Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Default relic-ing a Pickup

Okay...it's been like 4 months since I painted the body of my Frankie and I now want to start putting it together.

I'm tired of procrastinating!

Now I think I got fucked with the pick-up I got sold on Ebay. It's a PAF but it only has one wire coming out of it.

So it looks like I will be buying a new pick-up. However, when I buy one....does anybody have any suggestions how I can make it look old. Little bit of rust and dirt?

Any suggestions guys?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, since it is a pickup, go easy but this is how I relic metal parts:

Sand or file the polepieces on the pickup, just so they are roughed up through the chrome. You can put some random screwdriver scratches on them too -- just make sure you get through the chrome in some spots. Then soak the pickup face down in a tiny bit of vinegar. Just enough to cover the polepieces, but not enough to get into the pickup. Let that sit overnight.

Then make some salt water by heating up water on the stove and mixing in as much salt as it will dissolve. Pour a little of that in the same kind of pan the vinegar was in -- so only the polepieces will be touching the water. Let it cool in the pan so you don't melt your pickup's wax. Then take the pickup out of the vinegar and put it directly into the saltwater, facedown again. Let that sit overnight.

Then just pull the pickup out and let it air dry. Wipe it down with a little water occasionally to help the rust process.

Once it has rusted, you can scratch up the pickup plastic and make it look worn. It will look like it has been sitting around rusting for years!

The jack on this guitar was brand new when I got it... and then I did this process on it.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

That's awesome, mjr! Where did you buy the input jack mjr?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Other questions I have as well:

Since Divebomb's website is currently down, would Stew-Mac be the best place to get the rest of the things I need for my baby:

- Floyd Rose
    - Pick-up
    - Input jack
    - Tuning heads

Any suggestions???
    Last edited by MF5150; 09.11.08 at 10:39 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post

Since Divebomb's website is currently down, would Stew-Mac be the best place to get the rest of the things I need for my baby:

- Floyd Rose
    - Pick-up
    - Input jack
    - Tuning heads

Any suggestions???

The input jack was just a generic brand new strat jack that I pulled off of a cheap strat and then relic'd the crap out of.

Stew Mac is good for templates / Woods / Router supplies / specialized neck tools, etc., but not really parts like the Floyd and stuff. They seem to be overpriced. Since you are in Canada, I have no idea where you should go to get the cheapest deals -- Stew Mac might be the best bet for you.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I can tell you from experience that if you spill Coke all over a Hotrails pickup, it will turn a lovely shade of beige/brown
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default It may be a legit pickup

Okay...it's been like 4 months since I painted the body of my Frankie and I now want to start putting it together.

I'm tired of procrastinating!

Now I think I got fucked with the pick-up I got sold on Ebay. It's a PAF but it only has one wire coming out of it.

So it looks like I will be buying a new pick-up. However, when I buy one....does anybody have any suggestions how I can make it look old. Little bit of rust and dirt?

Any suggestions guys?
    If the pup wire has metal braid, the braid is your ground and the wire in the centre is your hot wire. But if this is NOT the case, the pup can be rewired for not much $$$ by a skilled luthier. A rewire is between $50 and $75, and you could have it rewired to four conductor if you like (not what is on Frankenstein).

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default where to get your stuff

- Floyd Rose
    - Pick-up
    - Input jack
    - Tuning heads

Any suggestions???
    axcessories.com has the Ping Floyd Rose, as well as great hardware for your VH clone.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    If the pup wire has metal braid, the braid is your ground and the wire in the centre is your hot wire.
    That's exactly what I thought when I first read Mitch's post. Is there a wire in the center and metal braid surrounding it? If so, the wire's your hot and the braid's your ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    axcessories.com has the Ping Floyd Rose, as well as great hardware for your VH clone.
    Axcessories.com is awesome! Very reasonable prices, cheap shipping, and cool guys.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"A rewire is between $50 and $75, and you could have it rewired to four conductor if you like (not what is on Frankenstein)."

I meant a re-wind. Re-wire doesn't cost nearly that much. If you're going to rewire it, you might as well rewind it, as well. EVH used a re-wound PAF.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I will post pictures of the pick-up tomorrow...but the wire that is coming out of it has metal braiding and a wire in the centre.

However, what do I do to the single wire in the centre? How do I connect that one wire to the multiple places on the volume pot.

I don't know the proper nomenclature for all this shit so all these questions are EXTREMELY basic. I apologize in advance!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will post pictures of the pick-up tomorrow...but the wire that is coming out of it has metal braiding and a wire in the centre.

However, what do I do to the single wire in the centre? How do I connect that one wire to the multiple places on the volume pot.

GOOD. That means your pickup is fine!

Ok, lets see... this just a single HB, single volume control guitar right? If it is, I'll be able to walk you through soldering it up with the jack and volume pot, and it should be an easy job for you -- even though you haven't done this before.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default No catastrophe!!!

I don't know the proper nomenclature for all this shit so all these questions are EXTREMELY basic. I apologize in advance!

Everything is fine, then!!! You will want some guitar wire (as the braid is soldered DIRECTLY to the pot) and possibly some shielding tape. You will be able to get thisdone in nothing flat, mate!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I really do appreciate the help guys. I'll probably start this next week. I'll post here with some pictures when I'm ready to start just so you guys see what I'm working with.

Thanks again, mjr and bunny!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

have you considered circuitboard etching fluid for relicing you hardware?
    its pretty nasty stuff but does a great job and its quick too.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    have you considered circuitboard etching fluid for relicing you hardware?
    its pretty nasty stuff but does a great job and its quick too.
    Ya, that's another way to go, but I have found that if you dip your hardware in acid, it looks like you dipped it in acid. I don't know, the salt water method just looks more natural to me I guess, but ya, it is a slower process.