Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default What is With the SCHOOL SUPPLY list crap

You know I'm So damn fed up with govt. and this is just one more reason.
    Every year I go to Staples, Target, ect... to buy school supplies. I by pencils, pens, erasers, 5 bazillion spiral notebooks, marbled notes (blue marble & black marble) crayons, markers , colored pencils, glue, tissues, ziplock bags, dividers, folders with 3 ring capability, 1 inch binders, 2.5 inch binders, a portfolio book, and I have to pay 8 dollars each kid for an agenda book....AAACCCCKKKKKKK JO-HO-VAH WTF?????

I spend way over a 100 dang dollars EVERY time.....like 180 and I still haven't bought hand sanitizer.

So do you guys and gals think it's OK to "reassemble" stuff from last year. I bet I have 50 unused #2 pencils, but no box for them. I have a ton of lined paper just not in the wrapper, I have glue sticks out the wazzo, just barely used. I have more markers than Crayola has in stock, justy no boxes and they aren't dried up.

I'm am VERY interested in what everyone and anyone has to say about this.

My kids go to public school....I went to public school for some of my high school and I never remember my mom buying all this stuff. I know education funding is awful and I get that but what do people that aren't financially able do? Or people with 5-6 kids?

Please tell me I'm not the only person on here pissed every year because of this????? .....where is that little smiley face thing with a scowl flipping the bird? We need one!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Fuck em. What are they going to do, kick your kid out because he has a glue stick that's been used twice? Don't sweat it. Make sure your kid has what he/she needs and tell them to kiss your ass and deal with it if it isn't new and shiny. You don't teach kids with glue sticks and brand new spirals.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVHgirl in Va View Post
    So do you guys and gals think it's OK to "reassemble" stuff from last year. I bet I have 50 unused #2 pencils, but no box for them. I have a ton of lined paper just not in the wrapper, I have glue sticks out the wazzo, just barely used. I have more markers than Crayola has in stock, justy no boxes and they aren't dried up.
    That's what my mother has been doing for my sister and I all of our lives. It really saves up a ton of money. If you have it, use it. Always worked for us

As long as your kid has what they need, they really can't do anything about it, new or not. If they do, they don't have much of a defense against you. Seen's right, they can't kick your kid out if the glue stick isn't new.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    That's what my mother has been doing for my sister and I all of our lives. It really saves up a ton of money. If you have it, use it. Always worked for us
    Really? And it doesn't bother you? I'm asking because my kids say they don't care...I'm just hoping they are saying it because they REALLY don't and aren't trying to spare my feelings.

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Fuck em. What are they going to do, kick your kid out because he has a glue stick that's been used twice? Don't sweat it. Make sure your kid has what he/she needs and tell them to kiss your ass and deal with it if it isn't new and shiny. You don't teach kids with glue sticks and brand new spirals.
    Can they???? I mean public education is supposed to be free and available to all....my husband is a doctor, I have NO reason to bitch about buying stuff but damn it makes me mad! I mean some crayons and pencils are one thing but all that other stuff just makes me spin!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EVHgirl in Va View Post
    Really? And it doesn't bother you? I'm asking because my kids say they don't care...I'm just hoping they are saying it because they REALLY don't and aren't trying to spare my feelings.
    It hasn't bothered me for the past ten years. They're school supplies. It's not like me getting a baseball signed by Ryne Sandberg and someone smudging it up afterward (true story).

Christ, last year I found some baseball pencils with guys like Mark McGwire, Greg Vaughn, Sammy Sosa, etc. on them from ten years ago, at least. I thought it was kinda cool, so I used 'em. We have notebooks lying around from back when I was in 6th grade. My school pushes the "college ruled, 120 pages" shit. My notebooks have 70 pages in them and I don't even go through two of them a year. Doesn't effect me, I'm still maintaining a 3.5 GPA right now.

I don't think it matters to kids if their school supplies are 100% perfect and brand new. At least it never bothered me, and I was always picky with that kind of stuff. Others (school officials, mostly) may tell you new school supplies are better for your kids, but that's a load of bullshit. I've been just fine with recycled stuff.
    Last edited by ZachenFoot; 08.12.08 at 02:24 PM.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

most kids do care about school supplies...they want to be prepared, and not embarrassed by not having certain things.....but I don't think they''l care if they are using up stuff they already have.......

Plus it teaches them a really good lesson about making the most of your resources. It's hard to teach a kid how important it is to spend money wisely and recycle resources when you don't give them the example.

If you really feel bad about sending your kid with last years leftovers (and remember "last year" was JUNE) you can donate your as yet unused stuff to your kids class and they'll use 'em...no question.

What irked me about school supplies is the amount of stuff that was requested and not used ...imagine how expensive it is for families with multiple kids and not much expendable income...I donate each year to a "tools for school" thing that helps out families with school supplies

And what about those "class fees and lab fees" that they're killing us with!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    What irked me about school supplies is the amount of stuff that was requested and not used ...imagine how expensive it is for families with multiple kids and not much expendable income...I donate each year to a "tools for school" thing that helps out families with school supplies
    Oh, tell me about it. I've been bring six binders to school each year since 7th grade, I use one a year. I save the others for future occasions, but this year I think I'm only gonna take one.

I had a shit-ton of post-it notes, never used 'em. Pack of highlighters, never used 'em. They go overboard with this stuff, now I just base it off my own judgement. Generally a teacher will tell us when we need something, and if I don't have it, it's a quick trip to Target to pick it up. Worked for me the past several years.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a kid my mom, too, would always reassemble and send us with the remainders from last year. Book covers were designed by my father and always looked much nicer than the store-bought ones.

The only thing that really bothered me was crayons. I had crayons with no box and no sharp ponty heads. Everyone else would have these just bought neato Crayola 64-pack with a sharpener in the back. I begged my mother to get me one but she was/is an artist and she would, instead, teach me how to make other colors from the crayons I had. It still wasn't enough, even though it was a great trick to impress my classmates.

The only time it really mattered was when the teacher would sternly instruct us to bring in two, new, sharpened No.2 pencils cause we were going to be taking the dreaded Nationwide Exam. My father was a graphic artist. He had pencils of every shape, size, color, etc. He kept them in a wine box. I would have to scrounge through this large box until I found two that said No. 2. They may not have been new, but he sure knew how to sharpen them!
    Last edited by Yesterdays; 08.12.08 at 02:42 PM.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So I had studied my last 4-5 years of school with one black pen and 3 notepads - one for English, one for Chemistry, and the other for everything else. Graduated with A+ average. Fuck crayons.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

When I went to work for Cessna back in '96, it was sort of the same thing. I ended up buying a toolbox, and all kinds of tools that they said I would need. I rarely used them. I wasn't exactly rolling in the dough at the time either. It pissed me off!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Good to see it's not only me! I don't recall having to tote as much stuff to school on the first day as these kids do. And I guarantee a lot of it goes to waste. Like all the doggone markers I buy every year - I rarely see any type of work come home that was done in marker - so what the hell are they being used for? And they go through pencils like a rabbit goes through carrots! Must be starting a new one every week whether the old one is done or not. Not counting the number they seem to lose.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I got 5 years to go before I have to worry about this.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We don't buy school supplies to start school. We pay a $20.00 fee per kid and the school pools the money together to buy in bulk. They then distribute the supplies as needed throughout the school. It makes a lot of sense because they get better pricing and they buy what they have to have for the class. They do ask for extras like tissues, a pack of copy paper and markers around mid year because the others are getting worn out but it's really not bad. I actually kind of miss buying supplies as that was my favorite part of back to school but I'll bet when the kids start intermediate, they will have to buy their own.

As for the reassemble question, it really shouldn't be a question. They are good supplies and there is nothing wrong with them so why not use them. Paper is opened and put in a notebook so the only thing they miss is opening the package. The pencils can be put in a pencil box. Don't feel guilty EVHg, it's the right thing to do. Waste not, want not.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd get them a nice, new backpack and use all the paper, pens, pencils that were left over from the year before.

It's freaking annoying AS HELL the lists the teachers put together. I remember when my kids were in school, they'd get the list the first day and were expected to have EVERYTHING the next day. Don't you just love those $75 calculators. F that.
    Van Halen

April 1978 Palladium, NYC
    March 1984 MSG, NYC
    July 1986 Meadowlands, NJ
    Oct 1988 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    July 1993 Jones Beach, NY
    April 1995 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    Oct 2007 Mohegan Sun, CT
    Nov 2007 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    May 2008 MSG, NYC

DLR June 2003 Westbury Music Fair, NY