Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Yngwie Malmsteen

God, I can't stop listening to this guy!

this is worth a laugh though.
    http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=1398
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The fellow is simply an enigma. If you are a fan, a true fan, then you simply must read these heartfelt and devoted dispatches from the man himself, around 2004...

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=128
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=132
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=133

Yet nothing could explain things better than this simply...uhmm...jaw-dropping performance.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 763 Posts

Yngwie has gained a lot of weight. Another thing that irritates me about him is that he doesn't play rhythm live... he'll just let the band carry the rhythm part and goes to get a drink.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Balance, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Pleasure Dome, Humans Being
    Last Online

10.10.08 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Pure Hostility!'"

Gotta love Dimebag's commentary, too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Yet nothing could explain things better than this simply...uhmm...jaw-dropping performance.

What a tool....

I mean, the guy can shred but he's just so stuck in the '80's!
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The fellow is simply an enigma. If you are a fan, a true fan, then you simply must read these heartfelt and devoted dispatches from the man himself, around 2004...

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=128
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=132
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=133

Ahhh man that's why Malmsteen is the greatest!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Yngwie's been my favorite guitarist since the mid-80's, but in all fairness, the man has repeated himself one thousand times over already. He hasn't brought any innovating and new to the table in years. He's worse than AC/DC in that regard. He's made the same record ten times.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

When I think of Yngwie the word "waste" comes to mind. He has an incredible talent, both musically and technically, but he throws it away everytime he plays the guitar because his ego is so huge.

It is so huge, in fact, that it has it's own gravitational field.

He also has the worst tone of any guitarist alive. That includes a chap called Bob I met in a guitar store in Denmark Street in London. But that's another story.

I was actually quite excited when I heard about his concerto for guitar and orchestra.

I say, "when I heard ABOUT". When I actually heard it I decided life would be easier if I took a huge shit on my sofa and called it "Concerto for sofa and shit in E minor".

However, saying all that, he has mastered the art of "middle aged fat bloke in leather trousers doing embarrassing leg kicks" to the zenith of it's possibility.

For that alone, he must be admired.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Yngwie has gained a lot of weight. Another thing that irritates me about him is that he doesn't play rhythm live... he'll just let the band carry the rhythm part and goes to get a drink.
    Hear, hear! That pissed me off so much the last time I saw him.
    Actually, most of the time, he didn't even play the lead! Not if he was thirsty.
    Here's the way a typical Yngwie song goes down live:

1. Band starts intro while Yngwie takes a slug of beer.

2. Yngwie plays head of song while throwing picks out into the audience every measure.

3. Yngwie drinks a beer during verse.

4. During chorus, Yngwie notices his guitar has gone out of tune; he switches guitars. (There are about ten strats off stage left, with a very overworked guitar tech trying to keep them in tune)

5. Yngwie's new guitar is, apparently out of tune as well. (Hard to tell after he's only played three notes.) He plays about every other chord of the first chorus while making obscene gestures at the guitar tech.

6. Second verse, switch guitars again.

7. Second chorus, Yngwie chugs more beer and makes an "artistic" decision to do shredding tricks with his hand over the top of the neck instead of actually playing the song.

8. Now for the solo, Yngwie plays the first half of the solo pretty much like the record, then plays the second half of the solo one-handed (not much like the record), while chugging a beer.

9. During the last verse, Yngwie discovers that a stage light is shining in his eyes. He immediately becomes furious, pointing at the light and shouting at the lighting guy who is offstage somewhere. This continues throughout the rest of the song.

10. During the last chorus, Yngwie switches guitars again. This new guitar is, apparently, imperfect as well. More obscene gestures to the guitar tech, punctuated with picks being thrown at the guitar tech and also at the offending stage light.

11. Finally, the big finish. Yngwie discovers that he has an echo pedal on stage. What fun! He plays some shred licks with the pedal on (which makes for a pretty confusing smear of notes), then hits a chord and lets it echo indefinitely while simultaneously chugging beer, cursing his guitar tech, and throwing picks at the stage light.

