Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,465
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Likes
    10,316
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

    Default Most Underrated Van Halen Album

    Van Halen II

    While this album had the difficult task of following up one of the greatest debut albums in rock & roll history, I think it holds up extremely well more than 29 years after its release back in 1979. In fact, I think it sounds far less dated than 1986's "5150", which, IMO, was an outstanding album and the best from the Hagar-era.

    Songs like "Dance The Night Away", "Somebody Get Me A Doctor", "Light Up The Sky", "D.O.A." and "Beautiful Girls" are some of my favorite Van Halen tunes. IMO, there isn't a bad song on the album. I can throw VH II on at anytime and I'm never tempted to hit the skip button on any track. Only the incredible "Van Halen" and "Fair Warning" outshine "VH II" in the Van Halen catalog.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  2. #2
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Fair Warning.

    Just looking at the sales for this album leaves me scratching my head. Not a dud on the entire album IMO, although it does have a 'darker' feeling than some of their earlier work.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,213
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Diver.

    The four originals unfairly get overlooked because of the covers.

    But those four tracks are on a par with 'Warning grade tuneage.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,109
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    The next one.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,465
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Likes
    10,316
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Diver.

    The four originals unfairly get overlooked because of the covers.

    But those four tracks are on a par with 'Warning grade tuneage.
    VS,

    While I agree that the four originals on "DD" are nails, the rest of the songs just don't do it for me. People always bag on "Dancin' In The Streets", but "Pretty Woman" really isn't any better. I can remember back in 1982 when "PW" was released as a single. I was driving home from work and "PW" came on the radio. It was immediately followed on the radio by Black Sabbath's "Turn Up The Night" from "The Mob Rules" album. I remember thinking to myself, "Damn, that Black Sabbath song just kicked ass all over that Van Halen song!" Not a good feeling.

    IMO, "Diver Down" sounds like it was quickly and carelessly thrown together to capitalize on the commercial success of the "Pretty Woman" single. This is, no doubt, because it was. Can you imagine how strong "DD" could have been if they had replaced "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", "Pretty Woman", "Dancin' In The Streets" and "Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)" with some of the never released songs such as "Let's Get Rockin'", "Big Trouble", "Babe Don't Leave Me Alone" and "She's The Woman"?

    Eddie Van Halen was so upset by the song selection from "Diver Down" that he decided to build the "5150" studio in his backyard. I, for one, don't blame him. While I will occasionally give "DD" a spin in the CD player, I would much rather listen to "VH", "VH II", "WACF", "FW" or "1984". IMO, "Diver Down" is undoubtedly the "Weak Sister" of the "6-Pack" from the DLR-era.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium hatchetforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Age
    52
    Location
    Marblehead, Mass.
    Posts
    5,288
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    IMHO the most under-rated unreleased, VH song (yeah it's an album thread) was "Bullethead"

    . . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,465
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Likes
    10,316
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Fair Warning.

    Just looking at the sales for this album leaves me scratching my head. Not a dud on the entire album IMO, although it does have a 'darker' feeling than some of their earlier work.
    Underrated with the general public, but certainly not with the hardcore fanbase. I believe "Fair Warning" almost always comes in first on this website whenever there is a "Favorite Van Halen Album" poll.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,465
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Likes
    10,316
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchetforce View Post
    IMHO the most under-rated unreleased, VH song (yeah it's an album thread) was "Bullethead"
    You may be right. "The Atomic Punks" do a phenomenal studio version of "Bullethead". It used to be available on youtube.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  9. #9
    Baluchitherium hatchetforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Age
    52
    Location
    Marblehead, Mass.
    Posts
    5,288
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Always loved that lost track ~ thanks for not posting "Meh"

    . . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

  10. #10
    Good Enough vcooper3's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,228
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Likes
    835
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I'd say Women and Children First. And the Cradle Will Rock, Everybody Wants Some and Romeo Delight are great songs IMO. They were 3 of my favorite live songs from the '07/'08 tour.

  11. #11
    Banned! i1sum2!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.06
    Location
    at the Bunny Ranch
    Posts
    1,871
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

    01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    IMO, "Diver Down" sounds like it was quickly and carelessly thrown together to capitalize on the commercial success of the "Pretty Woman" single. This is, no doubt, because it was. Can you imagine how strong "DD" could have been if they had replaced "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", "Pretty Woman", "Dancin' In The Streets" and "Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)" with some of the never released songs such as "Let's Get Rockin'", "Big Trouble", "Babe Don't Leave Me Alone" and "She's The Woman"?

    Eddie Van Halen was so upset by the song selection from "Diver Down" that he decided to build the "5150" studio in his backyard. I, for one, don't blame him. While I will occasionally give "DD" a spin in the CD player, I would much rather listen to "VH", "VH II", "WACF", "FW" or "1984". IMO, "Diver Down" is undoubtedly the "Weak Sister" of the "6-Pack" from the DLR-era.
    Back then, the philosophy was record then tour to support it. Wash, rinse and repeat. Slam it out to the masses as quickly as possible because the record company demanded that. When it came to Diver, they added the covers because both Dave and Ted Templeman said that if you took a previous hit, you were halfway there. Or something was said like that. I remember reading about that. I kind of think that Ed was out ruled here. This was back when they decided upon things together, mind you. So that's how the record ended up, like it or not. It also provided Ed and Alex a chance to record a song (Big Bad Bill) with their dad on clarinet. So I doubt Ed objected too much about that one. I have also read that yeah, he wanted to have nothing but originals. They probably could have added Let's Get Rockin' etc., but they definitely would have had to polish them up imo. Ed has also said that DD was Dave's record and FW was his. That's pretty obvious too.

    Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    I'd say Women and Children First. And the Cradle Will Rock, Everybody Wants Some and Romeo Delight are great songs IMO.
    For me, the most underrated record hands down is WACF. This is clearly when they gelled as a band and were firing on all eight cylinders. As a unit, and not any one member trying to outshine the others. Great harmonization was on this record in abundance, Ed's tone was imo, as good if not better than on FW. Slanderous, you say! Says I. Ed's sick playing on the intro to Take Your Whiskey Home is incredible. Loss Of Control may be the one song they did that might could be called Metal. They were always hard rock, but that song, maybe it was something else entirely. Tora Tora was just another one of Ed's fascinating creations placed deliberately in front of a song (kinda like Intruder was before Pretty Woman on DD) and works well. The last two songs are a perfect close out. The whole record just flows from start to finish imo. A lot of people really don't get the record, and then there are some of us who do. Brilliant stuff.
    Last edited by i1sum2!; 08.02.08 at 03:56 PM.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,213
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Eddie Van Halen was so upset by the song selection from "Diver Down" that he decided to build the "5150" studio in his backyard. I, for one, don't blame him. While I will occasionally give "DD" a spin in the CD player, I would much rather listen to "VH", "VH II", "WACF", "FW" or "1984". IMO, "Diver Down" is undoubtedly the "Weak Sister" of the "6-Pack" from the DLR-era.
    While you're correct about Ed's feelings and the way DD got cut under what circumstances, and while I'm no fan of Pretty Woman or DITS, I dig BBB and WHATGTG. Plus Cathedral. So, in junction with the four original tracks, I think Diver's the underdog that should garner more respect than it does. Hell, LG and FB alone trump what I consider to be the limpdick standout in the six pack - 1984. Yep, I said it. '84's a really glossy pop schmaltz compilation compared to the gritty brown sound tone of the former five albums, with the exceptions of HFT, HOP, and GGB, which are admittedly blistering tracks, but they're lacquered and polished too. And the whole first side is sooooooooo overrated with their WORST song with Dave - Jump - plus Panama and Drop Dead Legs are fan faves, but just don't have that brown crunch they should, whereas Diver still has the hungry gravelley mix reminiscent of Warning and WACF.

    1984 is when they really went pop and glammed it up. Not 5150.

    And that's why I think the first five albums are better than the sixth.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    II

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk smithjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.12.00
    Location
    The US of A
    Posts
    16,463
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

    08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Likes
    130
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I gotta go with Diver Down here. I have a lot of good memories with these tunes, plus it's got Intruder and The Full Bug. I love those tunes. Yet the only tune ever heard is Dancin in the Streets. WTF???

    Where Have all the Good Times Gone? Indeed.

    After DD, I'd have to go with VHII. My fave party album but rarely played anywhere. The only tune ever heard is Dance The Night Away.

    Please don't mention 1984 again. Thank you.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

    "A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One



  15. #15
    Little Dreamer FrankieG5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.02
    Age
    36
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    16
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    08.08.15 @ 08:02 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    I agree that Diver Down is an underrated album. Secrets is one of VH's most underrated songs.
    Frank Galimidi BS,CASAC,CAP,ICADC


    " Lights..... Camera.....AAAACTION!!!!
    Dirty Movies

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. F.U.C.K. is the best Van Halen album!!!
    By VH1988 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 08.02.08, 05:45 PM
  2. Most underrated / underappreciated VH songs from each album.
    By atomicpunk5150 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02.22.06, 07:46 AM
  3. Most Underrated 70's Hard Rockin Album?
    By Cabo Gary in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08.07.05, 08:50 AM
  4. Most Underrated VH Album
    By JudgementDay in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07.21.05, 07:14 PM
  5. VAN HALEN first album
    By boatontheriver70 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.08.05, 10:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •