Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Interesting developments at Gibson

I often check the Gibson site out of curiosity as even though I am dead set against the pricing and marketing model they've chosen, I'll always love the way they play and feel. Anyway, I was looking at some of the LP models yesterday, and I'm really digging the new Studios. They're not priced like an MRI and sound great, but then I decided to check out the Standards, knowing full well the MSRP would be anywhere between $2.500 to $3.999. (That still gives me a lump in my throat thinking about it!) Anyway, turns out they have once again discontinued the Standard. (They are still producing the anual Standards still though). I asked the owner of a store I go to who has been dealing with Gibson for some time, and he got word that they really screwed themselves with their pricing. Angry dealers having to pay huge and selling them just above and sometimes below their cost. Anyone know if this is true for sure? Will the Standard make a return with a more realistic pricetag? I honestly think 2 grand is not out of the realm of a quality instrument nowadays, but pushing almost 4.000 for a mass produced guitar is way off base. The majority of musicians I know don't fill arenas or own private jets.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There have been so many changes made to the '08 Standard that it's really no longer a "Standard". According to all the specs, it looks like the "Traditional" model is now the new "Standard".

IMO, Gibson has really f'd up all of the Les Paul models with all these new changes.

And who the hell wants a "chambered" Les Paul?
    IMO, If you're too weak to hold one, you need to consider buying a different guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    There have been so many changes made to the '08 Standard that it's really no longer a "Standard". According to all the specs, it looks like the "Traditional" model is now the new "Standard".

IMO, Gibson has really f'd up all of the Les Paul models with all these new changes.

IMO, If you're too weak to hold one, you need to consider buying a different guitar.
    Here's what made me laugh. In one of the buyers guides at the beginning of the year, there was the Gibson reissue Melody Maker for somewhere around $400 bones. Well now it's been relabelled the Billie Joe Armstrong Melody Maker with an additional $500 tacked on to the price! What a revelation! These department heads have gotta go. They're gonna run an institution into the ground deep!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Here's what made me laugh. In one of the buyers guides at the beginning of the year, there was the Gibson reissue Melody Maker for somewhere around $400 bones. Well now it's been relabelled the Billie Joe Armstrong Melody Maker with an additional $500 tacked on to the price! What a revelation! These department heads have gotta go. They're gonna run an institution into the ground deep!
    Yep ... Fender's the same way.
    I've even noticed that PRS is heading in that same direction.

Just like "Signature" pickups (Angus Young, Iommi, etc..) ....
    I don't care who's pickup you put in your guitar ... you're still going to sound like you.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BTW ... if you're still interested in a Standard, check out the Standard Faded models.

I really love mine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

Yep ... Fender's the same way.
    I've even noticed that PRS is heading in that same direction.

Just like "Signature" pickups (Angus Young, Iommi, etc..) ....
    I don't care who's pickup you put in your guitar ... you're still going to sound like you.
    Outside of a slight difference of tone with my Wolfgangs and LP, I still sound like the same old shitty guitar player.

I think I need new fingers.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

I'd prefer a 'chambered' Les Paul over one that is merely 'weight relieved.' Unless you go through the custom shop I don't think there are any Pauls that aren't cut up in some way under the cap. At least with a 'chambered' body, maybe there might be some thought or purpose to the weight relief. The other bodies just have holes drilled into them.

Either that or Gibson just wants to make semi-hollow Les Pauls, yet charge you for the wood and labor. Screw Gibson...

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    I'd prefer a 'chambered' Les Paul over one that is merely 'weight relieved.' Unless you go through the custom shop I don't think there are any Pauls that aren't cut up in some way under the cap. At least with a 'chambered' body, maybe there might be some thought or purpose to the weight relief. The other bodies just have holes drilled into them.

Either that or Gibson just wants to make semi-hollow Les Pauls, yet charge you for the wood and labor. Screw Gibson...
    Gibson started drilling holes (weight relieve) in their LP's sometime in 1982.
    Here's a pretty cool pic taken as one of these guitars made it's way through airport security.

Gibson then began actually chambering the LP bodys in the later part of 2006.
    Fortunately, my LP's an '05.

I can respect that some folks like that sort of thing, but to change an entire product line that has been succussful for over half a century just makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 08.20.08 at 02:40 PM.

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What I don'tlike about Les Pauls.....

The cost of Les Pauls I find staggering. Do a like for like against MusicMan and ANY Musicman wil lcane them......just the overall quality is so good. I find Gibson, Fender and PRS almost sickening these days - to me they are everything that's wrong with our ultra 'civilised' society (feel free to interchange 'civilised' with 'lack of integrity, sell out our history make something that we know a consumer will like 'cause more goes into advertising than R&D and therefore we don't need a product that used to be so good that's it's sheer quality would sell itself when we can just manufacture a cheaper instrument that looks the same and charge more for it 'cause we've got airbrushed pictures of Joe Perry to advertise').

Who the hells idea was it to have a signature Les Paul?????!!?!?!? Isn't the Les Paul Les Pauls signature model? So how can you have a signature guitar of a signature guitar? Hmm, I think I'll get a MusicMan John Petrucci Steve Morse model - they rock......! Jeez...I feel gutted for Les Paul sometimes - surely he must wonder what the hell Gibson have done to his guitars (or maybe not).

I swear after moving to MusicMan a couple of years back - I will never touch another brand - I guess in years and years they may go the same way....but for now I love everything about these guitars....I love the fact that Stirling Ball frequents the boards all the time and actively helps folks out, I love that Luke posts there a lot etc etc....but mostly they make awesome guitars...

Rant over! ;o)
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

" Who the hells idea was it to have a signature Les Paul?????!!?!?!? Isn't the Les Paul Les Pauls signature model? So how can you have a signature guitar of a signature guitar? Hmm, I think I'll get a MusicMan John Petrucci Steve Morse model - they rock......! Jeez...I feel gutted for Les Paul sometimes - surely he must wonder what the hell Gibson have done to his guitars (or maybe not). "

I wouldn't worry too much about Les Paul- I am certain he's making a few cents off of every Les Paul (even the ones that bear other peoples' siginatures on them) shipped.

I dunno- I would be chuffed if someone would like my guitar design so much that they used it as their own signature model.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Here's what made me laugh. In one of the buyers guides at the beginning of the year, there was the Gibson reissue Melody Maker for somewhere around $400 bones. Well now it's been relabelled the Billie Joe Armstrong Melody Maker with an additional $500 tacked on to the price! What a revelation! These department heads have gotta go. They're gonna run an institution into the ground deep!"

There's the Joan Jett model with two humbucks for about $700.

I made the bunnyman signature model with one EMG, a volume knob, a butchered pick guard, and soon a Kahler tremelo. I will paint it a variation of the EVH stripes (not quite ANY of the copywrited designs, heh heh). I plan on selling it for $10K...

You may now laugh...

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    The cost of Les Pauls I find staggering. Do a like for like against MusicMan and ANY Musicman wil lcane them......just the overall quality is so good. I find Gibson, Fender and PRS almost sickening these days - to me they are everything that's wrong with our ultra 'civilised' society (feel free to interchange 'civilised' with 'lack of integrity, sell out our history make something that we know a consumer will like 'cause more goes into advertising than R&D and therefore we don't need a product that used to be so good that's it's sheer quality would sell itself when we can just manufacture a cheaper instrument that looks the same and charge more for it 'cause we've got airbrushed pictures of Joe Perry to advertise').

Who the hells idea was it to have a signature Les Paul?????!!?!?!? Isn't the Les Paul Les Pauls signature model? So how can you have a signature guitar of a signature guitar? Hmm, I think I'll get a MusicMan John Petrucci Steve Morse model - they rock......! Jeez...I feel gutted for Les Paul sometimes - surely he must wonder what the hell Gibson have done to his guitars (or maybe not).

I swear after moving to MusicMan a couple of years back - I will never touch another brand - I guess in years and years they may go the same way....but for now I love everything about these guitars....I love the fact that Stirling Ball frequents the boards all the time and actively helps folks out, I love that Luke posts there a lot etc etc....but mostly they make awesome guitars...

Rant over! ;o)
    I'm a little confused about what this rant is all about.
    I'm not thrilled with the direction Gibson is going with their Les Paul models, but Gibson, PRS, Ernie Ball ... all make really nice guitars IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I'm a little confused about what this rant is all about.
    I'm not thrilled with the direction Gibson is going with their Les Paul models, but Gibson, PRS, Ernie Ball ... all make really nice guitars IMO."

A few Gibbies I have picked up looked and felt like they were built on the Friday before a three day weekend. I have had to get four out of the five last Gibsons refretted (partially due to my preference for larger frets, I will add), and a LP Custom I had never did play right, partially due to the retailer not taking the time to set it up properly.

Also- long, nasty mineral streaks should NEVER be on a translucent or natural finished guitar; yet Gibson has a tendency to let things like that out of the door.

A good friend of mine used to be a Gibson dealer, and his main beef was that: a) half of the guitars played poorly out of the box, and b) Gibson has been trying to squeeze the smaller retailers.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post

Rant over! ;o)
    I was a tech at Music man for about a year and let me tell you there are alot of things they do that are questionable with guitars. I have see the good ones go out but I have also seen the really bad ones go out.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    A few Gibbies I have picked up looked and felt like they were built on the Friday before a three day weekend. I have had to get four out of the five last Gibsons refretted (partially due to my preference for larger frets, I will add), and a LP Custom I had never did play right, partially due to the retailer not taking the time to set it up properly.
    1) I wouldn't buy a guitar that "didn't play right", let alone five of them.
    2) Setups can be a personal preference and it's not all that unusual to have a brand new guitar set up to your liking.