Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Default Not like the old days.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this but, what the hell! Nothing else is going on...as usual.

I've read a bunch of reviews from this past tour and people say that Eddie plays live just like he did in the old days. Am I the only one who thinks this is a crock of shit? There's no way this guy plays like he used to. He seems like he struggles to play his own shit!

Go ahead....LET ME HAVE IT!
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish. - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72 View Post
    I'm sure I'll get slammed for this but, what the hell! Nothing else is going on...as usual.

I've read a bunch of reviews from this past tour and people say that Eddie plays live just like he did in the old days. Am I the only one who thinks this is a crock of shit? There's no way this guy plays like he used to. He seems like he struggles to play his own shit!

Hey.................you....fucker...........don't. .....you............

I got nothin'.....

"It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Hey.................you....fucker...........don't. .....you............

I got nothin'.....

Thanks
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish. - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you listen to the boots from the last leg of the tour, Edward certainly had his thing going like he did back in the day.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    If you listen to the boots from the last leg of the tour, Edward certainly had his thing going like he did back in the day.
    If you listen to the boots from the old days you'll hear that he doesn't!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you listen to the boots from the old days you'll hear that he doesn't!
    Don't have to, I was there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Lots of ways this could be taken.

Compared to the 80's and 90's, imo he's not as good. Especially the Balance and or 3 tours..........he smoked......dead on.

the 2004 tour.........no comparison at all, lets just say it wasn't his best playing. As was mentioned above the 2nd half of the 2008 tour certainly wasn't bad, imo not as good as the 90's, but not bad at all.

Really, who gives a shit, it's just music, all about having fun, and it's usually a good time when watching the Mighty VH on stage with either Sam or Dave

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

One has to remember that, even in the 80's, "The Mighty Van Halen" had several misfires while on tour. One of the two 1984 shows was simply fantastic, while the other was, shall we say, nothing to write home about. I have friends that have seen such shows as well. Ed messing his own stuff up was not as uncommon as the majority would seem to make it out to be (US Festival anybody?). Could not comment on his playing during the Sammy era, as I never saw them then.

In the end, Ed had some outstanding nights on the 07/08 tour and had some stumbles as well. But, it is not like this is an entirely new thing for EVH.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

Nobody can go home again. Old days are revered because of their bygone status, and how they are virtually impossible to duplicate.

Though I must admit, Rush gives it a admirable shot.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    One has to remember that, even in the 80's, "The Mighty Van Halen" had several misfires while on tour. One of the two 1984 shows was simply fantastic, while the other was, shall we say, nothing to write home about. I have friends that have seen such shows as well. Ed messing his own stuff up was not as uncommon as the majority would seem to make it out to be (US Festival anybody?). Could not comment on his playing during the Sammy era, as I never saw them then.

In the end, Ed had some outstanding nights on the 07/08 tour and had some stumbles as well. But, it is not like this is an entirely new thing for EVH.
    Are you trying to make the argument that some of Ed's best nights in 2008 are on par with his playing at the US Festival in '83? Holy smokes, my man, I have to strongly disagree with you here.

Even relative to dreadful 2004 tour, Ed is just a shadow of his former self. He's always taken risks live and sometimes they haven't exactly worked out, but his misses now are not because he's taking chances, he simply isn't or can't play certain parts anymore. His picking is much clumsier and his timing is wildly off at times.

Don't even get me started on how the man with the best tone in the world could produce whatever the devil is coming out of speakers now.

I have no problem with those that say that they enjoyed Ed's playing on the last tour, but to say that is anywhere close to 1983 - 1984 is absurd.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Nobody can go home again. Old days are revered because of their bygone status, and how they are virtually impossible to duplicate.

Though I must admit, Rush gives it a admirable shot.
    I'm not a big Rush fan, but I agree with that. They all just as technically proficient as they ever were, plus they have a few decades of experience under their belt.

Ed just doesn't have the chops anymore. Could he get them back? Hell if I know.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Are you trying to make the argument that some of Ed's best nights in 2008 are on par with his playing at the US Festival in '83? Holy smokes, my man, I have to strongly disagree with you here.

Even relative to dreadful 2004 tour, Ed is just a shadow of his former self. He's always taken risks live and sometimes they haven't exactly worked out, but his misses now are not because he's taking chances, he simply isn't or can't play certain parts anymore. His picking is much clumsier and his timing is wildly off at times.

Don't even get me started on how the man with the best tone in the world could produce whatever the devil is coming out of speakers now.

I have no problem with those that say that they enjoyed Ed's playing on the last tour, but to say that is anywhere close to 1983 - 1984 is absurd.
    No, no, no, no, no. What I was trying to point out was that everyone seems to paint Edward in the light that he could do no wrong in the 70's and 80's and that is far from the truth. Ed's playing at any given time in those days resembled a bar chart, one night he might bring his A game, the next night might be his C game.

What I can say with complete confidence is that what I saw in Feb of this year was above the level of the first show that I saw in '84. That show left me feeling cold. Ed was off his game big time that evening, and Dave wasn't much better. Were they out on the beach partying all day and so fucked up that they couldn't pull it together that night? Perhaps, but I can tell you that the show sucked, period. Worse show I have ever seen by VH. Thank God the night after was a superior A game show (they dried out, perhaps?), possibly the second best I have seen to the '82 show.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,348 Times in 3,189 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well I saw them 3 times this tour plus 04. I saw them in Greensboro and both Atlanta shows. Greensboro he was great, 1st Atlanta show before the postponement not as good, 2nd Atlanta show was a total 180, he cooked, best I've ever seen. And I guess the 04 show I saw was a better night than most because it wasn't too bad.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'd like to echo a post from fuddman5150 in the Led Zeppelin thread, which I believe speaks more of the reality of Van Halen "right now" and, quite honestly, is what makes me miss "the old days."

In the last ten years I never thought I'd be hearing a new Led Zeppelin album before a new Van Halen album. But evidence is starting to suggest that will be the case.

Frightening.

Last Online

09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i saw two shows on the '08 tour and two polar opposite eddie van halens. 1 was completely out of his mind and terrible,worse than '04.the other which was the msg show on the last leg which was fantastic and on par with his earlier playing.