Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default "Not Enough" (Solo) Rotary speaker Effect

I'm pretty sure Ed was using some sort of rotary speaker simulator for his studio and live versions of Not Enough, but does anyone know for sure what he used? Also, has anyone been able to reproduce the sound (like by figuring out the approximate rotation and doplar-effect timings, and plugging them into a processor like the Digitech 2120)?

I think it is a very interesting sound, especially for soloing, and so I was playing with my 2120 today trying to program in a similar effect. The speaker sim on the machine got me pretty close, but something is off - the effect is less drastic than Ed's was.

Anyway, just wondering...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ed was using some sort of rotary speaker simulator for his studio and live versions of Not Enough, but does anyone know for sure what he used? Also, has anyone been able to reproduce the sound (like by figuring out the approximate rotation and doplar-effect timings, and plugging them into a processor like the Digitech 2120)?

I think it is a very interesting sound, especially for soloing, and so I was playing with my 2120 today trying to program in a similar effect. The speaker sim on the machine got me pretty close, but something is off - the effect is less drastic than Ed's was.

Anyway, just wondering...
    hey man I dont know what he used but Im a big fan of that sound sometimes. I know a cool one is the one made by Boss the RT20 pedal. its killer! http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...ideo&skip=true

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default Leslie?

Does a company called Leslie make this effect. If so, I think that might be it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

That effect sounds Beatlesesque to me (I mean that in a good way). Thought it also sounded great on the Letterman performance of the song.

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Leslie is a speaker cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Does a company called Leslie make this effect. If so, I think that might be it.
    Leslie is where you would think first; however, a Leslie is not a pedal. Leslie is a speaker cabinet with a rotating speaker. It was originally used on a Hammond B8. An old Leslie weighs a ton!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am thinking an old Leslie weighs around 150lbs!!!

A buddy of mine had bought a Maestro rotating speaker in nearly mint condition. It was NOS from a music store that went out of business. He also bought a 30" Zildjian ride cymbal that day.

I second the Roland unit. While it isn't quite as genuine sounding as, say, a real Leslie, you won't have back problems as a result of moving the Roland pedal.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

My grandfather had--in mint condition--two versions of the Leslie that he played with his Hammond B-3. I loved the sound of that organ and those cabinets, and only when I got older did I realize how prized and valuable they were. When he died in '96 it all went to my cousin in Atlanta. He plays in a cover band; I own a recording studio. Go figure.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The Leslie did weigh a ton. It was basically a cabinet with a single speaker. The sound was projected via a motorized fan that pushed the signal around 360 degrees. The effect was similar to the odd effect you get while speaking through a table fan. They were crafted to look more like a piece of furniture than an amplifier, and were used to augment the sound of organs, (particularly the Hammond B-3) until acts like the Beatles started running their guitars and vocals through them.

A friend of mine had one, and my back still hurts from loading the damned thing into his brother's van when we'd play gigs in the seventies.

Last edited by chefcraig; 08.22.08 at 05:54 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yup! It was a real Leslie cabinet. I read somewhere back in the day that Fairbairn thought it would be a great sound for the solo. Ed also used the Leslie on Right Now. Those not familiar with a Leslie, it is a large cabinet with slots or grills for access to micing the speakers, that typically has a fixed speaker in the bottom with a 2 speed belt driven rotating baffle, and in the top, running off of the same belt drive is a rotating horn. Sometimes the baffle in the bottom and the horn in the top are synced opposing each other giving that awesome shimmering effect, and by simply syncing them together you get a real hard left/right panning effect, kinda like Hendrix's Univibes or Mike Mcready's Rotovibes on State of Love and Trust. They are heavy. The vintage ones have tube amplification, so imagine all that wood, metal shaft, turntable, speaker and horn, and then throw in the weight of say a vintage Marshall chassis (for weight comparison), and you've got around a 150 lbs. They are so cumbersome but sound so great. A keyboard player in our shop is in the process of restoring one he picked up on Craigslist last year. His was built in the 50's, and is made almost entirely of walnut. The wood has lost alot of finish, and the glue joints are a bit iffy so hes taking his time to bring it back just enough to keep it as original as possible. The guts work fine but it needs a new drive belt. They are so cool though.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The Leslie did weigh a ton. It was basically a cabinet with a single speaker. The sound was projected via a motorized fan that pushed the signal around 360 degrees. The effect was similar to the odd effect you get while speaking through a table fan. They were crafted to look more like a piece of furniture than an amplifier, and were used to augment the sound of organs, (particularly the Hammond B-3) until acts like the Beatles started running their guitars and vocals through them.

