Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Bumping into famous musicians

Hey guys. I heard two funny stories this morning. We were talking about ties to famous people, or meeting famous people. Anyway, our bike courier who comes in occasionally is a busker on weekends, and this one time he was playing downtown. He was playing eagles Tequila Sunrise, when this strange dude came up to him, and starts chatting him up.
    The guy asks him if he knows any other Eagles stuff, and he replies "a couple songs". So they stard trading licks for a bit, and our courier says "man you know alot of Eagles songs." The strange man replies "Dude....I am the Eagles! Joe Walsh.... Pleased to meet you".

Another quick one I heard Paul Rodgers tell was about this guy that was playing guitar with his girlfriend at the beach in White Rock B.C. Paul heard the guy play Feel Like Maki'n Love. So he walked over to the couple, and stood behind the log waiting for the chorus part of the song and when it came up, Paul breaks in and sings the famous "Feel Like Makin' Love" The couples a bit startled, but the guy says to Paul, Hey Man. you're pretty good!. Paul says "thanks", and the couple had no idea who he was.
    You guys got any funny ones?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

My father in law did some building work on Robert Plants house in the 70's and had no idea who he was. One day he even helped him push start his Aston Martin. He finished the job and only realised who it was when he saw him on tv years later!

Another Plant story - a group of friends were drinking in a pub when they recognised a long haired guy at the bar. No one had the guts to go over and ask if it was Robert Plant so they put Stairway on the juke box. Plant got up and walked out giving them a smile and a wink on the way past.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Eddie Money is a part time resident of Palm Coast here in Flagler. He regularly sings The Star Spangled Banner for the Homecoming game at Flagler Palm Coast High School.

I actually ran into him in, of all places, Wal-Mart. I spoke to him for a few minutes (not wanting to pester him) and then we each went our own way. We ran into each other again while we were both waiting in line to check out. See him every once in a while in there from time to time.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post

I actually ran into him in, of all places, Wal-Mart. I spoke to him for a few minutes (not wanting to pester him) and then we each went our own way. We ran into each other again while we were both waiting in line to check out. See him every once in a while in there from time to time.
    I met Eddie Money when he played here over the summer. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

I was at the Boca Raton Resort for a company meeting a couple of weeks ago. I was running late to get to a meeting an walking down the hallway. I meet a bald guy that looks pretty familiar. He was humming, and that even sounded familiar. After he went by, it clicked.. It was Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins. My buddy was right behind me. He also recognized him. He hollered "Pumpkins". Without breaking stride or turning around, Billy gave a thumbs up.

And...

The night before, after going out to dinner the group (large group, 20+) went down to the bar to hang out. Larry David was sitting at a table with a group of folks. (For those interested, he was drinking Corona). Looked and dressed exactly like he did on "Curb". Some from my group went over to say hello and got a couple of pics, but mostly he was left alone. Later in the evening he got cozy with a Asian girl that was at his table earlier. She couldn't have been more than 26-27.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 1,597 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Lots of encounters with musicians in SoCal. Off the top of my head...

David Lee Roth
    Sammy Hagar
    Mike Anthony
    Don Henley
    Andy Summers
    Ray Manzarek
    Nikki Sixx
    Ice Cube
    Xtina Aguilera

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My husband and I went into a jazz bar / dinner club in downtown St Louis to hear Andy Bey....Ike Turner was at the table next to us (ass-wipe seriously, why couldn't it have been someone I liked?) he was with a few other guys actually.... my husband said hi during a break...I stuck my nose in the air and excused myself (wife beaters don't impress me )

I met Pat Benatar in Atlanta in the Omni hotel lobby. She's short and very pretty! Very nice though...I was checking in, so was she. I looked at her and smiled and looked again - double take...she nodded. I got her autograph on a piece of paper, have no clue where it is now.
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

I can't think of any musicians that I may have bumped into.

Athletes? Lots of stories.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

I actually bumped into Benji Madden and Paris Hilton in vegas a couple of weeks ago at the Wyn...seriously.

That guy is tiny....maybe 5'5

Beyond that, Ed Roberts from Bare Naked Ladies last year...super nice fella.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts

Premium Member

Bumped into Pat Benetar and her husband Neil Gerado in a K-Mart around 1992 or so.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Back in the mid seventies my father travelled a lot with his work and was eating dinner alone in a hotel restaurant.

A group of men at the table next to him invited him to join them so he did and naturally things got round to the "what do you do?" quesions.

They said they were in a rock band. My father said he was surprised since they were dressed in dinner suits but noticed that they had long hair but that it was tied back. They said the band's name but my dad said he had never heard of them.

I only heard this story because weeks later we were watching Top of the pops on TV. I think the video was "Bohemian Rhapsody" when my dad blurted out, "Jesus, I had dinner with those guys last month".

I remember he was not impressed.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    I can't think of any musicians that I may have bumped into.

Athletes? Lots of stories.
    Same here. I could go berserk mentioning all the athletes I've met in casual situations, but musicians, not so much.

However, I did meet Dennis DeYoung at a Max & Erma's restaurant outside of Chicago (it's where he currently resides, can't remember the name of the town). It looked like him, then I heard him speak, very distinctive in person as well. Nice as can be, too. We chatted for about a half hour, I didn't want to pester him but he really wanted to talk, probably interested that a then-14 year old kid was remotely interested in who he was

That's really it. The other musicians I've met were planned events, so it doesn't really count.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:53 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

6-7 years ago, I would often see Tommy Debarge at my place of work in Baltimore. We would talk often and he would tell me about the Motown scene and the "Debarge" and "El Debarge" family bands.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

When I lived in SoCal and was gigging/involved in the music scene, I'd see them all the time.

My favorites were Mike, Ed, Sam, and Gene Simmons (even though I detest him).
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 09.11.08 at 03:20 PM. Reason: My first response was as gay as a unicorn farm.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Back when Vancouver still had the Molson Indy, Me and my Ex were in the Bay. (Department store), and in the lineup , I see a guy who looked familiar buying some t-shirts. Then it hit me....Michael Andretti! I say to the wife "hey that's Michael Andretti." She goes Phhhhtt! Right! Like he'd shop here. I said why not? He needs clothes too right? I said I'll bet you it's him, then I go to him like a jackass "Good luck at the Indy!" He turns around smiles and says "thanks!" My wifes jaw drops (huge Andretti family fan) and he says "did you wan't an autograph?" My wife asks him to sign her shirt all giddy. She never doubted me again. (At least about stuff like that!) He was a real nice guy. I still felt like a tool. I'm not an autograph junkie, but it was a cool experience to meet him.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 09.11.08 at 03:31 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leroy View Post
    My father in law did some building work on Robert Plants house in the 70's and had no idea who he was. One day he even helped him push start his Aston Martin. He finished the job and only realised who it was when he saw him on tv years later!

Another Plant story - a group of friends were drinking in a pub when they recognised a long haired guy at the bar. No one had the guts to go over and ask if it was Robert Plant so they put Stairway on the juke box. Plant got up and walked out giving them a smile and a wink on the way past.
    That is one for the ages!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel