Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Default The importance of words.

The whole PC/euphemistic approach to life is going too far. Not only is it making us stupid, it is starting to get a little dangerous too.

In the UK I hear conversation after conversation where people complain about their financial woes due to the "Credit Crunch". Wow, sounds great, what's that? The media, prompted of course by following government lingo, has somehow managed to convince everyone that the reason why their life is in the toilet is down to some complicated financial shennanigans of which they are admirably privy to, seeing as how they understand international economics and all that stuff, innit...

Of course, it sounds a lot cooler than using the word "recession" which sounds, let's be honest, a little bit depressing and pretty much unalterable on an individual level.

I actually heard a spokesman for a UK health trust today usethe phrase "life limiting condition". I guess we don't have the stomach for "terminal illness" or even better, "yep, you're dying".

But it's dangerous too. Today a Department of Health study has concluded that the term "obese" should not be used when warning parents about the state of their children. "seriously overweight" is being considered as a better, less threatening alternative since "obese" turns the parents off.

Obese is a medical term. It means you are so fat that your life is in danger and that you need to take steps to do something about it. With the explosion of diabetes in kids, obese is exactly the right word if it scares people into doing something, because, let's be honest, a 12 year old is obese because the parents either did it to them or allowed it to happen.

This softly softly approach to definitions is getting worse daily and it won't be long when people complain because they didn't know the truth about their situation. And then it's too late.

Personally I am not "involuntarily dependant upon a potentially life limiting substance". I am addicted to cigarettes. By knowing this I can do something about it, which I am, but that's not the point here. There are enough people who can't even read that wouldn't know what the first sentence even meant.

Those that know me, know this is one of my major anger-makers. Rant over. As usual I'll leave it to Mr Carlin, who is now "dead", he hasn't "passed away", for a final word on the matter.

To those that use this idiotic language ....."pre suck my genital situation".
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    The whole PC/euphemistic approach to life is going too far. Not only is it making us stupid, it is starting to get a little dangerous too.

In the UK I hear conversation after conversation where people complain about their financial woes due to the "Credit Crunch". Wow, sounds great, what's that? The media, prompted of course by following government lingo, has somehow managed to convince everyone that the reason why their life is in the toilet is down to some complicated financial shennanigans of which they are admirably privy to, seeing as how they understand international economics and all that stuff, innit...

Of course, it sounds a lot cooler than using the word "recession" which sounds, let's be honest, a little bit depressing and pretty much unalterable on an individual level.

I actually heard a spokesman for a UK health trust today usethe phrase "life limiting condition". I guess we don't have the stomach for "terminal illness" or even better, "yep, you're dying".

But it's dangerous too. Today a Department of Health study has concluded that the term "obese" should not be used when warning parents about the state of their children. "seriously overweight" is being considered as a better, less threatening alternative since "obese" turns the parents off.

Obese is a medical term. It means you are so fat that your life is in danger and that you need to take steps to do something about it. With the explosion of diabetes in kids, obese is exactly the right word if it scares people into doing something, because, let's be honest, a 12 year old is obese because the parents either did it to them or allowed it to happen.

This softly softly approach to definitions is getting worse daily and it won't be long when people complain because they didn't know the truth about their situation. And then it's too late.

Personally I am not "involuntarily dependant upon a potentially life limiting substance". I am addicted to cigarettes. By knowing this I can do something about it, which I am, but that's not the point here. There are enough people who can't even read that wouldn't know what the first sentence even meant.

Those that know me, know this is one of my major anger-makers. Rant over. As usual I'll leave it to Mr Carlin, who is now "dead", he hasn't "passed away", for a final word on the matter.

To those that use this idiotic language ....."pre suck my genital situation".
    +1

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

PC sucks.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent post. It's also scary that people feel they have a right to get offended for someone else who isn't even offended. There is no room to understand what a person might have meant only what someone else thinks they meant. My case in point is the Tiger Woods/lynching comment made by one of Tiger's friends. Everyone made a big deal out of it and Tiger said he accepted the commentators apologize and didn't think twice about it yet the media continued on and on and on. It's getting ridicules.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's a flips side to consider:

People are stupid.

