Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default How young is too young for a cell phone?

How young is too young for a cell phone?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/0...ids/index.html

This should be an interesting discussion.....

3 years old is WAY too young for a cell phone!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 923 Posts

As much as I don't think kids need to have cell phones, I'm not sure it really matters anymore. How many young kids walk around with game boys/DSs/PSPs? How many young kids walk around with iPods or other high-end MP3 players? Everytime I'm at a wedding, I see people who think nothing of handing their expensive digital camera over to a child to run around with and take pictures. It's insane the amount of "money" we put in our kids hands - most of us probably wouldn't hand our kids a couple of hundred dollars in cash, but so many parents think nothing of letting their kid take $200 worth of video game system & games outside to play. So what's one more high-end expensive electronic doo-dad? I know I'm going to hold off as long as I can, but ultimately mrs007 will make that call. I don't think our 16yearold got a cellphone until he had a job (at 14) to pay for his usage.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

my 11 yr old bought her own cell last year and she pays for minutes from her allowance (which she EARNS by doing chores) - for her 12th birthday this year we upgraded her phone for her.

She passed the old phone onto our 9 yr old, she doesn't use it though. She's a tightwad and doesn't want to spend the money for minutes.

3 yrs old is just ridiculous - in my humble little opinion.....

I'd like to add that that kid woulda been in big ass trouble when I found him at Sea World.... 3 yrs old (imo) is old enough to follow directions like "don't leave our side in a place this busy" We traveled extensively with both kids since they were babies and so far I've never lost one. They also knew at that age to find a policeman, employee for help. At 2 yrs old, I can see this happening, but they should have been tethered to mom / dad or in a stroller....but at 3.... my kids would have been in big time trouble.

Here's a great way to kkep up with kids while traveling...
    put a card from the hotel where you are staying in the kids shoe or secure pocket
    put ALL your contact info in there as well.
    If the kid gets lost, they can show the info to an adult.

It sounds however, like this kid just wanted to play on the jungle gym and walked away.
    I have friends with kids like this and they just take off. AND there are no consequences for them either.... I bite my tongue routinely when I see it happening....
    Last edited by EVHgirl in Va; 08.11.08 at 09:37 AM.
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Our two older boys (16 and 14) have cell phones, but more so they can get in contact with us in case of emergency. Both are TracPhones, so no worries about running up the bill.

As for other electronics, each of our three boys has a Nintendo DS and an iPod. The youngest did have a Shuffle until I ran out of room on my Nano 4G and then that went to him. So, in the end, we have 1 Classic 80G (mine), 3 Nanos 8G and the one Nano 4G.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Our two older boys (16 and 14) have cell phones, but more so they can get in contact with us in case of emergency. Both are TracPhones, so no worries about running up the bill.

As for other electronics, each of our three boys has a Nintendo DS and an iPod. The youngest did have a Shuffle until I ran out of room on my Nano 4G and then that went to him. So, in the end, we have 1 Classic 80G (mine), 3 Nanos 8G and the one Nano 4G.
    our kids have tracfones too.
    And both have ipod shuffles
    nintendo DS and a portable DVD - both these are used mainly when we travel
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

My daughter will have one when she's 16.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVHgirl in Va View Post
    my 11 yr old bought her own cell last year and she pays for minutes from her allowance (which she EARNS by doing chores) - for her 12th birthday this year we upgraded her phone for her.

:
    Great strategy.. I have a 4 and a 6 year old. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    My daughter will have one when she's 16.
    That's about the earliest that I'd want a kid to have one, too. There is too much opportunity for trouble at earlier ages.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    That's about the earliest that I'd want a kid to have one, too. There is too much opportunity for trouble at earlier ages.
    And I'm just letting her have it then because there is a "possibility" she may be driving then and I want to keep track of her! I say possibility because it's not a given. Driving is a huge privilege and responsibility. She has to both earn it and be prepared for it. Unfortunately for her, I AM THE JUDGE OF THAT....and I'll not be judging on a curve.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

My neice is 14 and does not have one. He parents have said 15 or 16 but she will not be able to use it to talk at random. It will be for calling her parents and family when she needs too.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ermmm....3? add about 15 years to that, and it would be fine. i did not get a phone until i had a job, which was at age 17 and a half, so i could pay my way to have it and not be a spoiled brat who can push the little people around because mommy and daddy gave it to me. i feel once the kiddo gets a job, then there is a legit reason to have it. my bro was 14 when he got his phone, and he racked up the use on it, because heaven forbid, he did not know when every was taking a shit. that was a little too young, but he had a job, so he could pay for it and learn responsibility with having it.

the point i'm trying to make: Once a kid gets a way to pay for the phone, they should be allowed to have it. and if that age is 12, or 14 or even 17, then the parent can decide if the child should have one or not.

Just my opinion.
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can understand parents getting a real scare and looking at different options to keep their kids safe but you are counting on a child of three being able to keep of a cell phone on their person. Things fall out of pockets, are played with and left behind, etc. How in the world are you going to have a three year old act responsible with a phone? THEY'RE THREE!!!!

And the parents who want to keep track of their kids and be able to reach them at any time, I have to wonder why they don't know where they are at and is there not a phone at the place they are going or do the parents they are with not have a cell phone? My kids go to friends and either there is a house phone or the parents have a cell. Why do my kids need one too?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Dunno, my parents gave my 11-year-old brother a cellphone, mostly because he does alot of sports training across the town and travels on his own. They have unlimited minutes among family members plan so it's pretty much an emergency phone.

I didn't have a cellphone myself until I was 19. Frankly I didn't need it before, not that I really need it now anyway. But that's just me.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Dunno, my parents gave my 11-year-old brother a cellphone, mostly because he does alot of sports training across the town and travels on his own. They have unlimited minutes among family members plan so it's pretty much an emergency phone.

I didn't have a cellphone myself until I was 19. Frankly I didn't need it before, not that I really need it now anyway. But that's just me.
    Perhaps that's the difference. There is no way I would allow an 11 yr old to travel across town by themselves. It's very sad actually but I would be scared to death. It's so scary you can't allow your child to go to the public bathroom at a pool for fear some sicko is trying to collect their urine to drink (we recently had someone do this here in my town). I live in a nice, quiet, middle class neighborhood but I won't let the kids ride their bikes to their friends house which is around two corners (not even 1/4 of a mile) because I would never forgive myself if something happened to them. They are good kids, fairly responsible but they are only 8 and 6. I'm just not there yet to let them out of my sight for long. Geez, I thought they were old enough to go to the bathroom by themselves but I was wrong.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Perhaps that's the difference. There is no way I would allow an 11 yr old to travel across town by themselves. It's very sad actually but I would be scared to death. It's so scary you can't allow your child to go to the public bathroom at a pool for fear some sicko is trying to collect their urine to drink (we recently had someone do this here in my town). I live in a nice, quiet, middle class neighborhood but I won't let the kids ride their bikes to their friends house which is around two corners (not even 1/4 of a mile) because I would never forgive myself if something happened to them. They are good kids, fairly responsible but they are only 8 and 6. I'm just not there yet to let them out of my sight for long. Geez, I thought they were old enough to go to the bathroom by themselves but I was wrong.
    Well my parents are still in Lithuania, we don't exactly have a rich history of serial killers and child molestors back there. Not at all no be frankly honest. I had been travelling across the town since I was 9 but I must say my parents did a really good job at preparing me for any possible situations - be that green-red-light traffic, or strangers offering you a candy.