Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default WD Music Strat Replacement Necks?

Anyone here used them and have an opinion as far as how they hold up, NECK PROFILE as far as chunkiness, fret size, etc., and a reputable seller? I'm not finding any reviews out there in any other forums. I'm thinking of making a parts-o-caster with a 22 fret neck (darn that David Gilmour and the 3rd solo section in "Money"....). The only down side is that I'm probably going to have to pay someone to make & install a nut for it (not necessarily a bad thing).

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_...24288_prd1.htm

Positives:
    22 frets
    1 5/8" nut width
    Medium jumbo frets
    12" radius
    Clear SATIN finish

Negatives:
    Extra $$ to have a nut installed
    (Mounting holes not drilled)

I would consider Warmoth but I do not like any of the fret sizes they offer. Fender standard medium jumbos are approx .105 x .049. I have their 6105's on my 5150 replica neck and they are just not tall or wide enough. They won't install any fretwire except that that they sell (ie I can't ship them what I want to have it fretted with). I have seen bad reviews on Allpart necks. Musickraft necks seem over priced; I might as well buy a new parted out USA Strat neck from ebay.

Thanks
    Chris

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chris-
    did you call Warmoth and have them specifically tell you they could not do the size of fret wire you wanted?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had great luck with Mighty Mite necks. Not sure on specs at the moment...
    JC's Guitars is a GREAT dealer of them. They have an ebay store, but I think you could order direct from them on their website. (Google them)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Chris, give me a call/email before buying. I can help you out with a few things.

Scott
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Chris-
    did you call Warmoth and have them specifically tell you they could not do the size of fret wire you wanted?
    I did not call directly, but did contact them via email and they stated they would not allow me to send them the fretwire I wanted them to use.

Thanks
    Chris

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
    Anyone here used them and have an opinion as far as how they hold up, NECK PROFILE as far as chunkiness, fret size, etc., and a reputable seller? I'm not finding any reviews out there in any other forums. I'm thinking of making a parts-o-caster with a 22 fret neck (darn that David Gilmour and the 3rd solo section in "Money"....). The only down side is that I'm probably going to have to pay someone to make & install a nut for it (not necessarily a bad thing).

Positives:
    22 frets
    1 5/8" nut width
    Medium jumbo frets
    12" radius
    Clear SATIN finish

Negatives:

I would consider Warmoth but I do not like any of the fret sizes they offer. Fender standard medium jumbos are approx .105 x .049. I have their 6105's on my 5150 replica neck and they are just not tall or wide enough. They won't install any fretwire except that that they sell (ie I can't ship them what I want to have it fretted with). I have seen bad reviews on Allpart necks. Musickraft necks seem over priced; I might as well buy a new parted out USA Strat neck from ebay.

Thanks
    Chris
    Huh....That's funny. I called Warmoth about 5 months ago and asked if I could get a Strat mapleboard with Dunlop 6000, and they did'nt flinch about it. Maybe they've changed their policy, and rigidly standardised their selection choices. I know they've got less readily available body and head shapes, but you should be able to get whatever damn fret size you want. That's a new one for me. Does anyone else know of some change?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Huh....That's funny. I called Warmoth about 5 months ago and asked if I could get a Strat mapleboard with Dunlop 6000, and they did'nt flinch about it. Maybe they've changed their policy, and rigidly standardised their selection choices. I know they've got less readily available body and head shapes, but you should be able to get whatever damn fret size you want. That's a new one for me. Does anyone else know of some change?
    EVH GEAR probably just bought a patent for that size fret wire

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post

Positives:
    22 frets
    1 5/8" nut width
    Medium jumbo frets
    12" radius
    Clear SATIN finish

Negatives:

Thanks
    Chris
    Allpart used to have a good reputation in the early '90's, but quite honestly I think they just got left behind. Performance guitar is another one. They used to build beautiful banana headstocked guitar necks that rivaled Kramer/ESP.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 09.03.08 at 02:34 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've used a number of different types of necks recently. If this helps at all, here's my thoughts:

Warmoth: Excellent and one of the best. I've heard complaints about their fretwire, though. They get pricey, and with some of their more basic items you might do just as well paying less with another maker.

WD: The only company whose products I haven't tried. A couple of my tech friends swear by their necks and bodies. Supposedly they're on par with AllParts.

AllParts: I love their necks and have had no problems whatsoever. But they're kind of a "what we have is what you get" company. For example, the Strat necks I like (with a standard Fender 'C' profile and 12" radius) ONLY come with jumbo frets. I still really like them, but a medium-jumbo option would be nice. They don't do figured woods for their necks.

Musikraft: Lots of options and well made stuff. For their prices their quality should be a little better. I recently installed one of their hard rock maple necks on a Tele. At its heel there was a small wood chip repair, which I'd not been told about when I bought the neck, and there's a definite "lip" on the backside running along the walnut skunk stripe (should have been sanded better).

Mighty Mite: Much better now than their reputation of 20 or 30 years ago. I considered them a "cheap option" at first but have since been quite surprised at the stability of the necks I've used. For the same or slightly more money, though, I'd recommend going with AllParts or WD.

Installing a nut is not a big deal. You can buy a Tusq or Graphite nut for under $10 and glue it in with Elmer's. You can file it yourself or have a tech do it for not a lot. Having a custom bone nut made is pricey but well worth it--the best option for a nut, in my opinion.

Remember, too, with all necks you'll need to have a fret level done. And that of course adds to the cost.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've used a number of different types of necks recently. If this helps at all, here's my thoughts:

Warmoth: Excellent and one of the best. I've heard complaints about their fretwire, though. They get pricey, and with some of their more basic items you might do just as well paying less with another maker.

WD: The only company whose products I haven't tried. A couple of my tech friends swear by their necks and bodies. Supposedly they're on par with AllParts.

AllParts: I love their necks and have had no problems whatsoever. But they're kind of a "what we have is what you get" company. For example, the Strat necks I like (with a standard Fender 'C' profile and 12" radius) ONLY come with jumbo frets. I still really like them, but a medium-jumbo option would be nice. They don't do figured woods for their necks.

Musikraft: Lots of options and well made stuff. For their prices their quality should be a little better. I recently installed one of their hard rock maple necks on a Tele. At its heel there was a small wood chip repair, which I'd not been told about when I bought the neck, and there's a definite "lip" on the backside running along the walnut skunk stripe (should have been sanded better).

Mighty Mite: Much better now than their reputation of 20 or 30 years ago. I considered them a "cheap option" at first but have since been quite surprised at the stability of the necks I've used. For the same or slightly more money, though, I'd recommend going with AllParts or WD.

Installing a nut is not a big deal. You can buy a Tusq or Graphite nut for under $10 and glue it in with Elmer's. You can file it yourself or have a tech do it for not a lot. Having a custom bone nut made is pricey but well worth it--the best option for a nut, in my opinion.

Remember, too, with all necks you'll need to have a fret level done. And that of course adds to the cost.
    +1 That says it all Andrew. I did'nt mean any direspect to Allparts. If you want good Strat stuff, they are a good place to go. I just miss the stuff they used to have as options. Hell, even Warmoth has greatly reduced their ready to ship body and neck styles. Iv'e yet to try Mighty Mite. My buddy always used to call them "cheapie fringe". Haha. I know they are not like that now though. Are they still independent do you know, or did someone purchase them, and justg use the name?