Ta-Daaa!

True story. Don't believe me? Buy a ticket.

I'm still a fan, though. 'Cause he's Yngwie. There's no one like him.

Don't read this.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You left out the newest trick in his arsenal: Nailing some highly discordant harmonics, then letting the white noise ring out uncontrolled (Look, ma...No Hands!) as if it were a chord. He must have employed this roughly 12-15 times the last (and I mean very last) time I went to see the man "perform".

The St. Sanders parody of the guy simply can not compare to Malmsteen himself at this point.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Actually, most of the time, he didn't even play the lead! Not if he was thirsty.
    Here's the way a typical Yngwie song goes down live:

1. Band starts intro while Yngwie takes a slug of beer.

2. Yngwie plays head of song while throwing picks out into the audience every measure.

3. Yngwie drinks a beer during verse.

4. During chorus, Yngwie notices his guitar has gone out of tune; he switches guitars. (There are about ten strats off stage left, with a very overworked guitar tech trying to keep them in tune)

5. Yngwie's new guitar is, apparently out of tune as well. (Hard to tell after he's only played three notes.) He plays about every other chord of the first chorus while making obscene gestures at the guitar tech.

6. Second verse, switch guitars again.

7. Second chorus, Yngwie chugs more beer and makes an "artistic" decision to do shredding tricks with his hand over the top of the neck instead of actually playing the song.

8. Now for the solo, Yngwie plays the first half of the solo pretty much like the record, then plays the second half of the solo one-handed (not much like the record), while chugging a beer.

9. During the last verse, Yngwie discovers that a stage light is shining in his eyes. He immediately becomes furious, pointing at the light and shouting at the lighting guy who is offstage somewhere. This continues throughout the rest of the song.

10. During the last chorus, Yngwie switches guitars again. This new guitar is, apparently, imperfect as well. More obscene gestures to the guitar tech, punctuated with picks being thrown at the guitar tech and also at the offending stage light.

11. Finally, the big finish. Yngwie discovers that he has an echo pedal on stage. What fun! He plays some shred licks with the pedal on (which makes for a pretty confusing smear of notes), then hits a chord and lets it echo indefinitely while simultaneously chugging beer, cursing his guitar tech, and throwing picks at the stage light.

Ta-Daaa!

Man BW! That was the shit! I could'nt stop laughing. I saw him back in 87' or 88', and even though he did play alot more than what you described, he still came off like assmunch. He drank shitloads of beer, and as the night went on his playing got more sporadic and yes he did leave the stage on 3 or 4 occasions and came back looking pissed at someone at the soundboard, and throwing the finger in their general direction repeatedly. As far as tone, honestly I can't compare 'cause I've only seen him once, but I went with 3 other guys, and we agreed that his tone was pretty smokin' except that like you said he was using alot of delay and it was real hard to make out some of the notes during his legato runs.but hey,weve heard 'em all before, right? Not hard to use your imagination!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

that's all sad to hear. I used to see him all the time and always thought he put on amazing shows. I know he's much more sloppy now.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

I like a few early Yngwie songs from back in the day.

Great old song from '83 and his Alcatrazz days.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

... And I don't think I've ever heard a song about vikings that I didn't like.

I Am a Viking rocks.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

I was obsessed with this dude when I was younger. My room was wall to wall Yngwie. Posters, pics, t-shirts, even some huge seven foot cut-out of him from a Crate Amps ad. But now I can't tolerate anything past 7th Sign. Magnum Opus was the same album as 7th Sign was and everything he did after that was complete garbage. Well, I liked Inspiration, but that's all cover tunes. He hasn't put out a decent album in years that didn't sound like everything else he'd ever done.

I read an interview with keyboardist Derek Sherinian and he said Yngwie was the best guitarist that could go from classical to blues like the flick of the switch. Maybe Yngwie should make a blues record. It would be unexpected, but that would be much better than releasing the same album over and over under a different name with different members.