Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 788 Times in 474 Posts

Default Absence of new (old) Club Days bootlegs

Where the hell are they? All of these years that went by, several times each year a new/old boot would pop up with unreleased songs (originals and covers) from as long as I can remember. All the sudden, there haven't been any showing up in the recent years--since '03. That was the shows with "Get Down Tonight," "Trampled Under Foot," etc. At least some 1980 video has been let out, no new audio from the old days. Weird. Wonder why?
    I think "Shape You're In" was the last unreleased original I ever heard.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Consider the era. Unlike today when people have cellphones that allow them to capture a concert performance on video, in the mid to late seventies folks had to lug around a tape recorder the size of a Volvo and needed to stop by KMart to buy a dozen or so "D" batteries to power the damned thing. Sneaking one of these monstrosities into a show under your silk shirt was more or less like trying to hide an elephant in your sock drawer.

And even if you did succeed in getting the thing inside the venue, the overall fidelity of whatever you managed to record would turn out so utterly dismal that more often than not you'd end up taping over it, providing you remembered to flip the tape over or replace it every 30 minutes in the first place.

Pretty much the same standard held for video. Why do you think the chiropractic field flourished so well during this time period? Video cameras at the time weighed as much as a tool shed, were roughly the size of a BBQ grill and required up to 5 hands to focus, film and reload.

From such a technologically primitive time, we are fortunate to even have any cultural evidence, let alone artifacts proving what went on.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 08.01.08 at 10:05 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well, in a lot of cases those early recordings of VH shows are terrific quality, and far exceed even the bootleg stuff from some of the 07-08 shows. I'm surprised at how good some of the very early recordings are. They get progressively worse as VH moved into larger venues and began playing in front of huge crowds, but the early ones can be pretty terrific.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Consider the era. Unlike today when people have cellphones that allow them to capture a concert performance on video, in the mid to late seventies folks had to lug around a tape recorder the size of a Volvo and needed to stop by KMart to buy a dozen or so "D" batteries to power the damned thing. Sneaking one of these monstrosities into a show under your silk shirt was more or less like trying to hide an elephant in your sock drawer.

And even if you did succeed in getting the thing inside the venue, the overall fidelity of whatever you managed to record would turn out so utterly dismal that more often than not you'd end up taping over it, providing you remembered to flip the tape over or replace it every 30 minutes in the first place.

Pretty much the same standard held for video. Why do you think the chiropractic field flourished so well during this time period? Video cameras at the time weighed as much as a tool shed, were roughly the size of a BBQ grill and required up to 5 hands to focus, film and reload.

From such a technologically primitive time, we are fortunate to even have any cultural evidence, let alone artifacts proving what went on.
    Amen to that, and it didn't improve greatly in the 80s either. Had a friend that tried to do some recording at various shows and when he did actually get something to record, it sounded like the band was in a tin can. Of course, being as how many of those shows were at the old Sportatorium, one might have expected that.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 788 Times in 474 Posts

Yes, that is true that there wasn't as much technology then, but there were shitloads of bootlegs being released from then all up the way until 2003 and then it just stopped. Is that era for bootleg recordings all milked?
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure they're just running out of stuff... how many people were bringing recorders in to VH shows in '76? And yea, you couldn't just slip one into your pocket back then.

And I agree, the sound quality of the new bootlegs isn't as good as some of the old ones I've heard. I have some Phish field recorder bootlegs that sound like they came off the soundboard. Wish the VH stuff was like that

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I point to two separate comments that lead me to believe that video footage MUST exist of Van Halen pre 1978.

The most important one is found on the Early Days VH video that came out a few years back. Jim Dandy says that David Lee Roth personally came to him with a video camera and asked if he (Dave) could tape Black Oak Arkansas at the Whisky. Jim Dandy says he had no problem with Dave taping him. That's HUGE!

Second, Dave mentions in his book that he had a great relationship with Bill Gazarri and that Bill was into video very early on.

Put those two things together and I have to believe that footage exists of Van Halen rehearsing, playing live, or likely both before they ever had a sniff at a record contract.

Strangely though, I've never seen anyone jump on these two statements.