Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.11.12 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wofgang Special HELP!

Hey all,
    I just picked up a Wolfgang Special, quilted top in what looks like a deep turquoise blue. It also has the D-Tuna...How do I-
    A: Tell if it's an American made model or Korean
    B: Tell what it's worth? It's in tip-top shape.
    Any other info would be very helpful. I have a gold wolfie that I bought in Korea, and the PEAVEY stickers are actually stickers! I watched the guy put them on in the store.
    Thanks!
    Nate

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All quilted wolf specials were made in Korea, unless they are EVH custom shop special orders

Ry

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It's a Wolfgang Special EXP--made in Korea. They originally listed for $899 and sold new for anywhere from $425 to $650.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weird...My gold wolfie doesn't have the adjustment wheel at the bottom of the neck, whereas this one does...any personal thoughts on the guitar? Don't get me wrong, I dig it, I'm just looking for info. It came with the spiffy franky striped gig bag, which is probably worth what I payed for the guitar.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

posting some pics would help

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried that, but it looks like I'm not allowed to post attachments...odd. I suppose that's because I don't post often? Suggestions?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, I got to looking at the Wolfie that I bought in Korea...It's an archtop, WITH a tilted headstock and rock maple neck. When I bought it, the guy (Jin was his name) told us that the machine to burn the signature into the guitar hadn't arrived yet. This things a trip. The blue quilt has a flat top and a straight headstock.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar5150! View Post
    Also, I got to looking at the Wolfie that I bought in Korea...It's an archtop, WITH a tilted headstock and rock maple neck. When I bought it, the guy (Jin was his name) told us that the machine to burn the signature into the guitar hadn't arrived yet. This things a trip. The blue quilt has a flat top and a straight headstock.
    All Wolfgangs had the adjustment wheel at the heel of the neck. I've never seen one that has anything else. Your gold one is either a very early model or a fake. Post some pics (you can embed them or put them on a hosting site), and I'll probably be able to tell you if it's the real deal or not.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

You'll wanna check out the email response I sent you, dude.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Sounds like a fake to me... I would imagine that all Wolfgangs (regardless of what model), would leave the factories they were made in with the signature already burnt into the neck... I'm also pretty sure that they would leave the same factories with the Peavey logos already on them... and not stuck on by guitar shop employees...

I hope you didn't pay much for it...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To clarify...I've always know the Gold Wolfie was a fake. I also knew that they were making them over there and figured it was a second, or that the boys had just assembled some seconds and were selling them on the side. Regardless, it has a good sound.

The special that I just bought doesn't have the sig on the back though...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Sounds like a fake to me... I would imagine that all Wolfgangs (regardless of what model), would leave the factories they were made in with the signature already burnt into the neck... I'm also pretty sure that they would leave the same factories with the Peavey logos already on them... and not stuck on by guitar shop employees...

I hope you didn't pay much for it...
    The very early EXP's didn't have the sig on the neck, a sure way to spot an EXP, at least an early EXP. I just bought one a few weeks ago. And the serial number is printed on, as opposed to being stamped into the wood....the serial number being printed instead of stamped is a sure, without question, way of knowing it is an EXP.
    Last edited by The Dude; 08.02.08 at 08:55 AM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yup. The new one has it printed, as opposed to stamped. Were there/are there ever any huge issues with the EXP's vs the USA made ones?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yup. The new one has it printed, as opposed to stamped. Were there/are there ever any huge issues with the EXP's vs the USA made ones?

It depends on who you ask. Most people will say the EXP's aren't quite the same quality of the USA made one's. Over the years, I have owned probably about ten different Wolfs, my fav was a black archtop stoptail produced in 1999. I've also owned a couple of the EXP's. As mentioned earlier, just took delivery on one about two weeks ago. I like the EXP's alot.

Guitars are like women to a certain degree. They are all similar, but different, and when you find that one that has that certain growl you love, you should hold onto it. Hence my regret for selling the black hardtail.

But there is nothing IMO wrong with an EXP. Exceptional guitars IMO. The one I just purchased is perhaps not quite warm enough for my tastes, but I just dial in the eq on the amp. Enjoy it for what it is brotha.

Oh, and BTW, AT will chime in on this, he is the true expert on Wofies here. He'll give you all the dirt on the EXP's.
    Last edited by The Dude; 08.02.08 at 10:00 AM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Already been in contact with AT a couple times (Thanks man!) and he helped alot as well. I definitley appreciate all the feedback.