neck AND the body that was to be used with it.

P.S. I will not name the builder unless I get NO satisfaction; and it will only serve as a "buyer beware", not a means to smear a dude.
    Hey B-man. That's rough. Try not to freak out just yet. Try something for me first. Make absolutely 100% sure this was shipped Priority mail. In our business, we have had several things that were claimed to have been shipped "Priority" but for some reason were shipped on one of the slower service levels. It's weird because you'd think the tracking numbers would just come up, but everything is so departmentalized these days they don't, and in some cases you're told they are wrong. (Tried shipping UPS freight these days? Sheesh!) So if you can, try to find out which levels of service might match this number. Not trying to give you false hope here , but these things do happen and I hope for your sake this is the case. Dino is an expert on dealings with Ebay type stuff, and I'm sure he's aware of any actions you can take as far as a fraud situation. Hope it works out for 'ya buddy. Stay cool!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    ...Not trying to give you false hope here , but these things do happen and I hope for your sake this is the case. Dino is an expert on dealings with Ebay type stuff, and I'm sure he's aware of any actions you can take as far as a fraud situation. Hope it works out for 'ya buddy. Stay cool!
    Another thing to point out is that well...today is Friday, so you are more or less stuck waiting until Monday. I appreciate your frustration, yet realistically, you've waited this long, a few more days will not make a difference. However, if by the end of the business day Monday you have heard nothing, do PM either Dino, Ronny or AndrewThomas, as these cats are professionals and without a doubt will be able to provide you with a course of action, or at least point you in the right direction.

Sorry to read of your situation, best of luck getting it resolved.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In my experience, the Priority Mail tracking numbers sometimes don't work until after the item was delivered.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nitefly5150 View Post
    In my experience, the Priority Mail tracking numbers sometimes don't work until after the item was delivered.
    Exactly,mine never worked neither until it is delivered,then when you track it,it says package delivered!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Simple fix-
    Consumer Affairs and the better business bureau. Trust me, it works. When you get whats coming to you, you can remove the complaint. They are online. Take a few mintues and fill out the forms. Good luck.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150jeff View Post
    Exactly,mine never worked neither until it is delivered,then when you track it,it says package delivered!
    I've had the same experience with the USPS. Their "tracking" numbers aren't like UPS or FedEx; they show that the package "entered our system," and then shows that it was delivered.

I have yet to have a custom builder quote me a timeframe that turned out to be true. Like musicians, they're almost always late. I don't think it's panic time just yet. But do push for the shipping info and details about the package (like if your body is with it).

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The worst part is the lying

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've had the same experience with the USPS. Their "tracking" numbers aren't like UPS or FedEx; they show that the package "entered our system," and then shows that it was delivered.

I have yet to have a custom builder quote me a timeframe that turned out to be true. Like musicians, they're almost always late. I don't think it's panic time just yet. But do push for the shipping info and details about the package (like if your body is with it).
    There isn't even a record of the tracking number in the system. That's what's making me think I am being lied to.

What is burning me up is that the dude has been saying it will ship at the end of the week for nearly TWO MONTHS!!! If he would just tell the truth, I may be a little less worried that I am getting screwed.

I will NEVER, EVER put all of my money up front again, and I may never use a "custom" builder ever again. So what if Gibson's quality sucks- I can take it to a truthful and speedy luthier to get it the way I want.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Sadly, I went through the exact same thing for OVER A YEAR with a "custom builder". (Probably the same guy). It was only when I posted my situation in detail on his site, and another site did he give me any notice. He fed me lies almost weekly, for a year. Even when I eventually got the parts, many of the accessories that were part of the deal, were missing. Never never again!!!
    Mistake I made was to pay in advance. I went on the "perceived" reputation of this cat, and his site. My mistake ..............................
    Good luck with your neck. If it is who I think it is, you may have a much longer wait.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Your Priority Mail tracking number is simply a delivery confirmation number. As stated above this will only work once the item has been delivered. It's a little misleading in the "tracking number" statement.

If willing, your postmaster can track the number within their office. I can't guarantee they'll do it, but if you get a good postmaster, they can help. As a custom builder and luthier, it's sometimes hard to judge delivery times etc. I'm NOT making excuseds for the builder. I personally feel it's important for me to update the buyer throughout the build/repair vs. the buyer calling for updates. I also feel if I can't make a date, I contact the buyer to update him/her on revised date.

Again, not making excuses for the builder. It sounds as if their customer service is lacking. Also give it 3-4 business days for Priority mail. I can ship PM to either coast and it usually takes 3-4 business days.

I know this isn't the answer you're wanting, but maybe it can give you some comfort. Also, here's hoping the product you ordered will exceed your expectations.

Good Luck...
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I received my stuff today and the neck looks killer. I will not name the builder even though now I am happier with him. I will remain neutral.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Good to hear you got your stuff, it sucks that all that stress had to come with it.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've been thinking we should have a replica parts/custom builder review thread--possibly as a sticky.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'd love to have a list here of builders the trusted folks around here have used and can provide feedback indeed.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've been thinking we should have a replica parts/custom builder review thread--possibly as a sticky.
    Great idea Andrew ...........................