1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

8-Year-Old Guitar Wiz Has Reason to Play the Blues

This is just outrageous. Although I'm not sure most bars are a good place for this kid to perform, It's still ridiculous that here are folks trying to get this kid to stop all together...

But it IS awesome that some pretty big names are rallying to his defense:

8-Year-Old Guitar Wiz Has Reason to Play the Blues

By CARRIE ANTLFINGER, Associated Press Writer
    Tue Aug 12, 10:51 AM ET

ELKHORN, Wis. - When Tallan "T-Man" Latz was 5, he saw Joe Satriani playing guitar on TV. "I turned around to my dad and said, 'That's exactly what I want to do.'"

Three years and countless hours of practicing later, 8-year-old Tallan is a blues guitar prodigy. He's played in bars and clubs, including the House of Blues in Chicago, and even jammed with Les Paul and Jackson Browne. He has a summer of festivals scheduled and has drawn interest from venues worldwide.

And what, you might ask, would a kid not even in the third grade have the blues about? The state of Wisconsin for one, and some possibly jealous older musicians for another.

An anonymous e-mail sent to state officials complained that Tallan was too young to perform in taverns and nightclubs because of state child labor laws. His booking agent even got an anonymous letter threatening her with death if she keeps booking him.

When Tallan's father read him the state's letter saying he couldn't play clubs anymore (he can still play festivals), the boy's response — like his music — seemed beyond his years.

"He goes, 'It's not how many times you get knocked down but it's how many times you get back up and go forward,' Carl Latz said his son told him. "And I told him that's exactly what this is all about and if nothing else this letter just taught you a life lesson."

The lesson can be stiff: Each day he performs, the employer can be fined $25 to $1,000 and the parent from $10 to $250.

Jennifer Ortiz of the state Equal Rights Division said her agency has a responsibility to enforce the law once it becomes aware of a violation.

"Well, the law prohibits it, and the Legislature enacted the laws to protect the health, safety and welfare of all children."

Latz, who also is Tallan's manager, has asked a legislator for help changing the law but it's unclear whether any action will be taken.

Latz received the letter a few days before Tallan was to perform at Lil Downtown Lounge in suburban Milwaukee, where club co-owner Michelle Boche said the boy always packed the place when he sat in with other musicians.

Latz claims that two weeks before getting the letter he overheard local blues guitarist Jammin' Jimmy, whose real name is James Kemeny, say Tallan shouldn't be in a bar and he was going to turn him in.

Kemeny, who's been playing for 44 years, denied badmouthing Tallan.

"It seems totally unbelievable that somebody would even go to that extreme to send a letter to somebody, let alone looking to find something about child labor laws," Kemeny said.

Boche said she has received backlash from musicians and area bar owners because she supports Tallan. Some have tried to take patrons away, she said. Some even called in fake incidents to police, causing them to look for guns or underage drinkers, she said.

"If my doors close and I never open again and this boy becomes successful, then I will be the happiest person in the world," she said.

Tallan's agent, Sharon Pomaville, said she received a threatening letter June 2 warning her to stop booking the boy. She thinks he's a local musician and believes he's harmless. Deputies came to her house, but she didn't want to pursue the case.

Greg Koch, 42, an internationally known guitarist and clinician for Fender Musical Instruments, called the backlash despicable.

He said most 8-year-olds don't have the strength or attention span to pursue guitar or can't endure the calluses.

"It's strange that a kid at this age would glean onto this particular kind of music and show the intensity and kind of the ability to function as kind of 8-year-old blues guy," he said.

Brad Tolinski, editor-in-chief of Guitar World magazine, said kid guitar prodigies are rare, with one emerging perhaps every four or five years.

"It would be unusual to find an 8-year-old who can play Joe Satriani licks," he said.

Carl Latz said there's no explanation for Tallan's blues connection other than he seems to have an old soul.

"I've had more people tell me, they say 'It's a kid's body but it has a 70-year-old dude inside,'" Carl Latz said.

Tallan, whose heroes are Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, has 13 guitars and endorsements from at least nine companies to use their equipment. He can read music but plays mostly from memory.

He has two bands — one with veterans called T-Man's Blues Project and another with 16-and-younger bandmates called Tallan "The T-Man" Latz and the Young Guns. He also sings and plays drums, harmonica, bass and piano.

Tallan said he likes to play guitar to "put smiles on people's faces" when they are having a bad day.

"It sounds awesome," he said. "I think it's so much you can do on the guitar."

He knows 30 to 40 songs and someday hopes to write his own. It was his idea to start playing in public.

"He drags me around," his dad said. "I don't drag him around."

Tallan said the problems he's faced have doing nothing to dampen his ambition to be a blues rock star when he grows up. Just the opposite, in fact.

"Because I got more inspiration, I got more sadness in me," Tallan said. "I'm just feelin' it."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/...n_mu/blues_kid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure I'm all for an 8-year-old playing bars either. What I do know is that a lifetime ago the Jackson Five got its start by playing Chicago bars. Don't quote me, cause it's been many years since I read Michael's biography, but I think they got around the child labor laws by having the owners not serve drinks while they were performing. After the shows they were wisked out of the clubs.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Sounds to me like an 8-year old is making some adults look bad. Sound like a jealousy thing in the end.

In the summers, or on weekends when I'd spend the night, when I was Tallans age, I'd go in to taverns with my uncle or grandfather, sit at the bar and have a Coke, while they fixed jukeboxes, pinballs or whatever the tavern needed worked on. They never drank on the job and when they were done. We were gone. Of course, this is back in the 70's when common sense prevailed; and if there was a kid in a bar, people wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the child was being served, perverted by adults or morally destroyed.

Most states have laws in place that protect the child while working. Most states have a 10pm law for working kids. I also am pretty sure that Illinois and Iowa have laws that state a child can be in a bar with a NON-drinking adult, with the cavaete that they also have to be out by 10pm. As long as his mom & dad are being responsible adults, I don't see the harm.

Some day, MAYBE, adults will grow up and stop taking life so seriously and let kids achieve their dreams and have fun again.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    ...Some day, MAYBE, adults will grow up and stop taking life so seriously and let kids achieve their dreams and have fun again.
    Yet the two things are not mutually exclusive. Keeping a child out of a seedy, smoke-filled biker bar is not only looking after the child's best interest, it's called responsible parenting.

Yeah, yeah, child prodigy, blah blah blah. Send the kid to a school in order to develop his talents, rather than exploiting them. And please, asking a state legislator to change laws to benefit your kid at the potential expense of others is not only selfish, it's stupid and just plain wrong.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yet the two things are not mutually exclusive. Keeping a child out of a seedy, smoke-filled biker bar is not only looking after the child's best interest, it's called responsible parenting.

Yeah, yeah, child prodigy, blah blah blah. Send the kid to a school in order to develop his talents, rather than exploiting them. And please, asking a state legislator to change laws to benefit your kid at the potential expense of others is not only selfish, it's stupid and just plain wrong.

I see your point Craig. I guess, even though I'm in no way a guitar prodigy, I turned out okay.

Hell I was in bars before some adults even thought of entering one.

But I get where you're coming from.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Eruption
    Last Online

01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Well Chef, I see your point your making which is a very viable one at that but isn't child labor laws more about manual labor type of work than entertainment?? If this kid or Quin Sullivan, another child guitar prodigy, can play why not let them do it if the child is not endangering themselves? Make it smoke free concert or alcohol free, then the kids can rock on it they feel like it.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Forget the debate, take a look at this kid. He frickin' rips! Tons of heart, too!

Here he is playing (and singing!) "Couldn't Stand the Weather" by SRV. Might I add, he isn't using any effects, just a tele plugged right into a Laney.

When he turns 15, he's gonna get plucked out on stage to play with Sam.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

to be honest, after hearing all the hype, I expected the kid to be some kind of freaking second-coming or something...i was let down...I'm sorta with Chef, send the kid to juliard or something to develop his talent, he has a freaking navy-full of potential. I don't get the whole turn-your-kid-into-a-circus-sideshow thing. At the same time, a kid in a bar is not inherently horrible...depends on the circumstance, however, parading your kid around so you can show off and show up a bunch of scrub musicians, I'm guess is as close to inherently wrong as you can get. Instead of turning his kid into the yahoo newstory, youtube video of the moment, they should be cultivating his talent, exposing him to gobs and gobs of music and doing the sort of things that all kids need, lessons in humility and personal growth, decision making etc etc...we'll probably never hear of him again...except in some sort of "where are they now" internet viral video crapola count downs...but damn straight, for an eight year old, or for any age kid, he definitely is way ahead of the curve when it comes to playing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and here's another youtube video: