Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Applegate calls double mastectomy a `tough' choice

Christina Applegate is taking the long view of her battle with breast cancer -- the really long view.

Speaking on ABC News' "Good Morning America" in her first interview since announcing her diagnosis earlier this month, the "Samantha Who?" star said she had a double mastectomy three weeks ago. She'll undergo reconstructive surgery over the next eight months.

"I'm going to have cute boobs 'til I'm 90, so there's that," she joked in the interview, which aired Tuesday. "I'll have the best boobs in the nursing home. I'll be the envy of all the ladies around the bridge table."

The 36-year-old actress elected to remove both breasts even though the disease was contained in one breast. She said she is now cancer-free.

Applegate called the operation a logical decision. Her mother battled breast cancer, and she tested positive for the BRCA1 gene mutation linked to breast and ovarian cancer.

"I just wanted to kind of be rid of it," she said. "So this was the choice I made and it was a tough one."

The experience has been an emotional roller coaster, she said.

"Sometimes, you know, I cry and sometimes I scream and I get really angry and I get really like, you know, into wallowing in self-pity sometimes," she said. "And I think that's -- it's all part of healing, and anyone who's going through it out there, it's OK to cry. It's OK to fall on the ground and just scream if you want to."

The Emmy-nominated "Samantha Who?" star has kept her sense of humor intact.

"I've laughed so much in the last three weeks," she said. "I love living, and I really love my life, and I knew that from this moment on it was only going to be good that was going to be coming. Yeah, I'll face challenges, but you can't get any darker than where I've been. So knowing that in my soul gave me the strength to just say, `I have to get out there and make this a positive.'"

Applegate's cancer was detected early through a doctor-ordered MRI. She said she's starting a program to help women at high risk for breast cancer to meet the costs of an MRI, which is not always covered by insurance.

Applegate is scheduled to appear on a one-hour TV special, "Stand Up to Cancer," to be aired on ABC, CBS and NBC on Sept. 5 to raise funds for cancer research.

She has been nominated for an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the ABC show "Samantha Who?", in which she plays a woman who wakes from a coma with no memory of who she is.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cancer sucks! anytime you have it and survive it you still lose something .

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can only imagine what this does to a woman's psyche. I feel terrible for her... Two of my aunts had mastectomies and they were depressed as hell there for a while....
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    I can only imagine what this does to a woman's psyche. I feel terrible for her.
    My thoughts exactly. A mastectomy can do terrible things to a woman's self-concept and self-image.

I was talking about this with someone today. He said that would be like having his nuts cut off. Bullshit, I said. There is no male equivalent to a woman's double mastectomy. I just about chased that guy out of my office for such a comment.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    My thoughts exactly. A mastectomy can do terrible things to a woman's self-concept and self-image.

I was talking about this with someone today. He said that would be like having his nuts cut off. Bullshit, I said. There is no male equivalent to a woman's double mastectomy. I just about chased that guy out of my office for such a comment.
    So if a guy happened to lose both of his testicles to cancer, it wouldn't be as hard on him as a woman losing her breasts? I have to disagree with that on every level.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    So if a guy happened to lose both of his testicles to cancer, it wouldn't be as hard on him as a woman losing her breasts? I have to disagree with that on every level.
    Why? Who gets to see your junk other than you and your wife?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    He couldn't wear his Balls Out Jeans anymore...

Last edited by VegasVic; 08.19.08 at 02:52 PM.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's not about what people see. A woman can have implants put in, and she'll turn more heads than she did before. It's about how a person defines themselves.

To say that the two aren't comparable is to lack an understanding of how either affects a person.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Hey, Vike. Let me explain it this way: for most men, breasts are intrinsically linked with sex, and whether that's right or wrong for us to think that way is not the argument; I think that's men's nature. Women basically know that most men think that way, and we see the effects of this everywhere we look, from magazine covers to TV to the big screen. Let's not forget about things like the Wonderbra and breast enhancement/augmentation. Unfortunately, breast size is a big deal and weighs quite a bit on a women's minds. Women who have mastectomies - one or more breasts removed in their entirety - tend to feel unattractive resulting in a loss of libido and shame about what they lost. They usually fall into this mental trap that they are less than a woman. The results of this is depression and a low self-image.

Men, on the other hand, don't have something as unique as women's breasts. I don't believe - and refuse to believe - that women think the same way about testicles that men think about breasts. Comparing the two is like apples and pomegranates. Women look for different things in a man.

I have a good friend and an acquaintance who have both their testicles to cancer (both were 32 at the time). Sure, they had a hard time with it, but it did not affect them the same way that it affected women I know who have had mastectomies. One of them got prosthetic testes. The other didn't even care, and neither does his wife.

I'm no doctor, psychologist, etc, but I don't think I'm out of line or wrong with my initial comment that there is no male equivalent to a mastectomy.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    It's not about what people see. A woman can have implants put in, and she'll turn more heads than she did before. It's about how a person defines themselves.

To say that the two aren't comparable is to lack an understanding of how either affects a person.
    Oh please. No other parts of a female's anatomy are as important to her own self image and perceived sex appeal than her breasts. Any man who contends losing a wrinkly sack of gonads is comparable needs to get over himself.

Traumatic, for sure, and for more than one reason. But it isn't the same.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I'm with you and Metal Marc. I see very little connection between the two. A woman's breasts play a much more important part in their confidence, image, sexuality, etc than a man's testacles do to him.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Ummm....wouldn't a man's castration completely eliminate any any sex drive at all? I don't know what the psychological effects are of this, but I can't imagine that when a guy gets castrated, everything is just hunky dory. You can't reverse it, either. Applegate, however, is getting fake breasts that, as she says, will look great longer than her natural breasts would have.

Couldn't there be a situation where a woman loses her breasts, then gets fake breasts and will eventually be fine about it with less residual, emotional effects yet some men may go into a depression regarding no sex drive whatsoever?

I think the emotional effects and physical effects would affect someone differently, yet, quite possibly comparatively.

Maybe I am missing something here, though...
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 08.19.08 at 03:50 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Its very sad. I hope she has a quick recovery, mentally, spiritually and physically.

Breasts or no breasts, Christina Applegate is a very attractive woman.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Oh please. No other parts of a female's anatomy are as important to her own self image and perceived sex appeal than her breasts. Any man who contends losing a wrinkly sack of gonads is comparable needs to get over himself.

Traumatic, for sure, and for more than one reason. But it isn't the same.
    Known a guy who's lost his balls? I have. He lost one when he was 14.

It's incredibly shallow to be so dismissive. The body chemistry changes. Hormones aren't the same. The ability to father children and fulfill one's biological role is gone.

To say that a woman's breasts are more important to her than a man's testicles are to him is ridiculous. I'm not a woman, I can't judge that. You're not a woman, and neither can you. All I know is that they're both psychologically important parts of the body. Any human being losing such a part is going to have some ugly things to deal with. Why some of you have are unable to acknowledge that, I don't know.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Known a guy who's lost his balls? I have. He lost one when he was 14.

It's incredibly shallow to be so dismissive. The body chemistry changes. Hormones aren't the same. The ability to father children and fulfill one's biological role is gone.

To say that a woman's breasts are more important to her than a man's testicles are to him is ridiculous. I'm not a woman, I can't judge that. You're not a woman, and neither can you. All I know is that they're both psychologically important parts of the body. Any human being losing such a part is going to have some ugly things to deal with. Why some of you have are unable to acknowledge that, I don't know.
    Well said! For anyone to think that a guy losing his gonads is easier to deal with because "no one see's them" is retarded. This board never ceases to amaze does it?