Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Sunday, 8/3 - Pacific Amphitheatre, Costa Mesa, CA

Alright guys, I just got my ticket to this show which may have been dumb since I'm going in alone and taking a train from LA since I'm without a car. I just moved here, okay? Cut me some slack...haha. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else is going. All I know of is Van Squalen. If there's anyone going from the LA area, I'd be more than happy to pay full gas for a round trip. This just doesn't sound like a show I can miss. I'm actually going more for the Scorps than Sammy :O

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I don't blame you. I'd go too if I could. Especially for the Scorps but having Mikey and Sammy there is an added bonus to me.

Hope you have a great time at the show. Post a review if you can.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

If you are going to a Scorpions/Hagar show, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You have the full protection of LMR5150. Just post the setlist. You are the man: you just witnessed 2 kick-ass bands.
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

I'm still holding out hope they do a mini jam at the end with each other...Klaus, Sam, Mike, Matthias, Rudolph, kickin' out some deep cut Zeppelin or Kansas or Boston cover.

Tomorrow night is going to be fun. I'll have pics and a review, somewhere in here, Sam's forum or the Non Scorps thread, I guess.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

That sounds like a hell of a night let us know VS.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

I stand corrected. Sammy was definitely the show to see. I saw the same type of show a few summers back from him (with the crowd of people on stage and tequilla waitresses), but this one was a lot more exciting. He cut out most of the BS and drunken promotional rambling and just pumped out song after song. Sammy seemed rejuvenated. The beach bum routine being replaced by a more enthusiastic party thrower on a mission to rock hard and give it all he's got. I was very impressed by his band this time around. The drummer especially. Even Vic Johnson has improved (although he still doesn't know what to do with the "Good Enough" solo).

The show hit a bit of a slow spot halfway through, but "Serious Juju" woke most people up...and if that didn't...Mikey sure as hell did! Yup, "we got Mad Anthony in the house!" Sammy mentioned how much he missed Mike since he wasn't playing with him earlier this year. Mikey played "Good Enough," "Why Can't This Be Love?" (which was added last minute by Sammy as I saw him run to each of his bandmates...perhaps replacing the acoustic version of "Dreams" that wasn't getting a good response the past few shows?), and "Best of Both Worlds" before the show concluded with Mona AND Mikey on bass and all sorts of other shenanigans and musicians on stage.

A couple of other notes:
    - Sammy's voice sounds just as good as it did before the "Balance" tour. Yeah...He sounds BETTER than he did thirteen years ago!...and he's 60! The R'nR Hall of Fame performance scared me into thinking he lost it, but that must have just been an off night.
    - Sammy dedicated "Where Eagles Fly" to Ed Leffler which I thought was very cool. The song was also the '95 tour version with extra electric guitar added. Very powerful live.

Next up was the Scorps. I knew they would have trouble getting the crowd excited since Sammy was all about the fun and...well...the Scorpions has always been more on the serious side.

The show opened with a terrible song from their new album (which I mostly enjoy, by the way) called "Hour 1." The song has no melody and is very bland and dark. I don't know whose idea it was to start with this song, but it doesn't work. Also, the sound was extremely quiet compared to Sammy's set (noise ordinance in effect?) and any power the song would have had was missing. The volume slowly panned up, but I still could hear the people next to me talk...never a good sign. The band continued alternating between popular songs and lesser known ones until about midway through their set. Then they really started hitting it hard with songs like "Dynamite" but stopped again for a drum solo and extended bongo hitting by the rest of the band. Boring. Thank God the last act was comprised of pure rock-radio hits and some of the best songs ever to hit rock airwaves or they would have been a letdown. Overall, the Scorpions still can rock but the band needs to put someone else in charge of their setlist. Klaus Meine still can nail every song too, so just listening to him makes it worth it.

I don't know why I chose to write a review now...three days later...at 4am, but it is what it is. What did you think Van Squalen?

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

My review is in the other thread, man. And the Scorps thread in Non as well. But yes, Sam and crew outplayed the Scorpions, which is totally against expectations.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I'm looking foward to seeing him on the east coast in the next year.

I moved to LA once and bought tix to see the KISS farewell tour and The Who- Quadrophenia tour, in the mid 90's. I found if you buy two tixs it doesn't take long to find someone to go with you and you can get that person to drive. ;o)
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/