F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Engine 51 from "Emergency!" is returning home

Cool story - The second Engine 51 from the TV show Emergency! was just retired from service in Yosemite, and is being reunited with Squad 51 in the LA County Fire Museum.

Fire engine that starred in 'Emergency!' heads to an L.A. museum.

By Guy Keeler / The Fresno Bee
    07/21/08 16:15:02

Yosemite's biggest TV star -- a 35-year-old fire engine that helped change the public's awareness of pre-hospital emergency medicine in the United States -- is heading back to Southern California.

Old Engine 7, which was seen by millions of viewers in the 1970s when it was Engine 51 on the TV series "Emergency!" will soon occupy a place of honor in the County of Los Angeles Fire Museum in Bellflower.

"The engine is a great piece of history," says Yosemite volunteer firefighter Gary Rosenfeld, who has ridden to calls in it for six years and appreciates its celebrity status.
    "The engine was in a TV show that brought to light the importance of paramedic programs, and we've had a huge number of fans of the show come to visit," he says. "People stop by and want to have their picture taken with the engine. We'll miss that, but it's time to bring new technology to our station and for the engine to take its place in history."

Engine 7 is being replaced by a 1991 Pierce Arrow pumper that can shoot water onto flames at 1,750 gallons per minute, nearly double the 1,000 gallon per minute capability of Engine 7. Rosenfeld says the new engine, which also will bear the number 7, was purchased from a fire department in Pennsylvania. Once it is ready to go, old number 7 will be loaded onto a truck and hauled to its new home.

"Emergency!" aired weekly on NBC from 1972 to '77 and in six two-hour specials through 1979. It debuted at a time when most lives were saved in hospitals, not at accident or heart attack scenes.

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) had been developed in 1962, but the idea that people other than doctors could use IV drugs and defibrillators in the field to save lives was in its infancy.

In 1969, the Los Angeles County Fire Department certified six firefighters who had been trained to use these sophisticated medical procedures. A year later, the state legislature passed a bill allowing paramedics to provide emergency medical treatment in the field without the presence of a nurse.

But it was the power of television that brought the value of these life-saving techniques to the attention of the general public. Jack Webb and Robert Cinader, who had worked together on the police drama "Adam-12," became interested in the Los Angeles paramedic program and "Emergency!" was born.

Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Joe Woyjeck has fond memories of the TV series. His uncle, Rocky Doke, was the eighth paramedic certified in Los Angeles County and was hired as a technical adviser by the show's producers.

"I used to go down to Universal Studios with my uncle and watch them film the show," he says. "At the time, I didn't know what I wanted to do."

Like so many others, however, Woyjeck watched "Emergency!" regularly. He says the show inspired him to become a firefighter, and he wound up being the 3,894th paramedic certified in Los Angeles County.

Woyjeck also is vice president of the County of Los Angeles Fire Museum Association, which will soon take possession of Engine 7. He says the engine will receive some minor restoration work before it goes on display, adding, "We want to make it look just like it did when it was on TV."

Although the engine's Half Dome logo and number 7 will be replaced with Los Angeles County Fire Department lettering and its old number 51, nothing will erase its 21-year record of reliable service in Yosemite.

Rosenfeld, a volunteer fire captain, has seen six years of duty with the engine. During regular working hours, he is manager of transportation for Delaware North, the Yosemite National Park concessionaire. But he and six other park employees are on call 24 hours a day as volunteer firefighters. They serve as part of Delaware North's agreement with the National Park Service to provide emergency response services to Yosemite Valley residents.

"We get 100 to 120 calls a year," Rosenfeld says. "We respond to structure fires, automobile accidents and other emergencies. The neat thing about this engine is that it's never missed a run. It's always been there for us and has never let us down."

A lot of people don't realize that Yosemite Valley is the equivalent of a small city, says park spokesman Scott Gediman.

"On any given summer night we'll have 4,000 to 5,000 people spending the night in Yosemite Valley, employees as well as visitors," he says. "We need a fire station."
    The station, operated by Delaware North, is in the heart of Yosemite Village. Fans of "Emergency!" who learn of the engine's location on Web sites devoted to the show often swing by to take a look at the engine during visits to Yosemite.

"It's been a focal point," Gediman says. "People are drawn to it."

Gediman grew up in North Hollywood, not far from Universal Studios, where "Emergency!" was filmed.

"I remember watching Gage and DeSoto every Saturday night," he says. "It was one of my favorite shows."

Johnny Gage, played by Randolph Mantooth, and Roy DeSoto, played by Kevin Tighe, were the paramedics in "Emergency!" who were based at the mythical Los Angeles County fire station that was home to engine 51.

"One of the things about the engine that is so interesting is that it was used to film a TV series before it became a working fire engine," Gediman says. "It came to Yosemite after fighting fires on TV."

The engine, a P-80 Ambassador model pumper, was built in 1973 by the Ward LaFrance Truck Co. in Elmira Heights, N.Y. After a coast-to-coast promotional tour, it went straight to work at Universal Studios, replacing the show's original Engine 51, a 1965 open-cab Crown Firecoach, which was used for the first two seasons.

After its TV days ended, the engine was assigned to a fire station at Universal Studios. Then in 1987, MCA, which at the time owned both Universal and the Yosemite Park and Curry Co., then Yosemite's concessionaire, needed to replace a 1937 Seagrave pumper at the Yosemite Village fire station.

Engine 51 was transported to Yosemite with an agreement that it would be turned over to the Los Angeles County Fire Museum at the end of its service in the park.

Even during its years as a Yosemite Village fixture, Engine 7 never completely shed its Southern California ties.

The engine still has ID labels inside dating from its Universal Studios days, says Woyjeck, who recently visited Yosemite to inspect the old pumper. And its license plate -- YCS E51 -- is a strong reminder of its original TV role. The letters stand for "Yosemite Concessions Service Engine 51."

"It's awesome to have it back," Woyjeck says. "In our mind, the museum is where it belongs."
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

One of may favorite shows when i was a kid.

I recall being at Universal Studios in 1976, when it was still mostly a studio, not a theme park.
    We got to tour "Dixie's" dressing room, or that's what they told us anyhow.
    From there it was on to the "Bigfoot" set from 6 Million Dollar Man.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 1,975 Times in 1,369 Posts

Anybody got any pic links of the truck?

Edit...thanks to google.....

http://www.emergencyfans.com/images/...engine51-c.jpg
    Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 09.09.08 at 03:22 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

The best show ever. What more could a kid ask for than a show with fire trucks?
    Orange whip?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

I loved this show. Been buying the seasons on DVD. So far they have released seasons 1-4.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

This show is why I do what I do!! That is great that this Ward LaFrance will be saved as a piece of T.V. History. Hope to get out to Calif one day and climb aboard it.

Here's a link: http://www.emergencyfans.com/things/...51yosemite.htm

http://www.geocities.com/stokerbattalion/eng5174p.html

Here's a pic of E-51.

And here's a pic of Engine 8. This is my current truck that I drive.

I'd rather drive the old truck!!!

HH<----Thanks Zeo for the news------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:25 AM
    Liked 6,850 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Default 1:58

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

One of the original Engine 51's (A 1965 Coach) was involved in a traffic accident after it was done filming the show and it was on real duty as Engine 95. It was not the main engine that was used, but it was in a few episodes. The engine was not salvagable and was scrapped. The main Coach used in the TV show before the Ward I believe is also at the LA County Fire Museum.
    Last edited by ZeoBandit; 09.09.08 at 05:46 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post

Hey...Uncle Chuck, If I ask really, really, really nice and all, can I play with the fire truck and take it for a spin??? PUUUUUHHHHWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!?!?!?!
    Last edited by RRMB; 09.09.08 at 06:53 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    This show is why I do what I do!! That is great that this Ward LaFrance will be saved as a piece of T.V. History. Hope to get out to Calif one day and climb aboard it.

Here's a link: http://www.emergencyfans.com/things/...51yosemite.htm

http://www.geocities.com/stokerbattalion/eng5174p.html

Here's a pic of E-51.

I'd rather drive the old truck!!!

HH<----Thanks Zeo for the news------------
    Right on HH!! Gottta love that Johnny Gage and Roy (?) medic program. Remember, first of thier group and then they trained more medics. Yeah, me too HH. FF/PM w/ ARFF exclusive with Sikorsky for a spell. Cool stuff. Always great to have a brother in the links. ...Timi

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    Hey...Uncle Chuck, If I ask really, really, really nice and all, can I play with the fire truck and take it for a spin??? PUUUUUHHHHWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!?!?!?!
    You betcha Pete!! You didn't have to ask! Come on by and we'll hook ya up.

HH<-----Driving Firetrucks........no ride at Six Flags can compare!!------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TopTimi View Post
    Right on HH!! Gottta love that Johnny Gage and Roy (?) medic program. Remember, first of thier group and then they trained more medics. Yeah, me too HH. FF/PM w/ ARFF exclusive with Sikorsky for a spell. Cool stuff. Always great to have a brother in the links. ...Timi
    Roy Desoto!!!

Shit Timi, I've been on this links for years and never knew you were a firefighter!! Fuckin A bro!!!

I just had my 14th year on the job in June. Fire Driver for about 6 years and about 3 years out from making Captain, (Now there's some scary shit me in charge of a crew..... ). So, you got into ARFF, eh? I sorta wanted to go that route also because we have 2 stations at Shreveport's Airport. 4 Charlie's, 1 Engine, 1 Aerial 100 ft, District Chief and the ARFF Chief.

So Tim, did you do ARFF for Sikorsky Helicopters? If so, very very cool. The copter I ride in for Life Air is the EC 135, aka the "Fast Flying Beer Can".

Like you said, great to see another firefighter in here along with the "Fire Buffs".

HH<----Everyone should own a fire engine!!!-------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Talk about a show that takes you back to being a kid, wow. No question one of my favorite shows as a youngin'. Such a great show back then. Was only a kid but definitely infatuated with Julie London.

But here's a question for you....will Kevin Tighe be remembered more for his role in Road House or for his role as Firefighter Roy? I'm of course going with Emergency but his Road House character cracks me up.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Talk about a show that takes you back to being a kid, wow. No question one of my favorite shows as a youngin'. Such a great show back then. Was only a kid but definitely infatuated with Julie London.

But here's a question for you....will Kevin Tighe be remembered more for his role in Road House or for his role as Firefighter Roy? I'm of course going with Emergency but his Road House character cracks me up.
    Yeah, he seemed like a dork in Road House. I believe he was better suited for being a T.V. Firefighther Hero!!

HH<----"Patient is in EXTREME PAIN, Rampart!!-----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I'll have to check out some of the episodes from this show. Emergency was probably the first series on TV that I watched regularly. Unfortunately, because I was only 5 or 6 years old, I can't really remember much about it.