I work in a motel, I have a "No Vacancy" sign. I've had to make a second one that I tape to the door that says "Sold Out, No Rooms". Why? Because your average 25 year-old American doesn't know what the word "Vacancy" means and thus the sign "No Vacancy" is beyond them.

I'm not kidding.

Ten years from now I will have to make a sign that says "Me full, you go bye bye".

Remember when the rule of the day was "Sticks & Stones"? Now we have to manage our words so we don't hurt anybody's feelings. Obese was the preferred substitute for FAT, as in fatty-fat ass. Telling a parent their child is obese makes it a sophisticated medical problem. Telling them their kid is a lard-ass makes it THEIR problem. Telling kids that they're fat hurts their feelings, I'd know because I was called fat by my doctor: "Marc, you're getting fat. That's not good for you. Knock off the junk food and go outside and play"...so I did. I lost the weight too. This was back in 1974 when people still went to "Fat Farms" instead of "Health Spa's".

The UK has a bigger PC problem than the US, which is sad considering that English was perfected and refined there. Sad indeed.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    There's a flips side to consider:

People are stupid.

I work in a motel, I have a "No Vacancy" sign. I've had to make a second one that I tape to the door that says "Sold Out, No Rooms". Why? Because your average 25 year-old American doesn't know what the word "Vacancy" means and thus the sign "No Vacancy" is beyond them.

I'm not kidding.

Ten years from now I will have to make a sign that says "Me full, you go bye bye".
    Have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

The Credit Crunch was caused by over zealous bankers who should all go to fucking jail. But they wont and it will happen again. History repeats itself.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?
    Yes. It's a personal favorite.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    The Credit Crunch was caused by over zealous bankers who should all go to fucking jail. But they wont and it will happen again. History repeats itself.
    It took two to tango.

You also had people applying for loans that they knew they couldn't afford in hoped of flipping their new house in six months for a tidy profit. I warned people on this board as long ago as 2002 that there was something fishy going on in the housing market and I'm not all that bright so if I could see it then others should have as well.

Greedy Lenders + Greedy Buyers = Bad Situation.

When I feel like risking my money I go to Vegas because it's more fun and good looking women bring you free drinks.

True story:

In 1992 I went into the Nissan dealer to have my truck serviced and I ended up buying a new truck. I figured that since my credit rating was so bad that there was no way they'd get financing. I was wrong and I ending up paying $21,000 for a $14,000 truck because of finance charges. Like I said, I'm an idiot.

Flash forward to last December, I'm at the dealership having my truck serviced and a young salesman pounces on me. I figure that since my truck is now 15 years old and has 230,000 miles on her that I should at least start to look for a replacement. I tell the kid that I'm not in the market but I'll humor him and go through the process. The best they can do is $467 a month and I tell them that my limit is $195 a month. They give me the whole song and dance about how great an offer this was and the usual by-the-book sales tack and I countered with the fact that I expected gas to reach $5.00 a gallon ( we came close) and that their best rate was no realistic in any way. I also didn't like the new Frontier either, the four cylinder is way underpowered for it's size and weight and it doesn't get as good gas mileage as my current truck.

Bottom line, I knew what I could afford and if they couldn't meet that price I didn't buy it. They couldn't force me to buy it and if I had driven that new truck off of the lot it would have been all on me. I also got to see the hard numbers and thus I learned how much money I would need to put down to get a workable payment rate. In fact, I learned the smartest thing to do is save my money and buy the next vehicle outright.

So there is plenty of blame to go around and if you want to stick bankers in prison then we should also lock up some of those home buyers who were gaming the system as well.

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    It took two to tango.

