Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Banned! The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.22.08
    Location
    The Bowling Alley
    Posts
    263
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

    Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

    11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default In two weeks time...

    In two weeks I heard two of the most motivating quotes from guitar gods than I have ever heard before.

    I read, I think it was in Rolling Stone, Slash was quoted as saying the riff to SCOM was always difficult for him to pull off, especially live.

    Then today I heard Pete Townsend say that he had been invited many, many times to jam with other professional musicians. However, he usually declined, because he felt his, *chops* weren't up to par, and just lately (in his 60's) he felt like he is coming into his own, and feeling confident enough to do just that.

    Hearing guitar legends like this talk about dealing with insecurities is very grounding for me. Hell, I thought I was the only one.

    I had such a hard time getting the riff for SCOM down that I almost slammed my guitar down and said Fuck it...I'm just not good at this.

    And playing in front of people? Shit, I still don't know if I've overcome that, but to hear that even Pete Townsend has had problems with it? Wow....it is actually encouraging.

    To hear quotes like this from the legends motivates me. I guess I feel like, in a small way, we are all in the same boat.

    And for anyone else out there thinking the same.....

    Nice to know aint' it?

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    One of the most liberating things I ever heard was when Ty Tabor (of King's X) told me directly that he was never comfortable with his own playing, that it never sounded like what he heard in his head. This was in 1998. He said at that point he'd only recently started to accept his own style and sound and work with what he had. I found that quite surprising coming from a guitarist that, despite only having moderate "big" commercial success, is still quoted by many as being a major influence in both playing style and tone.

  3. #3
    Banned! The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.22.08
    Location
    The Bowling Alley
    Posts
    263
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

    Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

    11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It's amazing isn't AT? Maybe I should have titled this...our own insecurities eat us up.

    We judge ourselves most harshly.

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Yes, our insecurities definitely get the best of us. But that question goes well beyond just guitar playing.

    I was not a disciplined practicer when I was a kid. I was raised in a musical family and was taking lessons and exposed to music very early on--about age 3. So I always had good instincts and could pick up on many things quickly. But the truly challenging stuff alluded me because I was too lazy to put in the time and effort, and I was a shy and insecure kid who always held myself back. Now, and since about age 18, I've learned how to practice and what it takes to really get better. I used to get down on myself for "delaying" that progress, but if anything I've learned that it never stops; there is always a new challenge and always new ventures to take with the guitar and with music. I think I've actually became as "good" as I wanted to be when I was a teenager, but I still feel like I know next to nothing.

    Draw parallels to this with just about everything else in life we learn about as we go. The difference now, I think, is we are better able to be practical, efficient, and confident as adults.

  5. #5
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    What I have lerned over the years is that true vituosos of anything don't know that they are such; and when they know it, they usually are NOT all that.

    While I am confident enough to sing and perform in front of an audience, I am not confident enough to sing in front of other singers. I know that my guitar playing is merely good enough to write a song, and that's it. Hell, it is hard for me to sing and play at the same time.

    Again, it is good to know that the greatest get intimidated. Knowing that will make an audition go a LOT better for me in the future...

  6. #6
    On Fire TAMPA VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.18.07
    Age
    51
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    331
    Favorite VH Album

    VH2
    Favorite VH Song

    OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

    09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    One of the most liberating things I ever heard was when Ty Tabor (of King's X) told me directly that he was never comfortable with his own playing, that it never sounded like what he heard in his head. This was in 1998. He said at that point he'd only recently started to accept his own style and sound and work with what he had. I found that quite surprising coming from a guitarist that, despite only having moderate "big" commercial success, is still quoted by many as being a major influence in both playing style and tone.
    I have always loved Kings X, and especially Tabor's tone and creativity. Some of his riff's are so simple and some just knock your dick in the dirt! Either way, he is one of the most melodic players i have ever listened to.

  7. #7
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,727
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

    Default

    I never think I'm good enough and when I hear some of you guys I feel even worse about my playing.

    But I feel pretty good about my ability to write a good song and come up with some halfass solo. I stopped worrying how complicated my stuff was, you are who you are as a player.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  8. #8
    Eruption VHwasCoolestWithDLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.10.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,023
    Favorite VH Album

    All of em
    Favorite VH Song

    Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

    01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    tork
    Last edited by VHwasCoolestWithDLR; 08.08.08 at 07:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    10.01.06
    Posts
    203
    Last Online

    10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I lost my thinking cap -- SCOM ? What tune is that


  10. #10
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    "I lost my thinking cap -- SCOM ? What tune is that?"

    Sweet Child O' Mine

  11. #11
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    10.01.06
    Posts
    203
    Last Online

    10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    "I lost my thinking cap -- SCOM ? What tune is that?"

    Sweet Child O' Mine


    jeez

  12. #12
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    "I lost my thinking cap -- SCOM ? What tune is that?"

    Sweet Child O' Mine
    I thought that was a Michael Jackson tune?

  13. #13
    Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.09.08
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    205
    Favorite VH Album

    5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

    02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    "I lost my thinking cap -- SCOM ? What tune is that?"

    Sweet Child O' Mine
    I had to think about it for a few seconds myself, but I got it lol, haven't listened to GNR in a while.

  14. #14
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I thought that was a Michael Jackson tune?

    Didn't you hear about the never released duet album by Michael Jackson and R Kelly called "Duets and Lullabyes for Sexy Children"? Their version of "Sweet Child O' Mine" was on there...

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight Grateful Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    77
    Last Online

    10.25.13 @ 11:05 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Yes, our insecurities definitely get the best of us. But that question goes well beyond just guitar playing.

    I was not a disciplined practicer when I was a kid. I was raised in a musical family and was taking lessons and exposed to music very early on--about age 3. So I always had good instincts and could pick up on many things quickly. But the truly challenging stuff alluded me because I was too lazy to put in the time and effort, and I was a shy and insecure kid who always held myself back. Now, and since about age 18, I've learned how to practice and what it takes to really get better. I used to get down on myself for "delaying" that progress, but if anything I've learned that it never stops; there is always a new challenge and always new ventures to take with the guitar and with music. I think I've actually became as "good" as I wanted to be when I was a teenager, but I still feel like I know next to nothing.

    Draw parallels to this with just about everything else in life we learn about as we go. The difference now, I think, is we are better able to be practical, efficient, and confident as adults.
    As Matthew Sweet so aptly put it: "Life is a highway, I want to drive it all night long"
    "what's that sign say?"
    "no fighting"
    "what's that mean?"
    "no fighting"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Ed called Dave two weeks ago?
    By Little Dreamer in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08.10.05, 07:52 PM
  2. Ed called Dave two weeks ago?
    By Little Dreamer in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08.10.05, 05:42 AM
  3. Next weeks hollywood squares.
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10.09.02, 03:56 AM
  4. I'm out for a couple weeks...
    By laner in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12.18.01, 09:33 AM
  5. 12 weeks should be up for Ed today?
    By Potking in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08.18.00, 09:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •