Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default So this the Gibson Les Paul Axcess

Read this in a catalog.

Yes, it really is a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose tremolo. But the brand new Gibson Les Paul Axcess is much more than a one trick pony. Responding to overwelming customer and artist demand, the Gibson Custom Shop has created a different kind of Les Paul for players who are ready to take a bold step forward. Aside from the obvious tremolo addition, this beautiful guitar features Gibson's new asymmetrical neck carve, wide at the low strings for thick tone and thinner towards the high strings so it fits perfectly in your hand and plays like a dream. The seamless contoured heel provides the smooth feel of neck-through construction and uninhibited access to the upper frets. With the slightly thinner rear-contoured body, you've got the most comfortable Les Paul ever.

And it can be yours for only $3749.99!!!

Ha, no thanks

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like. I wouldn't buy though.

Basically the only other changes I'd make would be to remove the finish from the neck and to switch around some control positions. More like the schon signature.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 09.04.08 at 09:09 PM.

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I like. I wouldn't buy though.
    I wouldn't either. It's reminds me of Alex Lifeson's custom Les Paul, which is pretty cool.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats pretty.

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$3700?????? I could pay someone to make my dream guitar for less. Craziness what these companies charge these days. Go back to 1987 and you could by a sweet Les Paul for under $1000. Good luck finding a decent one these days for under $2000 new.

How about you make a good product and charge a decent price for it. And maybe offer some better options.

I want a fender strat with two humbuckers a shaved heal (or a set-neck/neck thru body) with the option for a Floyd Rose (and a true original with brass-like the Ping model) for under $800. Shouldn't be hard but they can't make it happen. Why? Cause they don't care. They're going to tell us what we want.

Bullshit.

Most of the majors are out of touch with what anyone wants.

I've built 3 guitars for less than $1000/each that are better than any of the majors sell for $1500 mass produced. These days, they're digging their own graves. Let 'em burn - support the supply houses and your local luthier and get what you want.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Interesting... I dig the idea, the asymmetrical neck profile, and the contoured heel. See that the fretwork is actually good and slap a decent price on it and I'll buy one.

Oh, right... this is Gibson, so that'll never happen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I find it funny that I got my new Gibby SG faded, and it was $800.00, and one that is "fully finished" was $1900.00. The catalog says the non gloss finish is what saves you money. Wow....What do they do? Use Holy Water for paint and angel tears to rub it out? I don't know about Dino, and I'm sure he'd agree with me, but even painting one of my cars last spring myself, if you factored in all my labor and materials came to just over $1600. Now I'm no mathepetition...... but a car is alot bigger than a guitar,and last time I checked, flaws in a cars finish do nothing to help it sell for the price you want. It's gotta be perfect. Show me any Paul pulled straight off the rack today you would honestly call perfect. This is a cool guitar design though. First thing I thought of when I saw it was the Schon model. Gibsons will always have a place in my heart. When I hear the word guitar, I envision a pristine wine red Paul, but for an award winning finish from a production guitar company, G&L have got Gibson beat these days.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

so a floyd and an asymmetrical neck is gibsons idea of updating the les paul, not to mention an extra grand on the asking price....honestly it just shows how out of touch those guys are, if however they added a perfect finish, decent (long lasting and well fitted) frets, good quality pots and electrics and supreme customer service and after sales care then it may be worth somewhere near $500! i cant honestly see why anyone would want to pay any more for a heap of junk like a les paul, maybe once they were great guitars, now they're just an atiquated fad for guitar snobs.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    so a floyd and an asymmetrical neck is gibsons idea of updating the les paul, not to mention an extra grand on the asking price....honestly it just shows how out of touch those guys are ...
    Yeah! ...They're "out of touch" in the sense that they should have made this guitar available a long time ago!

I like it.

if however they added a perfect finish, decent (long lasting and well fitted) frets, good quality pots and electrics and supreme customer service and after sales care then it may be worth somewhere near $500!
    You may want to look at the Agile then.
    I've heard good things about these guitars, but I can't imagine them having "good quality pots and electronics" let alone "supreme customer service".

I think you also have to consider the resale value of these instruments as well.
    Guitars (like anything else) are only as "valuable" as someone is willing to pay.
    In that respect, Gibson seems to hold their own.

i cant honestly see why anyone would want to pay any more for a heap of junk like a les paul, maybe once they were great guitars, now they're just an atiquated fad for guitar snobs.
    I wouldn't say the Les Paul is a "heap of junk".
    Nor would I say owning one makes you a "guitar snob".

I paid just as much for my Wolfgang as I did my Les Paul.
    Does the fact that I own this Wolfgang make me a "guitar snob"?
    Last edited by Dino5150; 09.05.08 at 02:35 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I find it funny that I got my new Gibby SG faded, and it was $800.00, and one that is "fully finished" was $1900.00. The catalog says the non gloss finish is what saves you money. Wow....What do they do? Use Holy Water for paint and angel tears to rub it out? I don't know about Dino, and I'm sure he'd agree with me ...
    Yeah, I do agree ...

It also makes me wonder about the theory that "less paint = great tone", "let's the wood breathe", blah, blah, blah ...
    I can't say that my guitar sounds any better or any worse than one that's "fully finished". But I do find it interesting that I've never seen this topic discussed amoung "tone purists".

But that's for another thread.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Yeah, I do agree ...

It also makes me wonder about the theory that "less paint = great tone", "let's the wood breathe", blah, blah, blah ...
    I can't say that my guitar sounds any better or any worse than one that's "fully finished". But I do find it interesting that I've never seen this topic discussed amoung "tone purists".

But that's for another thread.
    Ya know, lately I have really been studying that as well. I have run some 'tone tests' just on my own guitars and I have found one thing; the guitar wood and the hardness of the finish seem to REALLY contribute to the tone of the guitar more than if it is painted or nitro'd or whatever. The thinner and harder the finish, I think the more resonance you get. It is not an exact science at all though...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.17.10 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got one of the Neal Schon Les Pauls, and it's tremendously comfortable to play, as its got with the same refined heel joint as the Axcess. I'm anxious to try one of these because it also has the body contour for up under your ribs, which for me is a great addition to an LP, just like a Floyd...

Like the first production Strats to feature humbuckers, I'm sure this'll cause an uproar among the purists, and that's okay, to each his own...so long as the Gibson forum doesn't become a flamethrower emporium because they decided to take a legend and give it a little tweak. Hopefully, the '59 Reissue faithful won't browbeat the Axcess lovers, and the "Les Paul-with-a-whammy-is-it-for-me" crowd won't toss a "you're an old fogey" dirty look at their non-trem inclined counterparts. The world's big enough for Les Pauls with stoptails and locking trems to coexist, strap button to strap button...
    www.tunecore.com/music/brandonkeirns

The most important pieces of musical gear are the ones you can't buy; your hands, your head, and your heart.

I can't "think" my way to a great riff, I can only "feel" it when I hear it...

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,339 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I will never buy another Gibson. Complete shit!!!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So that LP w/ shaved heel and Floyd that I have been working on is finally going to be a production model.

I love LP's. I adore them, except I always hated the heel on them. But the sound and look are great.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    So that LP w/ shaved heel and Floyd that I have been working on is finally going to be a production model.
    Funny, I thought the same thing. I'm building a Les Paul (ish) shaped guitar with a LP copy bolt on neck for a friend of mine. Given that it is me building it, it is going to have a Floyd on it and have a slight back contour.