A friend of mine had one, and my back still hurts from loading the damned thing into his brother's van when we'd play gigs in the seventies.

Damn chef you beat me to the punch! I was just typing this when you posted, and was looking for pics. Haha. That's exactly what I googled. They are awesome though huh? A pawn shop I worked at as a kid had an old Hammond/ Leslie combo there. We all used to bash around on it. Sounded like Green onions from Booker T!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That ones quite cool. It's a twin motor job. The one that our painter got has the bottom speaker facing up, and a singe shaft runs the baffle (same style as one in the pic, just inverted) and the horn. This one in the pic must sound interesting. I know they made quite a few versions. In the '70/80's they also made solid state units that were fitted in stand alone organs. My aunt had one, and it had a pedal more like a sewing machine control that allowed more adjustable sound.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    ...They are awesome though huh? A pawn shop I worked at as a kid had an old Hammond/ Leslie combo there. We all used to bash around on it. Sounded like Green onions from Booker T!
    Hell, yes. They were more popular as furniture, as people would have an extra thing to place nicknacks or framed pictures on top of them in their living rooms when their bookshelves were full.

When I was growing up, everything was "console" styled, from tv sets to stereo systems. Basically every entertainment appliance came inside of a wooden box or coffin to make it more presentable in people's homes. I recall shopping for my first stereo component system (as it was called) and my mom's chagrin in asking "Where is the cabinet?"
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hell, yes. They were more popular as furniture, as people would have an extra thing to place nicknacks or framed pictures on top of them in their living rooms when their bookshelves were full.

When I was growing up, everything was "console" styled, from tv sets to stereo systems. Basically every entertainment appliance came inside of a wooden box or coffin to make it more presentable in people's homes. I recall shopping for my first stereo component system (as it was called) and my mom's chagrin in asking "Where is the cabinet?"
    Haha! Exactly right. We had a HUGE zenith TV in a HUGE cabinet for years. When it finally bit the dust, we got a "new" toshiba monitor style, and when my grandfather came over he said "wheres the cabinet?" Ive still got an old stereo locked up somewhere that is in a cabinet. Sounded great by the way. Real beefy tone.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

About the best pedal for this sound is a Dunlop Uni-Vibe.

I forget the guys name but he built a similar unit for Hendrix that was used on several songs... most notably his Woodstock Star Spangled Banner & Band of Gypsys Machine Gun. The recordings on Electric Lady Land were all done using a real Leslie.

Robin Trower used an early Uni-Vibe quite a lot too.

I have one but don't use it much unless I'm working in that zone. Best used sparingly I've found to stay out of over processed ruts.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Leslie is where you would think first; however, a Leslie is not a pedal. Leslie is a speaker cabinet with a rotating speaker. It was originally used on a Hammond B8. An old Leslie weighs a ton!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am thinking an old Leslie weighs around 150lbs!!!
    You are correct. My Dad's keyboard player used one of those in the 70's, and he always talks about how heavy the thing was.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for the responses!

One question though -- even if Ed used the real leslie in the studio, (I kinda figured that he did) then what did he use live, say like the Letterman show recording of Not Enough? You can see most of his gear there and it is really packed in, and I'm assuming he didn't lug a leslie there just for the effect -- it must be some sort of pedal or rack unit doing a rotating speaker emulation. Any ideas on that?