09.04.08, 12:40 PM #1
- Join Date
- Last Online
06.11.16 @ 03:33 AM
- Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Lace Pickup in The Neck Position?
Anyone here ever try this?
I've got an old strat knock-off (H-S-S- rear routed) that my cousin bought used but gave up trying to play so he gave it to me. It's actually built by Guild. Gonna do the following:
1. Take all the paint of the body - sand the heal down and make some more room for playing up high. Not gonna repaint it, maybe just some oil to seal it up. Have to see what it looks like when I get the paint off.
2. Take all the gloss finish off the neck. Get it a fret dress (needs it bad).
3. Gonna re-shape the headstock to look similar to the old kramer style (pre-banana but post strat-ripoff)
3. Replace the tuners with Sperzel lockers. Gonna hold off on replacing the nut for now.
4. Not planning on whammying it up so I'll leave the stock bridge for now.
5. Replace the humbucker with a Duncan CustomTrembucker I had laying around.
6. Replace the neck pickup with either a Lace Gold or Lace Red (had extras from a Strat Plus I upgraded).
7. Replace all the pots, switches, output jack, etc.
8. I'm gonna leave the middle single empty, since I never use them. It has two pots (volume/tone). Thinking of going with only one volume and putting an on/off switch there for some stutter effects during solos.
9. I'll wire the pickup selector so it's -full hum/split hum/split hum and neck pu/neck pu-only/??? --- unless I make this as a way to have the on/off?
Gonna be a slow process - just hope to have it all done by Christmas.
So, with all of that --- thoughts on trying the red lace in the neck position? I don't use the neck pickup much more than for solos.
09.04.08, 06:58 PM #2
- Join Date
- North Central OKC
- Favorite VH Album
VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
- Favorite VH Song
- Last Online
10.23.16 @ 04:51 PM
- Liked 280 Times in 155 Posts
danward, that sounds pretty cool. Let us know how it turns out.
A Red Lace in the neck position? I say go for it! I have a Red Lace pickup in my bridge position (what it was intended for), but my buddy had a Red in the neck position (Standard Strat). He'll bust out with some fat, punchy solos that are just amazing. The only problem is that with lots of distortion it gets too "harmonic-y". I don't know how to describe it...scratch what I said.
Dude, do it or else I'll come to your house and install it myself. And you don't want me to install ANYTHING!
"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)
"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz
"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz
By Metal Marc in forum Guitar RoomReplies: 4Last Post: 08.19.08, 10:58 AM
By nast2112 in forum Guitar RoomReplies: 5Last Post: 04.28.08, 09:55 AM
By chim15 in forum Guitar RoomReplies: 10Last Post: 09.22.06, 04:06 PM
By Cazmarzak in forum Guitar RoomReplies: 2Last Post: 03.05.05, 10:29 PM