Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default The AT Custom Walnut Flame Jazz Bass!

    As promised I am moving right along on guitar projects. This week I completed another one, but it stands out from the others for one obvious reason: it's a bass!

    I am truly a hack bass player. I find my way around the instrument for studio recordings and very (very) seldom gigs. But I've never owned a bass I would consider extremely playable like some of my favorite guitars, and since the comfort and playability factors have been so great with my custom guitar projects thus far I opted to see if I could do the same with a bass. Though I've only had a few days with it, all evidence seems to indicate a success in that respect.

    Like the guitar I completed just a couple of weeks ago, the natural flame Tele, I did virtually all of the work on this project. My trusted tech friend Ted Vig made and installed the bone nut, but it was otherwise all me--routing, drilling, wiring, and soldering. This proved to be no small task, as I drilled, from scratch, a unique five-bolt pattern for mounting the neck with ferrules (in lieu of a neck plate). I also had to accurately measure and drill for a string-thru bridge and string ferrules on the back side of the body. The easy compromise would have been to simply install a top-mount bridge, but I've found I genuinely prefer the resonance associated with string-thru instruments.

    Pictures of this bass guitar in progress, along with my other guitar projects, can be found in the photos section of my MySpace page: www.myspace.com/andrewthomassolomusic.

    The parts list and photos are below!

    A&D Solid Alder/Flamed Maple Top Body--Tru-Oil/Wax Finish, Walnut Stain
    AllParts JRO Maple/Rosewood Neck--1 1/2" Bone Nut, C-Shape Profile, 10" Radius, Jumbo Frets, White Top & Side Inlays, Tru-Oil/Wax Finish
    GFS JB Pro Jazz Bass Single Coil Bridge & Neck Pickups
    Chrome String-Thru Bridge
    250K Volume & Tone Potentiometers w/ Black Knobs
    Switchcraft Jack w/ Chrome Jack Plate
    Wilkinson Chrome Tuners
    Nickel String Ferrules
    Chrome String Tree
    Chrome Neck Bolt Ferrules
    Chrome Strap Buttons










  2. #2
    Atomic Punk fast98dodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Age
    43
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,212
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Last Online

    08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Likes
    331
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Damn, another good one...

    All of y'all doin' your own guitars and basses makes me really admire your craft and hard work!!!

    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

  3. #3
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    10.22.07
    Posts
    214
    Last Online

    12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Fuck yes, that is a rockin bass!

  4. #4
    Sinner's Swing! Darkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,784
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Too Many!
    Last Online

    12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I want that bass!!!!!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

    My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

    I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

    I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

  5. #5
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    tasty.

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Daaaayuuuuum
    That looks sweet!

  7. #7
    Banned! The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.22.08
    Location
    The Bowling Alley
    Posts
    263
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

    Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

    11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Daaaayuuuuum
    That looks sweet!

    I'll second that.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Beautiful. I just got the wood for my stain-tru-oil guitar, so I will most likely be asking more questions about that process soon

    Looking at this makes me think tru-oil is a GREAT idea!

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Fuck yes, that is a rockin bass!
    It's actually a jazzin' bass.

    (Bad joke.)

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Beautiful. I just got the wood for my stain-tru-oil guitar, so I will most likely be asking more questions about that process soon

    Looking at this makes me think tru-oil is a GREAT idea!
    I've really found I like the simplicity of the Tru-Oil approach. It's REALLY easy to apply and usually looks really good--kind of like an organic satin finish.

    Ask away when you're diving into the process. It won't take long to get used to the staining and Tru-Oil applications.

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I'm knockin' 'em out lately! This one is almost done; it's an alder/walnut top Strat with an AllParts maple neck and an LR Baggs piezo X-Bridge. Last week I opted to go with all black hardware instead of chrome (originally I couldn't get the Baggs bridge in black--only chrome), but the chrome just flashed it up too much. So I'm waiting for some black single coil pickup rings and black jack plates to come in. I've been WAY excited to hear how this one sounds and have the separate output options (regular/piezo) to blend live and in the studio. It's somewhat modeled after the Godin guitars with similar pickup configurations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walnut_Strat_10.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	991  
    Last edited by AT; 08.21.08 at 01:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    As promised I am moving right along on guitar projects. This week I completed another one, but it stands out from the others for one obvious reason: it's a bass!

    I am truly a hack bass player. I find my way around the instrument for studio recordings and very (very) seldom gigs. But I've never owned a bass I would consider extremely playable like some of my favorite guitars, and since the comfort and playability factors have been so great with my custom guitar projects thus far I opted to see if I could do the same with a bass. Though I've only had a few days with it, all evidence seems to indicate a success in that respect.

    Like the guitar I completed just a couple of weeks ago, the natural flame Tele, I did virtually all of the work on this project. My trusted tech friend Ted Vig made and installed the bone nut, but it was otherwise all me--routing, drilling, wiring, and soldering. This proved to be no small task, as I drilled, from scratch, a unique five-bolt pattern for mounting the neck with ferrules (in lieu of a neck plate). I also had to accurately measure and drill for a string-thru bridge and string ferrules on the back side of the body. The easy compromise would have been to simply install a top-mount bridge, but I've found I genuinely prefer the resonance associated with string-thru instruments.

    Pictures of this bass guitar in progress, along with my other guitar projects, can be found in the photos section of my MySpace page: www.myspace.com/andrewthomassolomusic.

    The parts list and photos are below!

    A&D Solid Alder/Flamed Maple Top Body--Tru-Oil/Wax Finish, Walnut Stain
    AllParts JRO Maple/Rosewood Neck--1 1/2" Bone Nut, C-Shape Profile, 10" Radius, Jumbo Frets, White Top & Side Inlays, Tru-Oil/Wax Finish
    GFS JB Pro Jazz Bass Single Coil Bridge & Neck Pickups
    Chrome String-Thru Bridge
    250K Volume & Tone Potentiometers w/ Black Knobs
    Switchcraft Jack w/ Chrome Jack Plate
    Wilkinson Chrome Tuners
    Nickel String Ferrules
    Chrome String Tree
    Chrome Neck Bolt Ferrules
    Chrome Strap Buttons









    Andrew! Great job. The top is gorgeous. Love the five bolt neck joint too. Really helps with the stability. I really curse my 4 bolt 'cause it is a real open pocket, and i tend to get a bit of shifting. Real annoying.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Andrew! Great job. The top is gorgeous. Love the five bolt neck joint too. Really helps with the stability. I really curse my 4 bolt 'cause it is a real open pocket, and i tend to get a bit of shifting. Real annoying.
    Yeah, I'm SO not a bass player that just before I started assembling this one I had to ask the gang at the music store if the neck plate on a bass was the same size as on a guitar. When they said 'yes' I was genuinely dumbfounded; it didn't make sense to me that an area THAT big would use only four bolts in the same configuration as a guitar--which just seemed too small for a bass. And, yeah, stabilty was my main concern. I'd seen the five bolt pattern on Lakland and Peavey basses, so I just modeled it after that. I almost made it a six bolt (3x3) pattern.

  14. #14
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Yeah, I'm SO not a bass player that just before I started assembling this one I had to ask the gang at the music store if the neck plate on a bass was the same size as on a guitar. When they said 'yes' I was genuinely dumbfounded; it didn't make sense to me that an area THAT big would use only four bolts in the same configuration as a guitar--which just seemed too small for a bass. And, yeah, stabilty was my main concern. I'd seen the five bolt pattern on Lakland and Peavey basses, so I just modeled it after that. I almost made it a six bolt (3x3) pattern.
    Mine does'nt have a plate, they are ferrels and offset, but it still shifts ocassionally. I'll probably add a fifth screw when I'm feeling adventurous. How are you liking the pickups? I'm thinking of picking up a set of Bartolini soap bars to get it a little more punchy. Interested what yours are like, and what you are using for an amp. (I may have missed it.)
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Jazz show
    By gtrhead4life in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11.27.15, 03:09 PM
  2. The AT Custom Natural Flame Tele!
    By AT in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08.15.08, 02:54 PM
  3. Custom Custom in a Mahogany Tele
    By tj093 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05.04.07, 05:35 PM
  4. Sam Crain - Jazz
    By Sunya in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.21.06, 08:29 AM
  5. Who here will be attending the August 6th Walnut Creek show in Raleigh?
    By dirtymovies in forum "Song For Song" Tour 2002
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08.05.02, 07:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •