Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Russia, Georgia at War

This been on the radio all day.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...20-661,00.html

THE Olympic ideal of a world united in harmony for the duration of the Games was in tatters as Russian and Georgian troops waged war.

With the world's eyes focused on Beijing, up to 1500 people died as US-backed Georgian forces tried to reclaim a Russian-backed breakaway province.

Stunned Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd sat metres away as US President George W. Bush and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin debated the invasion during Friday's Olympic opening ceremony.

"The President and Mr Putin were in animated conversation two seats in front of us and I imagine they had a few things on their agenda," Mr Rudd said.

He said Mr Bush appeared to be making a strong point to the Russian as the world's elite athletes filed in to Beijing's Bird's Nest stadium.

The military confrontation in the province of South Ossetia overshadowed the Olympic spirit and was in defiance of a long-standing global truce during the sports festival.

Beijing's official Xinhua news agency urged a ceasefire.

"With the opening of the Beijing Olympic Games, the world has entered an Olympic period. During these special days, the outbreak of armed clashes in South Ossetia is something the world's people do not wish to see," the commentary said.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also issued an appeal, calling on the warring nations to honour the traditional Games-time truce.

News agencies in Russia yesterday said its army had "completely liberated" Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia, from Georgian forces.

Georgia's president, Mikheil Saakashvili, said Russian aerial bombardment had destroyed the key Black Sea oil port of Poti and announced his country was officially at war with Russia.

Mr Rudd called for peace, saying: "Our position, like the Americans, is that it's important for peace and stability to return to this part of Georgia.

"We recognise and continue to recognise Georgia's sovereignty over Ossetia and, therefore, it's important Russia ceases its military involvement.

"This problem in Ossetia has been brewing for quite some time. Certainly, the timing of the actions on the part of the Russians -- that's a question best put to them.

"What I know is the international community is speaking with one voice in support of the cessation of hostilities by the Russians."

South Ossetia is home to only 70,000 people, but the issue threatened to develop into a full-blown crisis after President Bush backed Georgia and warned Russia to roll back its tank fleets.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080809...nrestdiplomacy

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States and European Union are leading a diplomatic push to prevent all-out war between Georgia and Russia, calling for a ceasefire as Russian tanks rolled into a rebel Georgian province.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Envoys from the US, EU and Organization of Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) were being deployed to Georgia to seek an end to the fighting in Russian-backed South Ossetia, a breakaway region of Western-backed Georgia.

On Friday, Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte summoned Russian Charge d'Affaires Alexander Darchiyev to the State Department to press Moscow to cease military operations in Georgia.

"The United States calls for an immediate ceasefire to the armed conflict in Georgia's region of South Ossetia," US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said in a statement Friday.

"We call on Russia to cease attacks on Georgia by aircraft and missiles, respect Georgia's territorial integrity, and withdraw its ground combat forces from Georgian soil," she said.

The United States was working actively with its European allies to launch international mediation to end the crisis, Rice said, adding that senior US officials have spoken with the parties in the conflict.

"We underscore the international community's support for Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity within its internationally recognized borders, as articulated in numerous UN Security Council resolutions," she said.

US president George W. Bush spoke to Rice and National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley about the crisis from Beijing, where he is attending the Olympic Games, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino told reporters.

Russian tanks and troops surged into South Ossetia on Friday to repel a Georgian offensive to reclaim the region amid fighting said to have left hundreds dead.

On Saturday, the Russian army announced it had "liberated" the South Ossetian capital of Tskhinvali as Georgia declared a "state of war."

South Ossetia broke from Georgia in the early 1990s. It has since been a constant source of friction between Georgia and Russia, which disputes Tbilisi's hopes of joining NATO.

South Ossetia has long sought unification with North Ossetia, which is inhabited by the same Ossetian ethnic group but ended up across the border in Russia after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

The Georgian government, led by President Mikheil Saakashvili, announced it would withdraw its 2,000 troops that are part of the US-led coalition in Iraq to help the fight in South Ossetia.

The EU presidency said it was in contact with all protagonists and working to secure a ceasefire "so as to avoid an extension of the conflict."

The EU "calls on all parties to cease hostilities and to resume, without delay, so as to secure a political solution to the crisis, which respects Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity," it said.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana has been busy on the phone talking with, among others, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Georgia's Foreign Minister Ekaterine Tkeshelashvili, a spokeswoman said.

At the United Nations, however, the Security Council failed to agree Friday on a statement calling for an immediate truce in South Ossetia. The 15-member body was scheduled to try again on Saturday.

Diplomats said a Belgian-drafted compromise text also urges the warring sides to "show restraint and to refrain from any further acts of violence or force," calls for respect by the parties of past accords and for the provision of humanitarian aid to victims.

Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin insisted on the need for Georgia to agree to a formal renunciation of the use of force by either side.

Georgia's reintegration minister, Temur Yakobashvili, told France's Le Figaro newspaper's website that Western diplomats would have a huge say over the outcome of the conflict.

Asked what will happen next in the Caucasus, he said, "much will depend on the reaction of the West."

The Washington Post called the situation in South Ossetia Saturday "a grave challenge to the United States and Europe."

The newspaper said in an editorial it was unrealistic to expect UN Security Council action because of a likely Russian veto.

"Thus, the United States and its NATO allies must together impose a price on Russia if it does not promptly change course," the editorial concluded.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

More here:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080809/D92F03GG0.html

They targeted a major oil pipeline:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9618164.htm

Which will drive up the price of oil on the global market but you won't hear the left-tards saying it's a war for oil.

The Georgians kept pushing their luck with the Russians which is always a bad idea.
    Last edited by Axxman300; 08.09.08 at 04:37 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post

... US-backed Georgian forces
    Well I would hope the U.S. would support one of its own damn states!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Well I would hope the U.S. would support one of its own damn states!
    Funny post . . .

But depending on what happens in Iran and Pakistan, coupled with a looming worldwide recession/depression, we could be seeing more early salvos of WWIII.
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lmr5150 View Post
    we could be seeing more early salvos of WWIII.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

-Mark Twain

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

-Mark Twain
    Not to be a dick, but Twain died before WWI (1910), and before the development of the atomic bomb. It is actually Albert Einstein.
    Last edited by lmr5150; 08.09.08 at 04:53 PM.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Which will drive up the price of oil on the global market but you won't hear the left-tards saying it's a war for oil.

The Georgians kept pushing their luck with the Russians which is always a bad idea.

And the Russians went OG with this. They fucked up the dogs and the women. They didn't play nice...and we do. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

WWIII started on September 11th, 2001. You'd be looking for WWIV.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. We have 500 soldiers in Georgia right now and so far they're safe but I suspect they'll be hauling ass out of there soon. Think Russian troops in Puerto Rico or Hawaii, not worth getting caught in the middle of.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

As bad as 9/11 was, I don't think that it meets the criteria for a world war, yet. Now, if Iran becomes engaged and drags in a few more countries, I think that it would. Just my opinion.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

As bad as 9/11 was, I don't think that it meets the criteria for a world war, yet. Now, if Iran becomes engaged and drags in a few more countries, I think that it would. Just my opinion.
    Well, WW1 started with an assassination of some dumbass prince of Austro-Hungary. You never know.

Georgians really *are* pushing their luck there. Unless US backs them up, there are gonna be Russian tanks and jets there.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I did a quick cruise around the international blogs and none of the Russians think this is a smart move at all.

Beyond diplomatic hoopla, I don't see what the US can really do. US forces shootng at Russian forces is a very bad idea.

My Blog:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The United States has engaged targets in:
    Afghanistan
    The Philippines
    Somalia
    Pakistan

(Bonus war in Iraq)

The unorganized enemy has either struck targets or inspired attacks in:

New York
    Washington DC
    Bali
    Thailand
    Egypt
    Spain
    India
    London

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not to be a dick, but Twain died before WWI (1910), and before the development of the atomic bomb. It is actually Albert Einstein.
    You weren't being a dick at all. Thanks for the correction! It's easy to get those crazy-white-haired codgers mixed up!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

But depending on what happens in Iran and Pakistan, coupled with a looming worldwide recession/depression, we could be seeing more early salvos of WWIII.
    Nah. We're just seeing a regional powerplay. The Georgians seemed to think that they could push and that we would back them. That seemed unwise. Russia has been needing to flex its new muscle, and Georgia has given them an opportunity.

What I'm really interested in is the reaction of other former Soviet republics. Do they keep quiet and hope they'll go unnoticed, or do they make some noise and try to force the Russians to back down? If they're quiet, they're scared--and smart.