Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Breakthroughs For Fuel Efficiency Starting To Pop Up.

Using heat from the tailpipe to produce electricity:

GM researcher Jihui Yang said a metal-plated device that surrounds an exhaust pipe could increase fuel economy in a Chevrolet Suburban by about 5 percent, a 1-mile-per-gallon improvement that would be even greater in a smaller vehicle.

Reaching the goal of a 10 percent improvement would save more than 100 million gallons of fuel per year in GM vehicles in the U.S. alone.

"The take-home message here is: It's a big deal," Yang said.

The DOE, which is partially funding the auto industry research, helped develop a thermoelectric generator for a heavy duty diesel truck and tested it for the equivalent of 550,000 miles about 12 years ago.

John Fairbanks, the department's thermoelectrics technology development manager, said the success of that generator justified the competitive search in 2004 for a device that could augment or replace a vehicle's alternator. Three teams were selected to participate in the program, with GM and thermoelectrics manufacturer BSST separately working on cars and a team from Michigan State University focusing on heavy-duty trucks.

Fairbanks said thermoelectric generators should be on the verge of production in about three years.

"It's probably the biggest impact in the shortest time that I can think of," he said.
    Figures that it's something GM has been sitting on for a few years . Still, it's a step in the right direction.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

06.09.16 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Using heat from the tailpipe to produce electricity:

Figures that it's something GM has been sitting on for a few years . Still, it's a step in the right direction.
    I think they've all been sitting on stuff for years.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Balance, VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough, DTNA, Unchained
    Last Online

03.01.09 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure they all have, oil companies just buy the patents before they can make it to the public

Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

my only wonder is, what is this new technology going to cost the consumer?

in my mind theres still no better way of keeping fuel costs down than regular maintainance...oil, water tyres filters etc.
    good servicing will and always has been the best way to save money on fuel and breakdowns.

on a imilar note, i had a supercharger fitted to my car a couple of years back and noticed the fuel economy IMPROVED slightly! i was expecting to take a big kick to the wallet but was pleasantly suprised.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!