Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

11.13.14 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default I wonder how much Ed lost

by doing the "Beat it" solo for free. Anyone in the business here? Any idea how much money Ed COULD have (SHOULD HAVE! STUPID EDDIE!) made if he had let them pay him for royalties?

Maybe it doesn't work like that? Maybe he would have just been paid a "one time" lump sum of money and zero royalties?

Man, if he were smart ( probably more like"not so nice") he should have asked for a tiny percentage of usage. I remember reading that the rest of the band (maybe just Alex) was pissed off at him for doing the solo for free.

And also, Ed basically WROTE that song from what I understand. It does have that Eddie Van Halen riff sound to it. I think Ed himself even said in an interview that he "pretty much wrote the song".

What do you all think?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.06.10 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From my understanding; he did not write any of the song. He just did 2 solos and told them to pick the best one. I read in one interview that he thought nobody in Van Halen would have known he did the solo for Jackson. Eddie is crazy for saying that because once you hear that solo; you know it's him.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla View Post
    And also, Ed basically WROTE that song from what I understand. It does have that Eddie Van Halen riff sound to it. I think Ed himself even said in an interview that he "pretty much wrote the song".
    No, Ed did not write the song. He merely asked if he could solo over a verse rather than over the "bump bump" part that Jones had initially requested. By the time Van Halen entered the picture, Steve Lukather had already finished the song's other guitar parts, so if there was any compositional credit (there wasn't, it went solely to Jackson) owed, it would be to Lukather.

The status Ed received from playing the solo surely outdid any financial gain he may have earned. Guys that would never purchase a Michael Jackson album were doing so in absurd amounts to hear Ed (several of my friends and I among them), and probably accounted for a few million dollars in sales alone. In his Grammy acceptance speech, Quincy Jones went out of his way to acknowledge Ed's contribution, more than likely because of this fact. The attention that this brought may have very possibly helped propel the sales of "1984" as well, a couple of years later.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 09.05.08 at 12:20 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How would anyone not know that would be him??? His sound and technique are so distinguished...
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed did not think the rest of Van Halen would hear it. I have to search for the magazine it was in. Maybe Ed was blitzed when he stated it or thought the song would not be as big as a hit that it was?

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

while he didn't write it, I understood that he rearranged part of the song, not just what he solo'd over.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think ChefCraig states it correctly. It's not all about money. Van Halen at that time was on top and making millions. It was more a status thing. Look at all the guitarist who recorded with MJ after Eddie (Slash, Steve Stevens, etc.).

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

i know my friend has an original copy of the vinyl album and he is not credited with it at all, i got his greatest hits and his name is everywhere in it so maybe it got reversed somehow
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

The status Ed received from playing the solo surely outdid any financial gain he may have earned. Guys that would never purchase a Michael Jackson album were doing so in absurd amounts to hear Ed (several of my friends and I among them), and probably accounted for a few million dollars in sales alone. In his Grammy acceptance speech, Quincy Jones went out of his way to acknowledge Ed's contribution, more than likely because of this fact. The attention that this brought may have very possibly helped propel the sales of "1984" as well, a couple of years later.
    you're right Chef, it's why I bought the album... EVH was on it and I wanted to be able to play that solo over and over OK and over and over..........
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVHgirl in Va View Post
    you're right Chef, it's why I bought the album... EVH was on it and I wanted to be able to play that solo over and over OK and over and over..........
    Lol...OMG EVHgirl! Ed was the one and only reason I bought "Thriller"......I remember playing that solo over and over. My mom would scream out "Can't you just let the whole song play through?" I'd say "no mama, it's Eddie!!!" LOL

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Hey, since Steve Lukather played all the rhythm parts in "Beat It" (thank you LL ), wonder if he got paid?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Plus when Quincy Jones asks you to be on anyone's album, you don't say no.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Plus when Quincy Jones asks you to be on anyone's album, you don't say no.
    Yeah, and didn't Ed call him "asshole" and hung up on him when he first called? Then Quincy sent Ed a Thank You card or something after Ed did the solo, signed "The Asshole"? Right?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Lol...OMG EVHgirl! Ed was the one and only reason I bought "Thriller"......I remember playing that solo over and over. My mom would scream out "Can't you just let the whole song play through?" I'd say "no mama, it's Eddie!!!" LOL
    What? You know your sole attraction was to listen MJ's squeeky high voice lol. "Oh mama,' watch me dance"!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Yeah, and didn't Ed call him "asshole" and hung up on him when he first called? Then Quincy sent Ed a Thank You card or something after Ed did the solo, signed "The Asshole"? Right?
    Yes, there was even a cartoon featured in the 1992 Guitar Legends magazine (which explained this story in illustration) to relate the story.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    What? You know your sole attraction was to listen MJ's squeeky high voice lol. "Oh mama,' watch me dance"!

Yes, there was even a cartoon featured in the 1992 Guitar Legends magazine (which explained this story in illustration) to relate the story.

Hey again Sum! Lol..no dude, I'm a rocker through and through....ok, you caught me, MJ's voice gets me soooo hot!!! OH Michael! SING! SING with that sexy voice!! LOL!!!

Ah, I never saw the cartoon, but I remember reading an interview about it in GW.