Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

15th Anniversary Of A Tremendous Achievement: Man Pitches No-Hitter-ONE HANDED!

Yeah, this belongs in the sports section...yet the achievement is so remarkable (as is the fellow that did it), that everyone deserves to hear about it.

Abbott now making his PITCH for people with disabilities

On Sept. 4, 1993, the baseball world was celebrating Jim Abbott's no-hitter for the New York Yankees against the Cleveland Indians.

"The things I remember most visibly about that game obviously, were the moments right after it happened,'' Abbott said in a recent telephone interview. "It was like being in a bubble, with a moment of excitement and then it pops.''

Abbott, who in his previous start just five days earlier had been rocked by the Indians, allowing seven runs on 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings, was now able to celebrate with his wife. They popped open a bottle of champagne at a restaurant on the Upper East Side of New York City, and he recalls being rushed by Yankees fans asking him to autograph early editions of newspapers displaying bold headlines about his pitching heroics.

"I guess that shows you how late we were out,'' Abbott said with a laugh.

For Abbott, who was born without a right hand, that no-hitter now 15 years ago was the crowning moment of his 10-year career in the major leagues. Mainly, it was because he could focus his attention -- and the rest of the world's -- on his powerful left arm, not on his right one. In pinstripes, no less.

"To be able to do that … wearing that uniform, in that town,'' Abbott said. "It doesn't get any better than that.''

These days, Abbott, now 40, is retired, but life is still pretty good. He plays golf, makes motivational speeches and spends time with his family in Southern California.

And he's still pitching.

Abbott recently began working as a pitchman with the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy on a campaign appropriately called PITCH (Proving Individuals with Talent Can Help), and he's using baseball as a forum to get his message out to the public.

Abbott was approached by the Department of Labor's assistant secretary Neil Romano in the spring. The PITCH campaign marks the first time Abbott has been involved with a program focusing on disabilities.

"I'm at a point now where I'm comfortable in my shoes,'' Abbott said. "It's not that I didn't know how to handle it, it's just that I really wanted my baseball playing to speak for itself. Obviously, a lot of the coverage about my playing career had to do with my right hand, but I was also pretty good with my left one.

"I never wanted to be known for what I couldn't do,'' Abbott added. "I wanted to be known for what I could do.''

Abbott said he feels fortunate that he chose a career in which his disability wasn't a liability. In sports, he said, it doesn't matter what your body looks like as long as you can still be successful on the field.

Remarkably, Abbott proved to be such a great talent in high school that the Toronto Blue Jays chose him in the 36th round of the 1985 draft after his senior year. He ended up playing at the University of Michigan instead, and in 1988 became a first-round pick (eighth overall) by the California Angels. That same year, he pitched the United States to a gold medal in the final game of the Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. Then he spent a decade in the major leagues, earning 87 victories and finishing with a career 4.25 ERA.

In the corporate world, as Abbott has discovered, it's much harder to prove to employers what people with disabilities are capable of doing. Nearly 50 million Americans have disabilities, and according to the Department of Labor, two out of every three Americans with disabilities are unemployed.

After participating in a four-hour meeting with Romano and other Labor Department staff members and learning more about the problems people with disabilities have gaining employment, Abbott became convinced that he needed to get involved.

"You hear a lot about government and not all of it is good,'' Abbott said. "But the way that they are helping people get to work … it's so cool.''

Abbott, who remains involved with Major League Baseball by working as a guest instructor with the Los Angeles Angels each spring, is hoping that his ties to baseball will help get the word out that there are employment opportunities for people with disabilities.

He made an appearance at the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa., last month. He also will commemorate the 15th anniversary of his no-hitter by being at Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles games this week and has plans in the works to travel to other major league parks.

As great as his no-hitter was, he's hoping to achieve even more success as a pitcher down the road.

"I'm very fortunate,'' Abbott said. "It's amazing the doors that opened up from that. Hopefully, we can do something great.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3569019

Jim Abbott (3:41)
    Last edited by chefcraig; 09.05.08 at 10:09 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That was a great read. I remember when that happened. An outstanding achievement to say the least.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I remember when Abbott tossed that no-no. Quite an acheivement.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

The guy plays golf with one arm, as well? hat's off to him. It was always incredible watching him play ball.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Ahh, I remember this guy. I recall watching him pitch against the Cubs back in ol' Milwaukee County Stadium, probably around '99. I also remember him when he pitched briefly for the White Sox. Man, was this guy a talent. May not have put up the greatest numbers (87-108, 4.25), but shit, I'm not sure if ANY one handed pitcher could throw with an ERA under 9

Hats off to Jim Abbot and his wonderful mark on history.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I was at Tiger Stadium that day watching the Tigers get their asses kicked, and I remember the scoreboard keeping tabs on the Yankee game and the status of Abbott's no hitter. The entire crowd at Tiger Stadium just erupted when the scoreboard showed that Abbott had completed the no-no. I remember that being a pretty cool moment.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I'm from the Genesee County area, and local television used to play a clip of Abbott in highschool, whacking a one-armed home run into the parking lot, bouncing off some GMC Safari, or whatever it was, heh.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

About the only time I felt good about a Yankee accomplishment.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Amazing athlete

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Just an amazing story. As most of you know, our baby on the way is missing it's right hand and part of the forearm. Jim Abbott is truly an inspiration to us and it shows that people that don't have an appendage can accomplish anything. Wasn't it this past Olympics a man was allowed to run in a race with a prosthetic leg??
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle