Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Van Halen Facts

OK I tried to look these up by searching the threads and posts, but I couldn't find them. I know these have had to be discussed before, but I have never heard 1, 3 and 7. Can anybody verify?

10 Things You Didn’t Know (or don’t want to know) About Van Halen!

1. Though it was confirmed that original bassist Michael Anthony had officially left Van Halen in 2006, his ousting can be traced back a decade when he played on only three of the twelve tracks on 1998’s pitiful Van Halen III. Reportedly, the Van Halen brothers also did not want the bass player to be involved with the 2004 reunion but Sammy Hagar insisted, refusing to participate if Anthony were not reinstated in the bassist role. In the end Anthony agreed to be paid less.

2. In 1977, future “Family Jewels” reality series star Gene Simmons saw one of Van Halen’s shows and financed their first demo tape. Simmons supposedly wanted to change the band’s name to “Daddy Longlegs” and had even designed possible album cover art depicting a daddy longlegs wearing a top hat. Realizing the name was ultra lame, the band stuck with the Van Halen moniker.

3. Sticking with the KISS theme, according to Gene Simmons, Eddie Van Halen reportedly approached the bassist in the early eighties about the possibility of joining KISS as their new guitarist, replacing a strung out Ace Frehley. Simmons ultimately convinced Eddie to stay with Van Halen while KISS decided to go with Vinnie Vincent (yes folks, you read that right).

4. None of the group’s David Lee Roth era albums ever hit the coveted #1 spot on the Billboard album chart, while all four of “Van Hagar’s” studio albums did, starting with 1986’s 5150.

5. The infamous “M&M candy” removal stipulation did in fact exist. In the early eighties, the band’s contract rider specified that a bowl of M&M candies, with all of the brown ones removed, was to be available in their dressing room. Years later, David Lee Roth refuted this demand as not one of diva behaviour, but a safety precaution signifying that the staff were correctly reading and honouring the technical and safety provisions in the contract. If brown M&M’s were in the bowl, then the band had reason to believe that the other demands of the contract were also not being fulfilled.

6. Eddie Van Halen was not paid for that killer solo he did on Michael Jackson’s mega hit “Beat It.” The guitarist performed two takes, supposedly the better one was chosen, and the rest is history.

7. Eddie pissed off Kurt Cobain. Before a December 1993 Nirvana show in Los Angeles, Eddie Van Halen was seen and heard backstage begging Kurt Cobain if he could jam with the grunge band that night. Annoyed, Cobain replied, “No, you can’t play with us. We don’t have any extra guitars.” Persisting on, the heavily intoxicated Van Halen, who was on his knees, shouted out, “Well, let me play the Mexican’s (referring to Nirvana touring guitarist Pat Smear) guitar. What is he, is he Mexican? Is he black?” Seeing all this, filmmaker Dave Markey, who was videotaping the show that night, turned off his camera in pity of the inebriated Van Halen, thus saving future generations from witnessing this fiasco on youtube.

8. Not only is Sammy Hagar rich from his successful tenure as frontman for Van Halen, but the Red Rocker just recently sold an 80% interest in his Cabo Wabo Tequila to Gruppo Campari, the seventh-largest spirits company in the world, for $80 million.

9. David Lee Roth is a trained paramedic having been on hundreds of individual ambulance rides in New York City. He once even saved the life of a Bronx woman who had a heart attack by shocking her back to life with a defibrillator.

10. Eddie Van Halen once wrote and performed two songs for an adult film titled Sacred Sin. “I like his (director Michael Ninn) work,” Van Halen told adult site AVN.com in 2006. “Michael Ninn is like a Spielberg to me: the imagery, the way he makes things look, just...sensual.” Yeah, and Peter North is like Harrison Ford. Give us a break.

Number 7 pisses me off!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,295 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think number seven is bullshit. It would have been published.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!
    Last Online

08.31.12 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Number 1: I believe the main source for this is Michael Anthony's interview with Japanese magazine "Burrn!" in 2006. The thread which discussed that interview can be found here:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/the-...0.html?t=30700

Incidentally, I believe that this interview is one of the main reasons that the VH brothers ultimately decided to get rid of Mikey once and for all because of all the dirty laundry that Mikey discussed in the interview.

Number 3: I know Gene Simmons mentioned this in his autobiography "Kiss and Make-up". Is it true? Well, it depends on how much credibility you think Gene Simmons has (I think it's true, BTW).

Number 7: I don't know if this happened for a fact, but I have read accounts of this before in the book "Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal" by David Konow.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I heard a different version of #7 years ago... there was a guy somewhere in the [Raleigh] area that was supposedly some sort of tech/roadie for Nirvana. The version I heard was little different, a lot more ridiculous, and I don't believe it. This one... eh, all the bands in the world he shows up drunk at a Nirvana show, gets turned down, and never does it again? Seems like a long shot to me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Cup View Post
    Number 1: I believe the main source for this is Michael Anthony's interview with Japanese magazine "Burrn!" in 2006. The thread which discussed that interview can be found here:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/the-...0.html?t=30700

Incidentally, I believe that this interview is one of the main reasons that the VH brothers ultimately decided to get rid of Mikey once and for all because of all the dirty laundry that Mikey discussed in the interview.

Number 3: I know Gene Simmons mentioned this in his autobiography "Kiss and Make-up". Is it true? Well, it depends on how much credibility you think Gene Simmons has (I think it's true, BTW).

Number 7: I don't know if this happened for a fact, but I have read accounts of this before in the book "Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal" by David Konow.
    I read about number 7 in that book too. I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened but I really don't have any reason to doubt it.

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I think number seven is bullshit. It would have been published.
    All those facts listed we know already know. #7 fact was published in Rolling Stone magazine for an interview with Courtney Love back in 94 or 95.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Saywin View Post
    OK I tried to look these up by searching the threads and posts, but I couldn't find them. I know these have had to be discussed before, but I have never heard 1, 3 and 7. Can anybody verify?

10 Things You Didn’t Know (or don’t want to know) About Van Halen!

1. Though it was confirmed that original bassist Michael Anthony had officially left Van Halen in 2006, his ousting can be traced back a decade when he played on only three of the twelve tracks on 1998’s pitiful Van Halen III. Reportedly, the Van Halen brothers also did not want the bass player to be involved with the 2004 reunion but Sammy Hagar insisted, refusing to participate if Anthony were not reinstated in the bassist role. In the end Anthony agreed to be paid less.

2. In 1977, future “Family Jewels” reality series star Gene Simmons saw one of Van Halen’s shows and financed their first demo tape. Simmons supposedly wanted to change the band’s name to “Daddy Longlegs” and had even designed possible album cover art depicting a daddy longlegs wearing a top hat. Realizing the name was ultra lame, the band stuck with the Van Halen moniker.

3. Sticking with the KISS theme, according to Gene Simmons, Eddie Van Halen reportedly approached the bassist in the early eighties about the possibility of joining KISS as their new guitarist, replacing a strung out Ace Frehley. Simmons ultimately convinced Eddie to stay with Van Halen while KISS decided to go with Vinnie Vincent (yes folks, you read that right).

4. None of the group’s David Lee Roth era albums ever hit the coveted #1 spot on the Billboard album chart, while all four of “Van Hagar’s” studio albums did, starting with 1986’s 5150.

5. The infamous “M&M candy” removal stipulation did in fact exist. In the early eighties, the band’s contract rider specified that a bowl of M&M candies, with all of the brown ones removed, was to be available in their dressing room. Years later, David Lee Roth refuted this demand as not one of diva behaviour, but a safety precaution signifying that the staff were correctly reading and honouring the technical and safety provisions in the contract. If brown M&M’s were in the bowl, then the band had reason to believe that the other demands of the contract were also not being fulfilled.

6. Eddie Van Halen was not paid for that killer solo he did on Michael Jackson’s mega hit “Beat It.” The guitarist performed two takes, supposedly the better one was chosen, and the rest is history.

7. Eddie pissed off Kurt Cobain. Before a December 1993 Nirvana show in Los Angeles, Eddie Van Halen was seen and heard backstage begging Kurt Cobain if he could jam with the grunge band that night. Annoyed, Cobain replied, “No, you can’t play with us. We don’t have any extra guitars.” Persisting on, the heavily intoxicated Van Halen, who was on his knees, shouted out, “Well, let me play the Mexican’s (referring to Nirvana touring guitarist Pat Smear) guitar. What is he, is he Mexican? Is he black?” Seeing all this, filmmaker Dave Markey, who was videotaping the show that night, turned off his camera in pity of the inebriated Van Halen, thus saving future generations from witnessing this fiasco on youtube.

8. Not only is Sammy Hagar rich from his successful tenure as frontman for Van Halen, but the Red Rocker just recently sold an 80% interest in his Cabo Wabo Tequila to Gruppo Campari, the seventh-largest spirits company in the world, for $80 million.

9. David Lee Roth is a trained paramedic having been on hundreds of individual ambulance rides in New York City. He once even saved the life of a Bronx woman who had a heart attack by shocking her back to life with a defibrillator.

10. Eddie Van Halen once wrote and performed two songs for an adult film titled Sacred Sin. “I like his (director Michael Ninn) work,” Van Halen told adult site AVN.com in 2006. “Michael Ninn is like a Spielberg to me: the imagery, the way he makes things look, just...sensual.” Yeah, and Peter North is like Harrison Ford. Give us a break.

Number 7 pisses me off!!!!
    I had actually heard #7 before.. was a big Cobain fan back in the day and I remember all the talk that went on about that. How you doin btw Saywin?
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed's ego

I just don't see Eddie's ego letting this happen. I really just don't see it!!!

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

I've never ever heard the one about Curbain. Is it mentioned in the new "Everybody wants some" book. I'm still yet to get it.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Last Online

08.05.08 @ 10:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More facts:

jump is the only VH song to hit #1

Van Roth outsold Van Hagar 2 to 1

Hagar was not the first choice to replace Roth. Luckily for him and unluckily for us Ed's car broke down or he would still be a nobody.

Van Roth was hard rockin' cutting edge music while Van Hagar was pussified, commerical, top 40 rock.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Booth View Post
    More facts:

Hagar was not the first choice to replace Roth. Luckily for him and unluckily for us Ed's car broke down or he would still be a nobody.

Van Roth was hard rockin' cutting edge music while Van Hagar was pussified, commerical, top 40 rock.
    Just get off it will ya? Seriously, nobody gives a shit what you or anybody else has to say about VH with Hagar, they had some great songs okay? I admit they were not what the original four was, but Hagar has been a SOMEBODY since he fronted a fairly successful band called Montrose. Sure he wasn't VH caliber on his own, but Roth wasn't dick without VH either.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,295 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    Roth wasn't dick without VH either.
    A Paramedic.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    A Paramedic.
    Fair enough. But I think you see my point, lol, but well said nonetheless.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Children, let's stop the horseplay around here! (he he).

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Booth View Post
    More facts:

See ya.