Thread: DUPLICOLOR!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default DUPLICOLOR!!!

I just did a first coat on a guitar with this stuff, and I have quickly started loving it. I have used testors, krylon, rustoleum, and about every kind of spray paint (in cans) and have always had some sort of problem with it. This stuff is MUCH better, and so is their spray nozzle.

My only question: how soon after painting can I tape it off to stripe it? 24 hours? And after that, how long will a 5 coat (about) paintjob take to harden?

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Duplicolor is the Sh**!!!! I have striped my last three EVH striped guitars with this stuff. I was able to tape the next day. Heck- I was able to mask the black stripes (5150) in an hour...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

04.27.12 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used Duplicolor on my Frankenstrat and love it. I'd wait a day before striping it. Be careful when pulling the tape up so as not to pull up any paint. As for completely dry, try a few months. It will always be somewhat soft. And, for the love of God, don't put it on a stand with rubber pads unless you want your paint to start rubbing off.
    "Yeah, "Panama" is a pretty sexy song; I always thought that song should’ve been sung by a girl; now ya got Sammy Hagar. Any questions?"

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I just did a first coat on a guitar with this stuff, and I have quickly started loving it. I have used testors, krylon, rustoleum, and about every kind of spray paint (in cans) and have always had some sort of problem with it. This stuff is MUCH better, and so is their spray nozzle.

My only question: how soon after painting can I tape it off to stripe it? 24 hours? And after that, how long will a 5 coat (about) paintjob take to harden?
    It will take 6 months to a year to fully harden, and it will shrink a little in the process. If you get it to a nice gloss shine (not sure if that is what you are going for or not), you will be happy at first, but greatly disappointed when the finish is all cracked in a year or so. I will never paint a guitar with rattle cans again.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamhlava View Post
    I used Duplicolor on my Frankenstrat and love it. I'd wait a day before striping it. Be careful when pulling the tape up so as not to pull up any paint. As for completely dry, try a few months. It will always be somewhat soft. And, for the love of God, don't put it on a stand with rubber pads unless you want your paint to start rubbing off.
    I have done striping before so I am not worried about pulling up paint -- I know how to avoid that, but thanks. As for the dry times I just needed to know how this compared to the other paints I have used -- thanks guys.

Funny, I have a Krylon guitar that I made the mistake of putting on a stand... bad idea. It tore 2 huge strips on the bottom of my guitar! Oh, well, I learned my lesson.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Duplicolor is great stuff. I just did a guitar using it. Very good spray nozzle. I painted a few coats in the morning and did the striping later that afternoon...no problems. If you want to do a clear coat, make sure you use colors that are compatible with the clear coat. There should be a cc indicated along with the colour of the paint to tell you it is clear coat compatible. For example, the white I used said Olympic White CC on the label. If that isn't on the label and you do a clear coat, it will eventually crack and spoil the way some people have experienced.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks -- this guitar is gonna be a heavily relic'ed replica, so there will be no clear coats here! I was astonished at how good the paint looks already... actually, it looks TOO good.

Is there a good way of buffing or rubbing a duplicolor finish so that it looks dull and worn?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Maybe do some wet sanding with a fine grit to take off some of the gloss? Use a heavier grit if you want to go down to the wood or make it looked damaged. I have a dremmel tool that I use now. It has a million different attachments for sanding, buffing etc. It's a handy little tool and I only paid like 60 bucks for a kit with a bunch of different attachments. Great for polishing your frets too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The beauty of Duplicolor, is that is extremely close in make up to what Ed used to refer to as Schwinn bicycle paint.It was a generally manufactured paint ,branded by Schwinn. It was simply touch up paint for bike frames back in the late 70's early 80's, just as it is touch up paint for cars today. It's awsome for relic frankies because it has almost the exact translucence when you apply the red over the black and white. Plus the range of available colors is incredible. One thing you will find of value though when relicing, is you should have patience and allow the black and white to cure fully so you can gouge away the red a bit easier seperate from the B&W. With Duplicolor, you can get away with about a week at a room temperature between 75 and 80 degrees, but I've left it for up to a month with incredible results. Nice hard finish with no gumminess whatsoever. It's great stuff. Good luck. Have fun!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks SLEEPER!

This is going to be a black and white era frankie replica anyway, so I think I'll let is sit a week before relicing -- that way it won't just smear and get gummy when I hack away at it.... hehehe

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

QUOTE=mrjstudios;1024988]Thanks SLEEPER!

This is going to be a black and white era frankie replica anyway, so I think I'll let is sit a week before relicing -- that way it won't just smear and get gummy when I hack away at it.... hehehe[/QUOTE]
    Sound like fun. Are you gonna do the combination of painted and lines and pinstriping tape, or all paint? I did mine all paint, but now I regret it. I decided to add the red two years later. Still looks cool though. Just a loose interpretation. Mine is a double humbucker to begin with cause like you, I love the EBMM tone.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.13.08 at 06:34 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice!

I'm doing it for a friend actually... we did go ahead and paint the little stripes on... but you'll see why later.

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice!

I'm doing it for a friend actually... we did go ahead and paint the little stripes on... but you'll see why later.
    hehe

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I just finished the striping on my Duplicolor guitar, but when I pulled the tape off, there was a little residue left from it on the stripes. I definitely let the black dry long enough before taping... maybe it was defective painters tape.... grrrr.... anyway, does anyone know of a good way to get the gummy stuff off of the paint without ruining it? (this guitar is going to be reliced anyway, so it is not a huge concern, but still...)

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I just finished the striping on my Duplicolor guitar, but when I pulled the tape off, there was a little residue left from it on the stripes. I definitely let the black dry long enough before taping... maybe it was defective painters tape.... grrrr.... anyway, does anyone know of a good way to get the gummy stuff off of the paint without ruining it? (this guitar is going to be reliced anyway, so it is not a huge concern, but still...)
    Goo Gone