You also had people applying for loans that they knew they couldn't afford in hoped of flipping their new house in six months for a tidy profit. I warned people on this board as long ago as 2002 that there was something fishy going on in the housing market and I'm not all that bright so if I could see it then others should have as well.

Greedy Lenders + Greedy Buyers = Bad Situation.

When I feel like risking my money I go to Vegas because it's more fun and good looking women bring you free drinks.

True story:

In 1992 I went into the Nissan dealer to have my truck serviced and I ended up buying a new truck. I figured that since my credit rating was so bad that there was no way they'd get financing. I was wrong and I ending up paying $21,000 for a $14,000 truck because of finance charges. Like I said, I'm an idiot.

Flash forward to last December, I'm at the dealership having my truck serviced and a young salesman pounces on me. I figure that since my truck is now 15 years old and has 230,000 miles on her that I should at least start to look for a replacement. I tell the kid that I'm not in the market but I'll humor him and go through the process. The best they can do is $467 a month and I tell them that my limit is $195 a month. They give me the whole song and dance about how great an offer this was and the usual by-the-book sales tack and I countered with the fact that I expected gas to reach $5.00 a gallon ( we came close) and that their best rate was no realistic in any way. I also didn't like the new Frontier either, the four cylinder is way underpowered for it's size and weight and it doesn't get as good gas mileage as my current truck.

Bottom line, I knew what I could afford and if they couldn't meet that price I didn't buy it. They couldn't force me to buy it and if I had driven that new truck off of the lot it would have been all on me. I also got to see the hard numbers and thus I learned how much money I would need to put down to get a workable payment rate. In fact, I learned the smartest thing to do is save my money and buy the next vehicle outright.

So there is plenty of blame to go around and if you want to stick bankers in prison then we should also lock up some of those home buyers who were gaming the system as well.
    Totally one hundred percent agreed. Banks should be able to charge whatever they want and financing should be as creative legally as it can possibly be. Good deals can and will be had in a free market competing for business. Consumers need to sort the wheat from the chaff and assume responsibilities for understanding and managing their finances. Sometimes tough lessons just need to be learned. Banks are not responsible. People are.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Totally one hundred percent agreed. Banks should be able to charge whatever they want and financing should be as creative legally as it can possibly be. Good deals can and will be had in a free market competing for business. Consumers need to sort the wheat from the chaff and assume responsibilities for understanding and managing their finances. Sometimes tough lessons just need to be learned. Banks are not responsible. People are.
    Great post...both of you! I totally agree. I was shocked when my husband and I were 22 and were seeing couples our age buying brand new "dream homes." I KNEW what my husband made and knew he was making at least twice what these people were bringing in annually. But yep, you guessed it...a lot of these people became "house poor." We bought a small town home for a really cheap price when we were about 25yrs. old. We paid more than our monthly mortgage when we could b/c my husband hates carrying a debt. We had the thing paid off within about 5yrs. So, instead of running out and buying a dream home, we went without a mortgage for the next 5yrs. and saved saved saved. Bottom line is that we live below our means. Sure, if we WANTED to get approved for a freakin' ridiculous house we could. We know too many that live above their means and live on credit. It's nuts!!! A lot of people might think our thinking is bizarre but I'll tell you one thing...we've never carried a balance on a credit card (and use our cc for everything to earn air miles), we sleep well at night, and we haven't had an argument about money since our 2nd year of marriage and we've been married 16yrs.! I'll take that over a house and two cars I can't afford with outrageous interest rates anyday...
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

+1 to Axx & Seen but really to you KT. We rented the first 14 yrs of marriage & only built once our land was paid for & we had enough saved so as to not be S.I.T.C.O.M.

Those years of saving & paying off the little patch of heaven we now live on were definitely worth it. We still played our share but not like most we knew. Hind sight being 20/20 like it is, the only thing I would do differently would be to have flipped a couple houses locally & had less mortgage now. 1 car payment & a mortgage are the only debt we have. It does make for easier sleeping at night.
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 08.05.08 at 04:50 PM.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford