Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default The AT Custom Walnut Flame Jazz Bass!

As promised I am moving right along on guitar projects. This week I completed another one, but it stands out from the others for one obvious reason: it's a bass!

I am truly a hack bass player. I find my way around the instrument for studio recordings and very (very) seldom gigs. But I've never owned a bass I would consider extremely playable like some of my favorite guitars, and since the comfort and playability factors have been so great with my custom guitar projects thus far I opted to see if I could do the same with a bass. Though I've only had a few days with it, all evidence seems to indicate a success in that respect.

Like the guitar I completed just a couple of weeks ago, the natural flame Tele, I did virtually all of the work on this project. My trusted tech friend Ted Vig made and installed the bone nut, but it was otherwise all me--routing, drilling, wiring, and soldering. This proved to be no small task, as I drilled, from scratch, a unique five-bolt pattern for mounting the neck with ferrules (in lieu of a neck plate). I also had to accurately measure and drill for a string-thru bridge and string ferrules on the back side of the body. The easy compromise would have been to simply install a top-mount bridge, but I've found I genuinely prefer the resonance associated with string-thru instruments.

Pictures of this bass guitar in progress, along with my other guitar projects, can be found in the photos section of my MySpace page: www.myspace.com/andrewthomassolomusic.

The parts list and photos are below!

A&D Solid Alder/Flamed Maple Top Body--Tru-Oil/Wax Finish, Walnut Stain
    AllParts JRO Maple/Rosewood Neck--1 1/2" Bone Nut, C-Shape Profile, 10" Radius, Jumbo Frets, White Top & Side Inlays, Tru-Oil/Wax Finish
    GFS JB Pro Jazz Bass Single Coil Bridge & Neck Pickups
    Chrome String-Thru Bridge
    250K Volume & Tone Potentiometers w/ Black Knobs
    Switchcraft Jack w/ Chrome Jack Plate
    Wilkinson Chrome Tuners
    Nickel String Ferrules
    Chrome String Tree
    Chrome Neck Bolt Ferrules
    Chrome Strap Buttons

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Damn, another good one...

All of y'all doin' your own guitars and basses makes me really admire your craft and hard work!!!

Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuck yes, that is a rockin bass!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I want that bass!!!!!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tasty.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Daaaayuuuuum
    That looks sweet!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Daaaayuuuuum
    That looks sweet!

I'll second that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beautiful. I just got the wood for my stain-tru-oil guitar, so I will most likely be asking more questions about that process soon

Looking at this makes me think tru-oil is a GREAT idea!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Fuck yes, that is a rockin bass!
    It's actually a jazzin' bass.

(Bad joke.)

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Beautiful. I just got the wood for my stain-tru-oil guitar, so I will most likely be asking more questions about that process soon

Looking at this makes me think tru-oil is a GREAT idea!
    I've really found I like the simplicity of the Tru-Oil approach. It's REALLY easy to apply and usually looks really good--kind of like an organic satin finish.

Ask away when you're diving into the process. It won't take long to get used to the staining and Tru-Oil applications.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm knockin' 'em out lately! This one is almost done; it's an alder/walnut top Strat with an AllParts maple neck and an LR Baggs piezo X-Bridge. Last week I opted to go with all black hardware instead of chrome (originally I couldn't get the Baggs bridge in black--only chrome), but the chrome just flashed it up too much. So I'm waiting for some black single coil pickup rings and black jack plates to come in. I've been WAY excited to hear how this one sounds and have the separate output options (regular/piezo) to blend live and in the studio. It's somewhat modeled after the Godin guitars with similar pickup configurations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walnut_Strat_10.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	991  
    Last edited by AT; 08.21.08 at 01:44 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    As promised I am moving right along on guitar projects. This week I completed another one, but it stands out from the others for one obvious reason: it's a bass!

I am truly a hack bass player. I find my way around the instrument for studio recordings and very (very) seldom gigs. But I've never owned a bass I would consider extremely playable like some of my favorite guitars, and since the comfort and playability factors have been so great with my custom guitar projects thus far I opted to see if I could do the same with a bass. Though I've only had a few days with it, all evidence seems to indicate a success in that respect.

Like the guitar I completed just a couple of weeks ago, the natural flame Tele, I did virtually all of the work on this project. My trusted tech friend Ted Vig made and installed the bone nut, but it was otherwise all me--routing, drilling, wiring, and soldering. This proved to be no small task, as I drilled, from scratch, a unique five-bolt pattern for mounting the neck with ferrules (in lieu of a neck plate). I also had to accurately measure and drill for a string-thru bridge and string ferrules on the back side of the body. The easy compromise would have been to simply install a top-mount bridge, but I've found I genuinely prefer the resonance associated with string-thru instruments.

Pictures of this bass guitar in progress, along with my other guitar projects, can be found in the photos section of my MySpace page: www.myspace.com/andrewthomassolomusic.

The parts list and photos are below!

A&D Solid Alder/Flamed Maple Top Body--Tru-Oil/Wax Finish, Walnut Stain
    AllParts JRO Maple/Rosewood Neck--1 1/2" Bone Nut, C-Shape Profile, 10" Radius, Jumbo Frets, White Top & Side Inlays, Tru-Oil/Wax Finish
    GFS JB Pro Jazz Bass Single Coil Bridge & Neck Pickups
    Chrome String-Thru Bridge
    250K Volume & Tone Potentiometers w/ Black Knobs
    Switchcraft Jack w/ Chrome Jack Plate
    Wilkinson Chrome Tuners
    Nickel String Ferrules
    Chrome String Tree
    Chrome Neck Bolt Ferrules
    Chrome Strap Buttons

Andrew! Great job. The top is gorgeous. Love the five bolt neck joint too. Really helps with the stability. I really curse my 4 bolt 'cause it is a real open pocket, and i tend to get a bit of shifting. Real annoying.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Andrew! Great job. The top is gorgeous. Love the five bolt neck joint too. Really helps with the stability. I really curse my 4 bolt 'cause it is a real open pocket, and i tend to get a bit of shifting. Real annoying.
    Yeah, I'm SO not a bass player that just before I started assembling this one I had to ask the gang at the music store if the neck plate on a bass was the same size as on a guitar. When they said 'yes' I was genuinely dumbfounded; it didn't make sense to me that an area THAT big would use only four bolts in the same configuration as a guitar--which just seemed too small for a bass. And, yeah, stabilty was my main concern. I'd seen the five bolt pattern on Lakland and Peavey basses, so I just modeled it after that. I almost made it a six bolt (3x3) pattern.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Yeah, I'm SO not a bass player that just before I started assembling this one I had to ask the gang at the music store if the neck plate on a bass was the same size as on a guitar. When they said 'yes' I was genuinely dumbfounded; it didn't make sense to me that an area THAT big would use only four bolts in the same configuration as a guitar--which just seemed too small for a bass. And, yeah, stabilty was my main concern. I'd seen the five bolt pattern on Lakland and Peavey basses, so I just modeled it after that. I almost made it a six bolt (3x3) pattern.
    Mine does'nt have a plate, they are ferrels and offset, but it still shifts ocassionally. I'll probably add a fifth screw when I'm feeling adventurous. How are you liking the pickups? I'm thinking of picking up a set of Bartolini soap bars to get it a little more punchy. Interested what yours are like, and what you are using for an amp. (I may have missed it.)
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.